San Diego
Name
AP
Boat
73 Boston Whaler 16'7
I’ll keep it short and simple.

Launched at Dana Landing 5:30am

Bait stop 5:45am.

Bait condition was 3-6” sardines, with some healthy 4-8” greenbacks mixed in.

6:15 daybreak, Quick stop at the 270, drift fished the middle of it around 250’-260’, up to the N end. No current and no bites.

Moved up the line to the 32 fathom area for a few biters. Couple of healthy blue rockfish and one very healthy 15” sculpin. Fished the area until 8am and made the move inside, towards the bump.

Here’s what we found. All you can eat on the healthy grade California whitefish, a few more blue rockfish, treefish, some more sculpin, and a few smaller reds. All that stuff was on fresh dead squid I picked up at Lucky Seafood the night prior.

Changed up the bait to frozen, shell on, head off shrimp, as we found a spot really close to the bump that produced a sheephead on every other drop on the shrimp. We released about 5 shorts and kept 6, between 13” to 19”.

Water seemed to be cleaner inside than out in La Jolla. Around 11am, we had a spot of yellowtail puddle up, chasing mackerel out of the surface about 40 yards off our transom. Threw a green/white Tady at em, no takers and they were gone, just as fast as they came up, just outside of the NW corner. Also, dropped a sliding sinker rig with a greenback on it and drifted the area for about 45 minutes, and not even a sniff.

I did notice a lot of bait in different areas in La Jolla.

Anyway, good luck out there. Weather was beautiful and felt summer like...

(Day’s bounty added, cause it never happened w/out pics)

213B4F92-DD4F-4F36-AB44-72A53F81206E.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Great report! Was out last Wednesday for a few hrs before the wind creeped. One spot of yellows as u described.. but no luv. Looking forward as it warms up!

Upvote 0

Secutor54

May 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
AP
Boat
73 Boston Whaler 16'7
Great report! Was out last Wednesday for a few hrs before the wind creeped. One spot of yellows as u described.. but no luv. Looking forward as it warms up!

Yah man. Wind was nasty coming back in around 3pm. Flat calm all day, and that spot between Bird Rock and the pier was white capping on the way back. Had to apologize to my buddy for the bumpy ride back. Lol

Reactions: jeffkaiser
Upvote 0