La Jolla 12/21/2018

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Secutor54, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Secutor54

Secutor54 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    AP
    Boat:
    73 Boston Whaler 16'7
    Launched out of Dana Landing around 6:00 AM with my buddy Nick and his brother Brian. Picked up half scoop of some really healthy bait. Sardines about 4"- 6" and made our way up towards La Jolla to target Halibut and bottom dwellers.

Fog was a bit thick, with about .5 mile visibility and a bit on the colder side.

Around 6:30 AM, we arrived at La Jolla and began our first drift in 120' of water in 63 degree water. Conditions were super flat and glassy upon arrival. Which was a good thing to see because the trusty Windy App and NOAA marine forecasts were predicting 3'-5' swells. In a 17' Whaler, things can get a bit "hinky", if you know what I mean. Anyway, I fished a three-way on 30#, with a 1 circle hook and 3oz torpedo sinker on the first drift. Nose hooked bait.

10 minutes later, my buddy Nick sets the hook at the bottom and brings up the first fish of the day. Starry rockfish. A bit later, my rod gets slammed and a nice 3-4# Calico makes and addition to the crew. Brian in the meantime, is killing the whitefish, on the smaller side, but he is building his bounty for the day. Pretty steady rock fishing for the first couple hours.

About an hour after arrival, I see my three-way set up take a very subtle dip. I grab the rod and feel some weight to the line and I gently pull up on the rod, while taking some line back to set the hook. Will this be the day that I take my first La Jolla Halibut? I could feel some weight at the end of the line as I am retrieving my line and then it comes off. Quick head shake and it was off.

I bring up the bait for a quick inspection and with a quick keen observation, I observe teeth marks all over the sardine. The bait was raked from the middle and down towards the tail.

I set up the skiff for another drift over the same area, except this time I ass hooked my dine and sent it down. No more bites of the flat kind the rest of the day.

Flat fish nibbled at my bait and I missed my one and only shot. Win some, lose some kind of a deal. Now I know why the trap hook rig comes highly recommended when fishing for halibut. I am pretty certain, had I had a treble hook down towards the tail of the bait, I would have been eating halibut for Christmas this year. Oh well... Bullet down range and life goes on.

Around 11:00 AM, we saw some birds diving and working an area at the southwest corner. We got in front of them and starting throwing jigs. Colt Snipers, Tadys, etc... School of firecracker bonito and a few smaller yellows in the mix, feeding on a bait ball. My buddy Nick was able to land a bonito, but at the end of the day we couldn't get the yellows to go. We had some followers in that hour of fishing and actually saw some of them at or under the boat, but they just wouldn't go.

Heard some interesting chatter on 72 indicating the presence of tuna and wide open Bonito at the nine. The season that never ends. Also, some boys were pretty happy, fishing near Carlsbad yesterday morning.

Hope the report helps and tight lines everyone!

2. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Way to go guys!

Secutor54 likes this.
  3. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Read like a pleasant day in December.
    Nice.

Secutor54 likes this.
  4. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    The rig does help or you gotta let them swallow it. I've also had luck on pulling the bait at the very beginning of the bite then they slam it.

5. REELCLOSE

REELCLOSE Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    25' Reinell
    Nice report and details. Thanks.

Secutor54 likes this.
  6. Steveo77

Steveo77 Steveo77

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Grumpy
    Thanks for the report. You’ll get a 40# next time!

7. Hangfire

Hangfire Member

Name:
    GW
    Boat:
    Glastron Seafury
    Just tell yourself it was a lingcod bite you missed...then it doesn't hurt so bad, and just might actually be true.

Secutor54 and duckbutter6a like this.
  8. Jurel Hunter

Jurel Hunter It's JUST Fishing

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    FV Soldandgone
    nice report. don't worry -was prob a smaller fish. 3 way swivel makes it hard to let them pounce on and run w/ bait if you're drifting. maybe next time try adding separate swivel in front of your leader swivel and attach 1-2 ft of mono to tie on your weight/lead.

Secutor54 likes this.
  9. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Stinger hooks = dead shorts and other throwbacks

ol' salt, Secutor54 and sdjfish like this.
  10. Halibut Howie

Halibut Howie Member Since 2003

Name:
    Halibut Howie
    Boat:
    1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Boat Will Travel"
    I agree.

ol' salt, Jurel Hunter and Secutor54 like this.
  11. Secutor54

Secutor54 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    AP
    Boat:
    73 Boston Whaler 16'7
    Please explain... I’m not following. I don’t understand what you mean by adding another swivel in front of the leader, if I am already using a three-way swivel (One to main, one to weight and one to circle hook), how would adding an additional swivel in front of the weight leader make a difference? It would seem redundant to do that, if already fishing a three-way swivel.

12. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes

He is telling you not to use a three way swivel. A setup like the picture allows a fish to grab the bait without feeling the weight upon strike. Replace the plastic sleeve in the picture with another swivel. A rig like the one your using does not allow a fish to run with the bait for a few seconds to choke it down without feeling the torpedo weight.

17402715-A5C6-4B32-9A4E-4952763F3561.jpeg

Jurel Hunter, Secutor54 and fishsmith like this.