ChaseTheBait

Eat em raw
Mar 19, 2019
San Diego
Name
Chase
Boat
Carolina Skiff 1800
Fished La Jolla in the evening on Sunday. Made some bait around the kelp and brought it out for the slow troll, that got us a nice 7lb Bonito. Also picked up some calicos and sand bass on the vertical jig.

Once the sun started to set all of the boats pretty much left and I saw some bait boils pushed right up against the outside kelp line. Every cast on the colt sniper would get bit by a bonito. A big ~30 yard area was just blowing up in about 60ft of water, and I was casting in all directions around the boat for 2-4lb bonito. Like 5 sea lions rolled in so I was running back up to the top, drifting back through and casting in as fast as possible to get them to the boat. I hooked into something big that was tearing line right off the bat. We chased it around for a few minutes throwing bait in the other directions to try to keep the sea lions off of it. Got it close to the boat and the fat bastard seal took it, didn't get to see it. After that it was starting to get dark, I couldn't get another bite, and there were sea lions all over the damn place that wouldn't fuck off.

Was definitely a great day all and all, but hard to shake the loss...

Upvote 0

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
Sounds fun til the furbag showed up .
I hate them with a passion and they know it.
There's one at my slip that's been stalking me.

Screenshot_20201018-165530_Messages.jpg

Upvote 0

Tiagosahn

Jun 4, 2008
San Diego
www.prs24-7.com
Name
Tiagosahn
Boat
25' Hydrasport
Fished La Jolla in the evening on Sunday. Made some bait around the kelp and brought it out for the slow troll, that got us a nice 7lb Bonito. Also picked up some calicos and sand bass on the vertical jig.

Once the sun started to set all of the boats pretty much left and I saw some bait boils pushed right up against the outside kelp line. Every cast on the colt sniper would get bit by a bonito. A big ~30 yard area was just blowing up in about 60ft of water, and I was casting in all directions around the boat for 2-4lb bonito. Like 5 sea lions rolled in so I was running back up to the top, drifting back through and casting in as fast as possible to get them to the boat. I hooked into something big that was tearing line right off the bat. We chased it around for a few minutes throwing bait in the other directions to try to keep the sea lions off of it. Got it close to the boat and the fat bastard seal took it, didn't get to see it. After that it was starting to get dark, I couldn't get another bite, and there were sea lions all over the damn place that wouldn't fuck off.

Was definitely a great day all and all, but hard to shake the loss...
What color and oz colt?

Upvote 0

mykiss

(Oncorhynchus) mykiss...
Jul 6, 2014
Name
Wallace Mathes
Boat
'95 Proline 210 Sportsman
Clay pellets from a hunting slingshot are legal and a well placed shot can serve to deter one, if only for a while.

Reactions: ChaseTheBait
Upvote 0

dudeman

Apr 5, 2011
san diego
Name
jason
Boat
Fish Taco
Someone on BD said leave the fish deep and tow it out for awhile to get away from furbags. It worked for me. Also I don't pump the fish, try to pretend I'm just soaking a bait, I think it helps fool'em. The slingshot works great if there are other boats around they will bail quick. If youre the only one out they get braver. Good report, thanks.

Upvote 0