spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
77 Skippy 20 Open OB Spear-Fish III
Seem like we are not the only ones having problems.

http://www.usnews.com/news/business...e-baby-lobster-decline-could-end-high-catches

Bugs.jpg

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Lobsters vanish, giant bluefin tuna, wahoo, blue marlin show up the last 3 years. Safe to say the enviroment has changed at least temporary. Not saying there has not also been heavy pressure, but does not explain all the shorts vanishing. Talk to people who dive for lobsters. Lobsters move, ALOT. When I used to dive for them I would see them by the dozens under rocks in certain areas. I would go back a few weeks later and I would not see a single one. They move around quite a bit.

Upvote 0

muletrain

Sep 9, 2006
san clemente
Name
mark
Boat
Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
Thanks for all the interesting opinions about the LA HARBOR lobsters

Going again this weekend and will try totally different areas. Will post my results one way or the other

Wish me luck to catch one for dinner and make it home safely

Best wishes to the bloodydecks crew

Reactions: duckbutter6a
Upvote 0

Efishnsea

Teaching kids how to fish
Aug 2, 2007
Covina, Ca
Name
Ed Efishnsea
Boat
21' Boston Whaler Outrage, + Kayaks--looking for 205 Conquest
I have hooped the harbor a few times this season, and haven't set the world on fire, but always manage to get a few.
Biggest problem is the seals
I believe there is still plenty of BUGGS in there- might get better as the season progresses.
Still a good time just getting out on the water!!!
Guys,
I have friends who are divers and they dive regularly at the Long Beach Breakwater. They claim that the lobsters are in NO danger as there are spots in the rocks that a diver can swim through from 1 side to the other. While passing through, they see herds of lobsters similar to bats in caves. They are in large pockets and can stay upside down in large groups of up to 100. As long as we continue to have the large breakwater, these lobsters will thrive and multiply---just don't sign any petitions that will help get rid of the breakwater and they will thrive. Don't sweat the over fishing---just don't take the shorts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

909MARIO

Jun 30, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga
Name
Mario
Boat
Homeless
On the final night of last season we had 13 for two guys in LB Harbor. I doubt that between April and October the entire population of the harbor got poached. But in one attempt this season at the same spots it was almost lifeless. My guess is it's just like other fishing. Some years we get yellowtail all winter at the 150, and some years none. Some years it's Dorado city 5 miles off DP, other years none. We've all fished a reef and hammered bass only to come back the next week and it's like a desert. I sure hope local lobstering isn't over. When else am I going to smoke cigars?
Probably just migrated to deep water.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Guys watch what you say people really read this.

That's the idea of the forum for people to read what others feedback is.

The lobsters are fine we are in a new cycle.This one will last a few more years .

Remains to be seen.

Lobsters will still be caught please don't help them close any more of the fisheries.

Like the optimism, but that remains to be seen.

I have only been in this fishing thing for fourty two years.

You have missed some exceptional fishing years. I'll never forget 1965-1967!

I have seen it really good and really bad. RIGHT NOW IT'S REALLY GOOD BETTER THEN I HAVE EVER SEEN IT.

. . . . seen it good and not so good myself. Unfortunately, and do to mis-management, these MPAs and other related closed areas have been implemented to try and cut-down the mis-management of the environments we fish in/on. It is what it is. If every one polices themselves everything would roll out much smoother. Truly glad to hear you believe the LoCal to SoCal Lobster fishery is healthy. We truly need a wicked storm to unleash the masses! Have a great day!

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Guys watch what you say people really read this.The lobsters are fine we are in a new cycle.This one will last a few more years .Lobsters will still be caught please don't help them close any more of the fisheries.I have only been in this fishing thing for fourty two years.I have seen it really good and really bad. RIGHT NOW IT'S REALLY GOOD BETTER THEN I HAVE EVER SEEN IT.
Where are your reports about this great lobster fishing ?

Reactions: ISLAND BOUND
Upvote 0

skiddd25

Jul 2, 2009
hb, ca, usa
Name
SKIDDD
Boat
Lil bugger
Guys,
I have friends who are divers and they dive regularly at the Long Beach Breakwater. They claim that the lobsters are in NO danger as there are spots in the rocks that a diver can swim through from 1 side to the other. While passing through, they see herds of lobsters similar to bats in caves. They are in large pockets and can stay upside down in large groups of up to 100. As long as we continue to have the large breakwater, these lobsters will thrive and multiply---just don't sign any petitions that will help get rid of the breakwater and they will thrive. Don't sweat the over fishing---just don't take the shorts.

I went out solo last night- the lobster population is just fine.... got 10 legals, had to let 3 go. Probably got 15 shorts in 4 hours of hooping.
It is fishing guys...
Don't always get em, but you have to work at it!!!!
IMG_5631.JPG

IMG_5629.JPG

Reactions: duckbutter6a
Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Guys,
The wall is a 7-mile long multi-story lobster condo complex. I've been there with divers and hoopnetters on the same boat. Hoopers dropped right next to the wall and caught jack. Divers had easy limits quickly. The bugs are there. Getting them to come out of their bedrooms and into a hoop net, that's another story

Upvote 0

kelpbed

Aug 20, 2006
arcadia
Name
john hartfield
Boat
39 hatteras
I too agree with PLj46. Have hooped for years and didn't have to work so hard for so few as in the last couple of years. Middle of the week you would see nobody, now there are boats always out. The pressure is to great, need to change legal size up 3/4 of an inch or more so more are reproducing, thus increasing population.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I too agree with PLj46. Have hooped for years and didn't have to work so hard for so few as in the last couple of years. Middle of the week you would see nobody, now there are boats always out. The pressure is to great, need to change legal size up 3/4 of an inch or more so more are reproducing, thus increasing population.
I agree with some of this.Changing the size limit that much would pretty much shut things down for a few years depending on where you fish.Ive suggested to the DFW numerous times going back 5 or 6 six years that they reduce the limit to 5,reduce gear to 7 of the hooptrap style net and even a slot limit.I really dont think they care to hear about what we think.Its that 9 bucks they want from more of us.As soon as they start being proactive they're going to lose a little revenue.What they dont consider is they're going to lose it anyway when so many people quit hoopnetting and arent buying that lobster card.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320

1. When you're on top of the mountain there's only one way to go.
  2. You're only as good as your last trip.
  3. He's living rent-free in your head!
  4. I'd have left the ACE in my pocket, for something more crucial/critical, had it been me.

Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
Mar 3, 2008
Aztlan
Name
Mandoman
Boat
Kathleen
I won't disagree, there are poachers out there, and they suck...but I find this hard to believe.^

I also agree, LB/LA, the pressure has increased 10fold. I won't go as far as to say it's fished out, but I agree with pLj46, hoopers are the ones who are drilling the stock in LB/LA AND Catalina.

I think the stocks are good in So Cal, but there is no doubt, certain areas are seeing a hit due to more pressure. In Dana, with the MPA now in Laguna, the Dana area now get hammered by the commercial guys. Smaller area, same amount of traps....plus more rec guys getting into it. Dana Point...Land of the shorts.
Yeah But PLJ 46 don't know SHIT bout Long Beach. Don't think he even FISHES.

Upvote 0

CaptJgray

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
For what its worth...

I have been 6 times this year, I have hooped for less than 4 hours each time and had limits for all onboard each time.

the last time was for 6 people, on that occasion we fished until 10 PM and had over 200 shorts.

I have hooped twice before fishing in the AM, each time nets were in the water around 0500. Limits for 2 plus close to 100 shorts in 3 sets.

Diver friends have said there are a lot of lobsters molting right now in certain locales, this would attribute to low numbers in those areas.

the shorts have been all sizes imaginable, unfortunately the night with over 200 shorts I would say 75% of them had to be measured and were 1/16 of an inch short...

looks promising for later this year...

and they haven't been deep either. The deepest Ive fished is 100 feet, with the majority 35-40 feet deep.

Not Catalina, San Diego, or LA/LB Harbor.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Yeah But PLJ 46 don't know SHIT bout Long Beach. Don't think he even FISHES.
Your'e correct about "dont know shit about Long Beach" but would guess its a large breakwater just like all the others ? You still mad about my comments about those baby sharks you killed ?

Upvote 0

Sudzy

Oct 22, 2016
San pedro ca
Name
Chris
Boat
20' inboard skiff, farallon 25
I took out some divers friday night for a few hours, outside the breakwater in pedro. they brought in one keeper and said they saw lots af smalls on tbe crawl. I dropped 4 hoops off the side of the boat while anchored waiting on them, zippo.

Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
Advertiser
May 26, 2007
Where ever fish need to be caught.
Name
Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
Boat
YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
Guys it's the best lobster fishing right now.That I have ever seen. There are plenty of lobsters. YOU JUST NEED TO KNOW MORE THEN ONE SPOT. I am out of a different harbor everyday. I see way more then anyone else.The lobsters are just fine. We have caught three times as many this year then any year before.I am just trying to help.

Reactions: wils
Upvote 0

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
Look for Rock Crabs from end of December thru February, they're around.

Hello John, been a long time. Nice to see you on the boards again.....Maybe you have been around and i just havnt seen you...

Upvote 0

CaptJgray

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Im just glad that people follow the Gail Force and Triton around to learn where all of the lobster spots are...

This allows some of us to fish in peace.

Upvote 0