LA Harbor - 7/16/17 - On the Water Report

PENN
Apr 26, 2005
So Cal
Name
Glendon
Boat
Grady White 257 Advance
Launched Huntington Harbor (Sunset Aquatic) 5:45ish. Got a scoop of 'dines from Nacho and off we went. By "we" I mean me and my partner in crime, my 6 year old son. Bait wasn't great, but I didn't have to catch it myself, so can't really complain.

He wanted to fish halibut, and you don't have to twist my arm for that. Stayed inside the breakwall and pounded some sand.

First fish at Chaffee within 10 minutes. A short. A ton of raked baits, but the wind wasn't blowing right to drift it effectively. So off to Cherry we went.

Cherry was terrible. So off to Freeman we went.

Freeman treated us good. Got a nice 3-4ish pound sandbass. My son wanted to keep it. Fine with me. Good fish taco dinner for the family.

Then we got another short halibut and a bunch more raked baits. Tried an anchor halibut spot, missed a decent fish, but wasn't terribly productive. Hard to set up right on that anchor spot (yes, anchoring while fishing halibut) with my 6 year old son.

Got back on the drift and finally got a legal to stick. 29 incher. Decent fish. We were happy.

That's it. 1:00 and calling it a day. I had fun. My son had fun. We caught some fish. But best of all, quality time with my son. I love that kid.

20170716_065739.jpg 20170716_094154.jpg 20170716_095419.jpg 20170716_114540.jpg 20170716_110537.jpg 20170716_123454.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2005
So Cal
Name
Glendon
Boat
Grady White 257 Advance
Launched Huntington Harbor (Sunset Aquatic) 5:45ish. Got a scoop of 'dines from Nacho and off we went. By "we" I mean me and my partner in crime, my 6 year old son. Bait wasn't great, but I didn't have to catch it myself, so can't really complain.

He wanted to fish halibut, and you don't have to twist my arm for that. Stayed inside the breakwall and pounded some sand.

First fish at Chaffee within 10 minutes. A short. A ton of raked baits, but the wind wasn't blowing right to drift it effectively. So off to Cherry we went.

Freeman treated us good. Got a nice 3-4ish pound sandbass. My son wanted to keep it. Fine with me. Good fish taco dinner for the family.

Then we got another short halibut and a bunch more raked baits. Tried an anchor halibut spot, missed a decent fish, but wasn't terribly productive. Hard to set up right on that anchor spot (yes, anchoring while fishing halibut) with my 6 year old son.

Got back on the drift and finally got a legal to stick. 29 incher. Decent fish. We were happy.

That's it. 1:00 and calling it a day. I had fun. My son had fun. We caught some fish. But best of all, quality time with my son. I love that kid.

Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
Great post and good times shared with your boy. Thanks for the report brings back memories.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320

View attachment 851252 View attachment 851253 View attachment 851254 View attachment 851255 View attachment 851256 View attachment 851257

Nice job Glendon, just awesome! John.

Upvote 0

riverboy460

Apr 30, 2007
huntington beach hometown now oak harbor wa.
Name
matt
Boat
PLAY N HOOK E & KAYLEE MICHELLE
Good job. Awesome family bonding trip. I towed my boat about 1300 miles to use on my leave from the navy and my daughter wouldnot go out with me. I was going to take her for the same trip u just did. However she says no dad we can go when we get home. Salmon season started today so hopefully i can have her catch a nice hatchery king salmon before the weekend.

Upvote 0

kms70

Bigfudder
Jun 28, 2008
Norwalk,Ca USA
Name
Ken
Boat
Fo' Reels

View attachment 851252 View attachment 851253 View attachment 851254 View attachment 851255 View attachment 851256 View attachment 851257

Very Nice.
Glad you mentioned something about the bait. I got some on Saturday and thought it sucked!!

Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
That was very cool Pop,a couple of nice fish,great pics,good times with your son can't be beat,I'm finding it doesn't matter what age they are,times spent with your boy are always great,mine is 42,wtg!

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2005
So Cal
Name
Glendon
Boat
Grady White 257 Advance
Nice job Glendon, just awesome! John.

Thanks John. I still owe you a ton of credit for all the legal I've caught over the years. You put me on my first two in SMB many moons ago. Still do it pretty much the same way you show'd me way back then.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2005
So Cal
Name
Glendon
Boat
Grady White 257 Advance
Thats what im talking about.....best memories EVER:rockin: not just fishing with Dad, catching makes it even better:cheers:

So true. I fish with my dad all the time still (it's his boat), and even when we don't catch anything we still have a good time. Same goes for my son. Love being on the water with him.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2005
So Cal
Name
Glendon
Boat
Grady White 257 Advance
Good job. Awesome family bonding trip. I towed my boat about 1300 miles to use on my leave from the navy and my daughter wouldnot go out with me. I was going to take her for the same trip u just did. However she says no dad we can go when we get home. Salmon season started today so hopefully i can have her catch a nice hatchery king salmon before the weekend.

I can't get my daughter anywhere near the water for fishing. Gets seasick, and didn't like it. Rather have a fun day with her mom instead. Hopefully you're able to get your out soon. Such great memories.

Reactions: riverboy460
Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2005
So Cal
Name
Glendon
Boat
Grady White 257 Advance
Very Nice.
Glad you mentioned something about the bait. I got some on Saturday and thought it sucked!!

Thank you!

I've had better bait, and I've had worse. Made the most of it though. Glad I rarely have to spend time catching it myself.

Reactions: kms70
Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2005
So Cal
Name
Glendon
Boat
Grady White 257 Advance
That was very cool Pop,a couple of nice fish,great pics,good times with your son can't be beat,I'm finding it doesn't matter what age they are,times spent with your boy are always great,mine is 42,wtg!

I just turned 40 and love spending the day on the water with my dad. A lot of times it's three generations with my dad, me, and my son. Nothing better than that!

Reactions: Tuna Vic
Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2005
So Cal
Name
Glendon
Boat
Grady White 257 Advance
Outside the break wall was total crap yesterday. I can't wait to do trips with my 3 month old son. Way to go dad!

Break him in slow. Little here, little there. Mackerel mackerel mackerel by the bait dock when he's young. It's all about fun when they're young. Then more serious fishing when they get older. I trolled with my son for 7 hours when he was four years old looking for local wahoo. He never complained once. At the end of those 7 hours I asked him if he wanted to go home and he looked me dead in the eyes and said no, we haven't caught one yet. Proud dad that day.

Reactions: Surfingbuddhist
Upvote 0