Name
Randy
Boat
30' Kona Star
THE KONA STAR ULTIMATE TUNA CLUB SANDWICH

Ingredients (for 4):

4 fresh tuna steaks
1 cup Italian salad dressing
(Bernstein's Wine Country or other premium type)
4 large hamburger buns or gourmet rolls
8 pineapple rings (canned)
8 slices bacon
mixed greens or lettuce
basil aioli (recipe included in text)

Large tuna loin - cut a 1 inch thick steak. For smaller tuna cut a 2 inch thick steak - butterfly the steak making it double in size to fit the bun.

Make the basil aioli dressing - mix together (in a non-reactive container - plastic or glass) 6 tablespoons premium mayonnaise, 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped FRESH basil, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon olive oil, salt and pepper. Store covered in refrigerator while you prepare the other sandwich components so the flavours meld.

In a non-reactive bowl mix 1-2 tablespoons of juice from the pineapple rings to the Italian salad dressing. Marinade the pineapple rings (2 per sandwich) in the mixture for 15 minutes. Cook bacon (2 slices per sandwich) till crisp, drain on paper towels, break in half, set aside.
Remove pineapple rings and add tuna to marinade for 15 minutes.
Grill the pineapple rings on preheated grill - about 2 minutes per side to get nice grill marks. Remove from grill and set aside.
Grill the tuna on well-oiled grill (2 minutes per side-more or less depending on preference, should be cooked through).
While tuna is grilling, lightly toast the inner sides of the buns (1-2 minutes) under a broiler.

Build the sandwich - spread the aioli on each half of the toasted bun ( 1/2 to 3/4 tablespoon per side). Place two slices (4 half slices) bacon on bottom, then the tuna steak, add two pineapple rings, top with the greens or lettuce, bun top.

Serve with potato salad, cole slaw or chips, pickle and a light white wine or pale ale.

Prepare for nirvana - Eat.

tuna club.jpg

Last edited:

SSUfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
I made this tonight without the pineapple or italian dressing, it was freaking fantastic. Definitely going to make it again later this week, probably with the pineapple and dressing next time.

Reactions: bparker1225

Randy V

Slamma Jamma
Mar 19, 2008
Insane Diego, CA
Name
Randy
Boat
30' Kona Star
Glad you enjoyed it. Definitely try it with the pineapple - kicks it up a whole nother level.

I've added a pic of the finished product to the original recipe post.

Last edited:

walkerman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
very similar to the Kona Burger served on the Mirage for years, except they use BBQ sauce instead of Italian dressing, and they add some thin slices of jalapeños....and burgers stead of tuna.