Kona Hawaii fishing report - Sept. wrap-up

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Cap Jeff Rogers, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Cap Jeff Rogers

Cap Jeff Rogers Fish Abuser

Name:
    Capt. Jeff Rogers
    Boat:
    Aloha kai
    Kona Hawaii fishing report – Sept. wrap-up .
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Tourism makes for a good economic indicator. When people are prospering, they often use their extra income to travel. Here in Hawaii, EVERYTHING revolves around tourism. For instance, here in Kona we have Kona Coffee and while some of it is exported, most of it is purchased by tourists and the same is true with our macadamia nuts. Income from shops, hotels, restaurants and the many tourist activities is what Hawaii thrives on as its base income. If that base income isn’t coming in, ALL of the other businesses here feel the pinch too. In recent years, charter fishing has taken one of the biggest economic hits because it’s one of the more pricy activities. I’m one of the busiest captains in Kona and I also know who the other busy captains are. Without a doubt, the ½ day share charter boats are the busiest of all because they’re the cheapest so when you see them sitting at the dock, you know times are tough. Here’s the kicker! Our local news agencies keep telling us that tourism is GREAT! Best ever in years and junk like that. They must be using some kind of fuzzy math (kind of like the unemployment rate) because many of my charters have even told me that the hotels they’re staying in are near empty. I just don’t get it. We have eyes; we see the struggling economy and feel it. The rose colored glass that the local media must be wearing doesn’t change the facts or maybe they think that by lying about it, it will make us feel better but the truth is tourism just isn’t what it was when the economy was booming. Now onto the fishing…..
    <o:p> </o:p>
    The trolling bite is pretty good right now but the overall catch is low because very few boats are going out. Of the ones that did go fishing, the catch rate was pretty good in September. The mahi mahi are starting to move in right now. We’re also starting to see more debris in the water and that’s what the mahi mahi love to hang around. Some of that debris coming in is from the 2011 Japan tsunami. While most of the debris will travel on its way Westward to the North of the main Hawaiian Islands, some of the debris will take a slightly different rout because of size, shape, floatation, wind and wave action. The debris will also bring in more tuna, rainbow runner, ono and billfish and I’m looking forward to that part of it as more arrives but the down side will be running over partially submerged debris that will get caught in the props. While having to dive under the boat during a fishing trip to untangle junk from your props kind of sucks, I’m even more concerned about possible prop, strut, shaft coupling or rudder damage because some of that junk is pretty massive and not easily seen.
    The bottom bite is just OK with the main catch being sharks. I didn’t catch any jacks at all last month and only caught two this month. I have less that 20 more jacks to tag before I hit the 2000 mark of jacks tagged and released but at this rate, it looks like that won’t happen ‘til next year. The sharks have either eaten them or driven them away but the sharks are more fun and more of a challenge to catch anyway.
    In all the years I’ve been writing the Kona Hawaii fishing report I’ve only had to make one correction. Now it’s two. Last month I got the story wrong about the female angler that almost caught the grander marlin. After talking to her, I also relied on information from some of the other news reports about it. Ooops. The girl who fought the fish for most of the fight does indeed work as a deckhand but in that tournament, she was the angler, not the deckhand. After 4+ hours of fighting, the fish sounded and died. Her husband, who also works as a deckhand and another captain on the boat helped her get it in.
    See ‘ya on the water ,
    Capt. Jeff Rogers ,
    http://FISHinKONA.com

2. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Capt. Jeff,

I agree with your assessment of the tourism industry right now. Business is definitely on the slow the side. Also, heard about Kona's 4th grander of the year. Good year for big fish and it's not over yet...

Jonny

3. mc08066

mc08066 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy Greene
    Boat:
    kayak
    Capt Jeff,
    I also have to agree with you assessment. Was in Maui this past week and noted that it appears to be slower then past years.

I wish the wind was less this past week or I would of been out on the water especially on the early part of the week. Tried to get an 8 hour trip on an open party but could not make it work for me on Thursday.

The weather on Saturday was good but Sunday was even better with glassy conditions in the morning and my flight back was Sunday at noon. :hali_parkutuli:

On a side note it was good to see a marlin caught on Thursday probably close to 350 lbs in Lahaina hanging on display. Look like a couple of boats had some Mahi's and one of the groups score 5 tuna's based on their flags showing.

Hopefully everyone is careful heading out because there is a 30' by 50' dock floating around the Hawaiian islands. One of these days when I get to Hilo I will definitely want to get out on the water and will give you a call.

Jimmy

4. Cap Jeff Rogers

Name:
    Capt. Jeff Rogers
    Boat:
    Aloha kai
    All of these extra days off from fishing are keeping me out of touch at the harbor. Luckily I'll be fishing 3 days this week. I checked on the grander, a good place to do that is http://granderwatch.fishmonster.com/

Gene now has more granders than anyone in Hawaii. He has killed 4 so that's the official number. In '06 not only did he kill a grander but he also released one. If Gene says it was a grander, you can take his word for it. That makes 5.

5. poidog

poidog lurker

Name:
    poidog
    Boat:
    18'
    Was just down at the harbor checking things out, talking to all the boys and noticed almost all the charters are parked. WTF?! It's Sunday afternoon! I'd say your assessment was right! No wonder some capts been going shibi on the side, gotta make ends meet...

6. Cap Jeff Rogers

Name:
    Capt. Jeff Rogers
    Boat:
    Aloha kai
    Hey PoiDog, I figure it will stay very slow 'til after the elections. Simple math, we have a little over 3 million people in the US and 1 million of them are on some kind of Govt. assistance and that number is currently growing. Dems want the number of people dependant on Govt. to keep growing and raise taxes on people who make good money. Reps want people to pay less to the Govt. by making less Govt. People who can afford to go charter fishing are waiting to see if they will be able to use their money to go fishing or have to give it to the Govt. People on Govt. assistance don't do charters.

7. ron g

ron g Newbie

Name:
    ron g
    Boat:
    none
    jeff was there in sept. for 5 days out on the anxius only two hits .saw one grander at the fuel dock .will be back in april for 5 more day out on the golden dragon .

8. Cap Jeff Rogers

Name:
    Capt. Jeff Rogers
    Boat:
    Aloha kai
    Right place / right time. The current slowed way down this week and might even be switching. That always kills the Kona bite.

To keep an eye on the currents, go to http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/global_nlom32/navo/arc_list_fcst_HAWSP1_ZOOM.html
    It's not always accurate so take the information with a big dose of salt.

Good luck in April.

Capt. Jeff

9. BG11

BG11 Newbie

Name:
    BG
    Boat:
    SMALL KINE BOAT
    Ron, Capt. Will Lazenby is the MAN. Long time Kona Cap. He's a helluva fisherman. Good luck in April, hopefully the Onos are around. If the weather's good, you should do an overnighter with Will, he knows South Point like the back of his hand.

10. ron g

ron g Newbie

Name:
    ron g
    Boat:
    none

i,ll check it with Will, we,ve talked about it so maybe this will be the trip to do a overnighter .