Tranquility

Tranquility
Mar 13, 2004
Calif
Name
Bryan
Boat
Century 3200WA
I’m going to be spending some time in Kona Hawaii in the near future. Any ideas of charter boats that you would consider to be a good value. I don’t need a big or yachty rig and will likely be fishing solo. Just looking for a way to get offshore there for less than an arm and a leg.

Reactions: iThRoWIroN

Dozer217

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2010
LBC
I fish the Ahu Nui when there, not cheap but not the most expensive either. Google up some more info and look for one's that will also bottom fish, usually a better value.

Upvote 0

iThRoWIroN

• Jul 20, 2013
    Highland, CA
    Name
    AdubM
    Boat
    VU Meeder
    I’m going to be spending some time in Kona Hawaii in the near future. Any ideas of charter boats that you would consider to be a good value. I don’t need a big or yachty rig and will likely be fishing solo. Just looking for a way to get offshore there for less than an arm and a leg.
    I’ll be spending a week there in September for my honeymoon! Excellent question👍🏻

Upvote 0

FLLR1

Almost A Member
    Jan 30, 2006
    Florida
    Name
    LT
    Boat
    Boston Whaler
    Lepika Sportfishing. Captain/Owner is Russ Nitta. Smaller boat, but Russ is an outstanding captain.

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
    Carp, CA, USA
    Name
    Steve T.
    Boat
    soon2B
    I've said this before on another thread.
    Charter fishing in Hawaii (any of the islands) is overrated.
    You pay big $$$ to drag a jig around on a broomstick 130# rig for tiny mahi and YFT hoping to score a billfish that the captain keeps and sells.
    Save your $$$ and take the wifey out to a five star dinner.

Upvote 0

Dozer217

Almost A Member
    Aug 12, 2010
    LBC
    that's why i suggested the bottom fishing option, last time i was there i looked into a combo snorkel/fishing trip that maybe something for the wife as well.

Reactions: iThRoWIroN
    Upvote 0

matt86m

Not worthy of a Title
    Apr 6, 2010
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Call around and ask the Captain if you can keep fish. I get they sell it at market but I found a Captain in Kauai that let us keep some fish for the bbq. May find one there too.

Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat
    Wish I Had One
    Enjoyed two marlin (wife and I got one each) and a short nose spear fish with Captain Stretch on the Hula Girl. Two day charter. Had a couple more shots, maybe a wahoo early on day two, plus a missed marlin. We were there in early June.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    This newer format for the Forum posts has "Similar Threads" on the bottom of the page. I like it. There is a wealth of information in the prior reports.

Fishing in Hawaii is very different from almost everywhere else except maybe north-east Australia, because there is the possibility of catching a HUGE marlin. That is why the gear is so sized-up and everything under several hundred pounds is completely overpowered. And just like our local SoCal day-boat skippers chasing bluefin tuna even though their fishermen are not at all equipped for that fight, the publicity and status among the other captains means that they just can't resist the possibility of success.

And their fishing laws are different from the mainland USA, because it has always been the practice to sell the catch. The fisherman is paying for the experience, not possession of whatever fish is caught. You might try talking with the local tackle store near your hotel, or even the hotel concierge, for options, as well as the names mentioned above. Please post and tell us how it turned out for you!

Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat
    Wish I Had One
    Why would you pay big bucks to be a commercial fisherman for the captain? They will sell your catch!

The fishing is better in San Diego right now. Spend your money here on fishing.
    Couple of reasons:
    1. Chance at a really big marlin; we released our fish.
    2. I like to fish wherever I am and in Kona, one is fishing less than five minutes from the harbor. For me, this was a vacation where I could add a couple of days of fishing into the week. Price compared to a four pack in SD or Panama was significantly less as Kona does not require immense gas to get to the fish.
    Surfgoose is right on target though; setups are 130's and above in case one gets a "grander."