crawdadguy

team greybeard
  • Feb 21, 2006
    NO. County S.D.
    Name
    crawdad guy
    Boat
    21 seaswirl DC
    Looking to get komodo 463. There seems to be 3 different handle choices paddle, knob w/counterweight, power knob only. What are the positives / negatives of each?...plan on using it as a bait reel #25 or #30 lb top shots opinions ? Thanks

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    knob with counter weight and paddle are most casting friendly. The full power can accidentally trip the reel on a cast. I personally prefer power with weight on all my auto engage setups that I plan on casting just to make sure I dont have any snap offs or bait ripping off.

full power is for jigging and dropping.

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
    Jan 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Agree on the Cortez handle. All the stock options from Okuma are garbage when compared

Upvote 0

Mark Bingham

Almost A Member
    Sep 5, 2016
    California
    Name
    StormFishing
    Boat
    Wet Dream
    Im pretty sure there is only 2 handle configurations. The power handle has 2 positions (long and short). Power handle is for....guess it... power. The twin is for...speed. hahaha. Easy enough to skip a iron across the the surface with a power handle so its still fast.
    Never had the reel engage during a cast so don't worry about that, it doesn't happen.
    The stock power handle is great...definitely not trash, so don't need to consider that when making the choice.

Last edited:
    Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

Mark Bingham

Almost A Member
    Sep 5, 2016
    California
    Name
    StormFishing
    Boat
    Wet Dream
    Im pretty sure there is only 2 handle configurations. The power handle has 2 positions (long and short). Power handle is for....guess it... power. The twin is for...speed. hahaha. Easy enough to skip a iron across the the surface with a power handle so its still fast.
    Never had the reel engage during a cast so don't worry about that, it doesn't happen.
    The stock power handle is great...definitely not trash, so don't need to consider that when making the choice.
    The power handle is perfect for throwing bait on 30#, surface iron, yoyo jigging, casting snipers, bottom fishing.
    The paddle is more for big freshwater swim baits, large plastics, large plugs, bucktails and smaller salt water fish like stuff in Florida (reds, drums, snooks, snaps, blue fish)

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    The stock power handle is great when fitted on the 364.......but a handle from a Cortez 10 or similar really makes the big Komodo shine. Huge difference when dealing with larger model fish........
    Jeff

Upvote 0

Composite

Nov 18, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    None
    All I have ever used on the 471SS's is the counter weight handle. But...

Different handles provide different advantages to the user. So, when deciding what handle you want, consider what you will be doing with the reel.

The short double paddle handles are great for faster retrieves.

The counter weighted power handle provides a good mix of speed and torque while resisting the chances of auto engaging your spool on the cast.

A long power handle gives you the greatest amount of torque, but your retrieve will be slower. I did try a Tesoro 12 power handle on my Komodo 471SS and it fit without any modifications. If you go with a big power handle like the one from the Tesoro 12, you might as well just get a 471SS, the strength of the reel's stainless steel drive train can handle all that extra torque.

Upvote 0