Komodo 471 ss vs Lexa 400 HD xsp

Lt. Slayer

Apr 8, 2014
Name
Slayer
Boat
Don't have one
which one is a better choice? Will be using it on a phenix psw 908 mh for yellowtail and schoolie tunas and maybe dorado. Mostly using for surface lures!

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
which one is a better choice? Will be using it on a phenix psw 908 mh for yellowtail and schoolie tunas and maybe dorado. Mostly using for surface lures!
Toss up. Komodo may have a touch more cranking power, but its a touch more complicated inside to maintain (level wind mechanism bearings). But, being an engaged mechanism at all times its got more cranking power.

Any of the reels from Abu, Daiwa, Okuma and Shimano are totally worthy.

funnyguy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 27, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
19 foot Trophy CC
Hello,

I have the Komodo and my fishing partner has the Lexa. We fished them a lot last season and both did well, no failures. I think the handle on the Lexa is just a little more comfotable but the Komodo is easier to palm. Both reels are on a Phenix Abyss 809, we both get more distance with the Komodo but it's not much more. The main reason I went with the Komodo is because Okuma's customer service and reel repair is second to none.

Chris

Lt. Slayer

Apr 8, 2014
Name
Slayer
Boat
Don't have one
I actually picked up the komodo today at fred hall, all i can say so far is that this yhing is beautiful light and damn smooth and the drag feels amazing, also the reel reminds me of a stealth fighter lol so the coolness factor is there too

Lt. Slayer

Apr 8, 2014
Name
Slayer
Boat
Don't have one
Pairing the reel with a phenix 908 MH 15-40 for surface irons! Does anyone think that rod is to light to handle the lures or should i be fine?

Reactions: Steel Seeker 40

Idatuna

Jan 20, 2013
Idaho
Name
Jim
Boat
Bog Jumper
Hello,

I have the Komodo and my fishing partner has the Lexa. We fished them a lot last season and both did well, no failures. I think the handle on the Lexa is just a little more comfotable but the Komodo is easier to palm. Both reels are on a Phenix Abyss 809, we both get more distance with the Komodo but it's not much more. The main reason I went with the Komodo is because Okuma's customer service and reel repair is second to none.

Chris
Any thoughts on which is easier to cast?? I'm looking to put one on a 90J.

funnyguy

Feb 27, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
19 foot Trophy CC

Hello,

The Lexa is more forgiving and easier to setup for different weight baits. The Komodo takes a little practice but overall I like it better after I got the hang of it.

Chris

Lt. Slayer

Apr 8, 2014
Name
Slayer
Boat
Don't have one
the komodo wasn't very hard to cast, picked it up really quick its extremely similar to casting a conventional reel

Idatuna

Jan 20, 2013
Idaho
Name
Jim
Boat
Bog Jumper
Thanks both. I'm headed to Cedros this summer. Where I live you either buy on line or wait till I get to San Deigo and hit Squidco on the way through. Either no time to practice with new reel or buy blind.

Spooling with 50lb spectra????

RyoK

RyoK
Sep 3, 2009
San Gabriel, CA
Name
Ryo
Boat
none
90J is my go to jig stick with a Trinidad 20a on it. I don't own any 400 size baitcasters but seems like the 90J would be too heavy for it.

cambo0420

Mar 10, 2019
SF Bay California
Name
Cameron DeMiguel
Boat
Kayak and a 20 ft Boston whaler
Hello,

Chris
Hey buddy I know I’m late to this post but I was thinking about getting the Okuma Komodo for throwing swimbaits and plastics here in the sf bay for halibut, striper, salmon and I wasn’t sure which size I should get? The 3 or 400 size? Most fish are under 40 lbs.

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Hey buddy I know I’m late to this post but I was thinking about getting the Okuma Komodo for throwing swimbaits and plastics here in the sf bay for halibut, striper, salmon and I wasn’t sure which size I should get? The 3 or 400 size? Most fish are under 40 lbs.
I have both the Lexa and the Komoda in 300/400 sizes. The Komodo 471 is a big reel, and it has a clicker if you have the need for that. Nice to have the option if you're fishing bait. The Okumas both feel much more stout than the Lexas, but they are heavier as a result. If you're casting all day, you'll notice. If I'm fishing bass, I'll take the Daiwas. Anything bigger and it's the Okumas.

cambo0420

Mar 10, 2019
SF Bay California
Name
Cameron DeMiguel
Boat
Kayak and a 20 ft Boston whaler
I have both the Lexa and the Komoda in 300/400 sizes. The Komodo 471 is a big reel, and it has a clicker if you have the need for that. Nice to have the option if you're fishing bait. The Okumas both feel much more stout than the Lexas, but they are heavier as a result. If you're casting all day, you'll notice. If I'm fishing bass, I'll take the Daiwas. Anything bigger and it's the Okumas.
So if I m going to be throwing swimbaits and different jigs for salmon halibut, striper and lingcod in the SF bay You would get the okuma Komodo 471 Or 371? I would like the option to throw live bait, drift and troll with it. I’ve never used a bass bait caster style for anything other than bass plastics so I’m very interested. Can it troll too?

so also on another topic I’m trying to decide what kind of conventional reel I should get. I’m leaning towards a lever drag but I’m not sure if I should get a 1 or 2 stage speed reel and if I should get levelwind Or non level wind. All the choices are kind of stressful, not looking to spend over 400 actually hoping sub 250. Like I said I don’t want to buy anything to expensive because I want to make sure I like fishing with that style of reel whether it be a star or lever drag with level wind of no level wind. Once I determine the style I prefer I’ll buy an expensive option. Gonna be used for live bait mooching, trolling, jogging for the same species.

i already have a progear albacore special 542 which is a star Drag.. it’s really nice just really big for sf bay fish but if it would be a good reel for some things I’ll use it.

also what’s a good salmon reel? sorry for all the questions. All the species of fish and gear is stressful especially now that i have a boat

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
I'm here in the Delta, if I were fishing the bay for what you've described then I'd be bringing the 471 along with my Torium 20

Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Lexa 400s have Clickers as well... its literally called the CC version. Don’t get why people don’t see that.

Lexa 400s will cast better.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Lexa 400s have Clickers as well... its literally called the CC version. Don’t get why people don’t see that.

Lexa 400s will cast better.
its puzzles me how people think the komodos dont cast well, I have Lexas and Komodos. The komodo 363 casts horrible, this is because the spool is narrower and due to non dissengading level wind every time the level wind switches directions it slows the spool down, with a narrower spool this will happen a lot more making casting bad. The 450 sizes are MUCH better casters because the spool is much wider. I have put my 471p and my lexa 400HD together, both on same lengh, rating rods with the same OZ weight and they casted the same distance, komodo may have even been a little farther. Both are nice reels but for my smaller poppers and plugs ill be using the komodo, I also found the komodos have a tad more cranking power.

Goosed10

Jul 12, 2008
Murrieta,Ca
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
its puzzles me how people think the komodos dont cast well, I have Lexas and Komodos. The komodo 363 casts horrible, this is because the spool is narrower and due to non dissengading level wind every time the level wind switches directions it slows the spool down, with a narrower spool this will happen a lot more making casting bad. The 450 sizes are MUCH better casters because the spool is much wider. I have put my 471p and my lexa 400HD together, both on same lengh, rating rods with the same OZ weight and they casted the same distance, komodo may have even been a little farther. Both are nice reels but for my smaller poppers and plugs ill be using the komodo, I also found the komodos have a tad more cranking power.
I think you take everything you read on the inter web as fact Fishy 😏. The Komodo 364 does not cast like crap. I have the old grey and red one and prefer it over my curado 300. Cast like a dream!

Reactions: Cubeye and king