Komodo 364 SS free spool lags

SByakfish

Aug 4, 2017
Santa barbara
Name
Niko
Boat
kayak
Reel actually worked how it should this morning. Landed 3 short halibut and called it a day. Reluctant to hose that thing off now as it doesn't really get too wet in the kayak. Maybe a light misting and cloth dry lol.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Yes that is the handle I have fitted to my Komodos. BUT IT DOES REQUIRE A LITTLE WORK WITH A JEWELERS FILE TO GET IT TO FIT.
Based on comments by others here the Tesoro handle is a direct fit. You might have to wait on Okuma to reopen to order these.
Hth, Jeff

Reactions: SByakfish
Upvote 0

QueenAnnesRevenge

Almost A Member
Jun 7, 2016
Lincoln CA
Name
Andrew
Boat
Steiger Craft 23dv Miami " Sofia Alexis"
Reel actually worked how it should this morning. Landed 3 short halibut and called it a day. Reluctant to hose that thing off now as it doesn't really get too wet in the kayak. Maybe a light misting and cloth dry lol.
Next time you take it apart, liberally grease all the connection points, drive shaft and under the drag star/handle. When you rinse it off lock the drag down and once it dries wipe the outside with corrosion x and it will run smooth

Upvote 0

QueenAnnesRevenge

Almost A Member
Jun 7, 2016
Lincoln CA
Name
Andrew
Boat
Upvote 0

SByakfish

Aug 4, 2017
Santa barbara
Name
Niko
Boat
kayak
Thanks, can’t seem to find the handles online anywhere. Are these only available directly from Okuma? Because they aren’t on the Okuma site either?

Upvote 0

Composite

Nov 18, 2015
Pittsburgh
Name
Nick
Boat
None
Yea, it seems like it doesn't want to go all the way to the right.

The spool tension knob is also used to center the spool. If you had the spool tension knob to loose when spooling up it explains the line bunching to handle side of the reel.

I suggest pulling the line and respooling the reel with the spool properly centered.

I made this mistake on baitcasters myself, just long ago.

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

Pablo2fish

A humble student of the game.
Oct 27, 2008
Newport Beach
Name
Paul
Boat
Aquasport 250 Explorer
Thanks for the info. Went out Saturday and it was stickier than before. Seemed fine at home, tension down with a smooth quick release. Don't think it has anything to do with how the line's on there. It's not going back yet since I use it too often, so time to tear it down. I'll check the videos wrt flushing, and appreciate the oil rec's. Not excited to do that every week though if that's what's required to maintain optimal performance!
I've found my level winds get more salt in them than my other reels. They do need to be serviced more often. I believe all reels are shipped with the spool bearings greased, not oiled. The reason the manufacturers do this is to protect the bearing while it's being shipped and sitting in the tackle store. If you want a better free spool, the spool bearings need to be cleaned to get the grease out. Remove them from the reel, remove the faceplate on the bearing, and use a light solvent like rubbing alcohol to break down the grease. Then rinse with water and blow dry (not too hot) as sometimes there's internal plastic the ball bearings ride in. The 2 drops of Reelix, too much oil can slow down the free spool too.

Upvote 0

QueenAnnesRevenge

Almost A Member
Jun 7, 2016
Lincoln CA
Name
Andrew
Boat
Doesnt matter it's the same handle, no part # required
Just have to wait for okuma to open back up, make sure to get the tesoro lock nut and retainer screw as well.

Reactions: Composite
Upvote 0