Komodo 364 SS free spool lags

SByakfish

Aug 4, 2017
Santa barbara
Name
Niko
Boat
kayak
I recently purchased a Komodo 364 paired with the guide select for kayak fishing and love it. However, after only 3 times out, the free spool is slow, even with the tension all the way loose and more weight. With a 2oz jig I have to manually pull out line. It doesn't cast as far as it did either (all brakes on every use so far).

Because I fish only salt water, I rinse my rods/reels off every time. It's still new, so I don't want to take it apart and service everything with fresh grease/oil. I'm wondering what might cause the free spool to slow down after getting wet? Would this most likely be the worm shaft assembly? Is it recommended to use a drop of oil before each use? Is it possible that the body is not water tight and prone to salt buildup or corrosion? If that's the case, how should I care for the reel without a fresh water rinse?

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Hismosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
Pull the line off by hand at your house and watch to see if the line is catching on anything or binding up somewhere. Lines may be running over/under each other. Too much line on the spool?

Reactions: SByakfish

SByakfish

Aug 4, 2017
Santa barbara
Name
Niko
Boat
kayak
Yea, it was catching every few rotations, but very slightly. I can understand how that would be the issue. That said, when spooling the reel I couldn't get the line to go on evenly, with more building up on the L. Would this be a reason for this to happen? See photos.

UXXRHv02SaSnz1hHTlzveQ.jpg

qE06IcfcQLK+w5E81q1xDA.jpg

C1L+aycvSp2vUV860HbUFA.jpg

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
All of my baitcasters spool up lopsided like that.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Assuming you bought the reel new, it's still under warranty. I would send it to Okuma for service.

My 471 froze up on me first trip out. Couldn't turn the handle. I sent it back. No charge, but you have to pay for shipping to and from the factory.

Second season, the clicker button falls off. I take the reel apart and come to find out the button shaft is too short and the "c" clip won't fit in the groove. Again, back to Okuma and again pay for shipping.

At the end of the season, I take the reel apart and come to find out that two shims are missing. (according to the schematic). So I called them and asked them to send me the parts so that I would't have to pay for shipping again.
They were happy to do it. Saves me shipping costs, and saves them the time to service the reel.

Okuma's service depart is excellent, with very good turn around time. The problem is their Quality Control in Taiwan. The reel was not assembled properly. So far, I've had to send three of my brand new reels to Okuma for warranty work, because they wouldn't work properly during the first trip out.

Just my experience with Okuma reels.

P.S...........................Their reels are very good when properly assembled.

SByakfish

Aug 4, 2017
Santa barbara
Name
Niko
Boat
kayak
Thanks, their customer service reviews is why I went with them ultimately. I'm going out again Sunday and Tuesday, so I'll see if the small line hang ups in the spool were the issue. Hopefully don't have to send it back after just 3 uses, but glad to know they are on it with the maintenance/repairs.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
When spooling levelwinds, do not use the level wind feature.

Lay even and smooth.

Then first few casts go slow. Then your avg line used will be controlled and the rest buried nice and even.

at least that's how I do it.

KINGSIZE

On The Bow
Jul 9, 2010
Simi Valley
Name
Robert
Boat
Searcher
The levelwind timing could be off. Run all the braid off to the arbor knot when cruising out on a boat and reel it all back up. That braid looks a little loose too

SByakfish

Aug 4, 2017
Santa barbara
Name
Niko
Boat
kayak
The levelwind timing could be off. Run all the braid off to the arbor knot when cruising out on a boat and reel it all back up. That braid looks a little loose too
Another question, as far as line tension and essentially re-spooling on the water. Would the tension from a 6-8oz weight be sufficient? I definitely apply more tension when spooling at home. Never had a problem even with 1oz jigs causing the line to go on too loose to cause over-lapping on retrieve with my Shimano's or Daiwa's.

KINGSIZE

On The Bow
Jul 9, 2010
Simi Valley
Name
Robert
Boat
Searcher
Another question, as far as line tension and essentially re-spooling on the water. Would the tension from a 6-8oz weight be sufficient? I definitely apply more tension when spooling at home. Never had a problem even with 1oz jigs causing the line to go on too loose to cause over-lapping on retrieve with my Shimano's or Daiwa's.
I just flip the line out with no weight or hook off the back of the boat when in motion. That tension alone will give you a nice tight wrap when re-spooling. Been doing this for decades with all my 60lb and lower units. Over 80lb I like to apply more tension with a machine.

I can cast 1/4 oz jigs a pretty good distance with my Komodo SS 471 and even farther with my 364.

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
The Komodos are actually made in Korea. I have several and really like them. They come over greased from the factory and really benefit from a partial teardown , clean out and then lube with a lighter oil.
My Komodos all lay the line on the spool very evenly. Far better than any other level wind I have owned. It may just be yours needs to go back to Okuma for repair.
Hth, Jeff

SByakfish

Aug 4, 2017
Santa barbara
Name
Niko
Boat
kayak
The Komodos are actually made in Korea. I have several and really like them. They come over greased from the factory and really benefit from a partial teardown , clean out and then lube with a lighter oil.
My Komodos all lay the line on the spool very evenly. Far better than any other level wind I have owned. It may just be yours needs to go back to Okuma for repair.
Hth, Jeff
Hoppe's #9 lubricating oil a good choice? That's what I've used. And Reel butter for grease applications.

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
I am not familiar with that oil. I use I have been using ReelX for general stuff and TSI 321 on the bearings. I do a partial teardown and lube after each use. This consists of pulling the palm side off and removing the spool. I wipe everything down and lubricate as needed. Cals universal reel grease is what the factory uses on the gears and drag washers. A light application is all that is needed.

If you are using yours on a Kayak then I think you should do this.
There is a tutorial on servicing these reels......perhaps ala Alan Tani that is well worth paying attention to. It explains how to flush the excess grease out and where to concentrate your efforts.
These are particularly tough reels and have a awesome drag system. The largest models are real giant killers. The mid size 364 is a fine reel too but because of the smaller frame size it needs to have the line loaded carefully and not overfilled.
One more thing about these reels. Because they are furnished with large SS gears they get smoother with use. As the gears wear it they just get sweeter.....so use them.
Jeff

SByakfish

Aug 4, 2017
Santa barbara
Name
Niko
Boat
kayak
I am not familiar with that oil. I use I have been using ReelX for general stuff and TSI 321 on the bearings. I do a partial teardown and lube after each use. This consists of pulling the palm side off and removing the spool. I wipe everything down and lubricate as needed. Cals universal reel grease is what the factory uses on the gears and drag washers. A light application is all that is needed.

If you are using yours on a Kayak then I think you should do this.
There is a tutorial on servicing these reels......perhaps ala Alan Tani that is well worth paying attention to. It explains how to flush the excess grease out and where to concentrate your efforts.
These are particularly tough reels and have a awesome drag system. The largest models are real giant killers. The mid size 364 is a fine reel too but because of the smaller frame size it needs to have the line loaded carefully and not overfilled.
One more thing about these reels. Because they are furnished with large SS gears they get smoother with use. As the gears wear it they just get sweeter.....so use them.
Jeff
Thanks for the info. Went out Saturday and it was stickier than before. Seemed fine at home, tension down with a smooth quick release. Don't think it has anything to do with how the line's on there. It's not going back yet since I use it too often, so time to tear it down. I'll check the videos wrt flushing, and appreciate the oil rec's. Not excited to do that every week though if that's what's required to maintain optimal performance!

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
That is a nice Calico!
Once you do a degrease and get familiar with the reels internals the service routine gets pretty easy. Honestly these are very good reels.
I did have one of the 463s that had an issue caused by having clearance issues caused by the application of too much powder coat on the frame. I "fixed" that one myself and the reel works like it should. Fwiw I consider any item like this to be sort of a kit like most tools I own. Servicing and modifications are all part of the process of fishing.
Jeff

SByakfish

Aug 4, 2017
Santa barbara
Name
Niko
Boat
kayak
Tore it apart, the worm gear bearing on the plate/brakes side had some grinding. Took a few rounds of wd40 and spinning the hell out of it to free it up. Water must've got in there and never drained. Degreased wormgear and basically every other bearing I came across got some oil and now spin better. Spool bearings could still be looser, but I did what I could. It makes a little noise but overall feels much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Sounds about right. Using any reel on kayak duty is going to force you to be more proactive on your service routine. It is just the nature of the beast. I find I actually enjoy cleaning and servicing my reels after every trip. That way I know exactly what to expect from them out on the water. Having confidence in your gear makes you a better fisherman. As you get more familiar with the reel it gets easier and is no big deal.
I have stopped some very big fish with these relatively compact reels. They are real workhorses! I just wish they had been around 30 years ago........the levelwinds we had available back then were rubbish by comparison.
Jeff

Macky

Sep 14, 2009
Brea
Name
Macky
Boat
N/A
Has anyone tried the newer factory ball handle on this reel? (not the one with counter balance)