Kokiak Island, 2020

DWBMontana

Dec 25, 2018
NE Montana
Name
David Bradley
Boat
Lund 2075 tyee
Myself and wife are starting to plan for next summer, just had a friend come back from Kodiak earlier this month. He gave me the name of who he had used, and they had what I consider real good fishing. Just wanted to see what other captains are out there and any other comments. Places to stat, eat, must see, time to spend there, thanks.

Randal

randal
Nov 29, 2004
California
Name
randal
Boat
19' Marine Specialty
My wife and I went to Kodiak in 2011 and the island is beautiful but the city of Kodiak is not fancy, no memorable places to eat. I found Kodiak was a great place to make your own fun when you did not have planed activities. Every free day I got up early and fished the Buskin river for pinks, we drove the road system and fished the rest of the rivers for more pinks and along the way we saw multiple bears. We stopped everywhere and hiked around, took in the military history and culture. We took an ATV trip to the Saltry river, really enjoyed the scenery along the way.

DWBMontana

Dec 25, 2018
NE Montana
Name
David Bradley
Boat
Lund 2075 tyee
Thanks, I am guessing a few things have changed in those 8 years at least some what, did you salt water fish , if so how was that?

Randal

randal
Nov 29, 2004
California
Name
randal
Boat
19' Marine Specialty
I'm sure things have changed since I went there. We did fish for halibut and it was good fishing. The best part was a short boat ride to the fishing grounds, maybe 12 miles. I know that I said that dinning was not memorable but that was because we did not eat at the higher end restaurants, and there are a few. I did enjoy drinking beer and talking with people at the Kodiak brewing Co. I found the city to be a stopping/lodging point for fisherman and hunters, not designed for the average tourist like Seward or Homer. I felt like the real fun happened once you left the city. I hope someone else will give more recent input.

Reactions: FishRock

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I'm sure things have changed since I went there. We did fish for halibut and it was good fishing. The best part was a short boat ride to the fishing grounds, maybe 12 miles. I know that I said that dinning was not memorable but that was because we did not eat at the higher end restaurants, and there are a few. I did enjoy drinking beer and talking with people at the Kodiak brewing Co. I found the city to be a stopping/lodging point for fisherman and hunters, not designed for the average tourist like Seward or Homer. I felt like the real fun happened once you left the city. I hope someone else will give more recent input.
Here is a quick run down on Kodiak, nothings in order...Directly across the street from the harbor master in Kodiak is a Restaurant/bar that has Great food, it's pricey but good. Fishing is ok, not many halibut over 100lbs caught, salmon fishing ok along with some rock cods. Theirs not much to do their except hunt and fish. not much nightlife. Kodiak is beautiful and fishing is also close and not a long run, usually 1 hr or less. I have been their 6 times in the past 7 years. P.S except delays coming or going into Kodiak, Due to a low celing of fog and clouds. I've been stuck going into or leaving Kodiak numerous times, Usually 1 day or less.

DWBMontana

Dec 25, 2018
NE Montana
Name
David Bradley
Boat
Lund 2075 tyee
Thanks Kevina, we had not considered the weather delay in scheduling things, glad you pointed out our lapse of judgement. No night life is not a bad thing, we are from a sleepy little town in Montana, so pretty used to that. Are there any charter Captains you would suggest?

Chugachjed

May 28, 2018
Seward, AK
Name
Jed
Boat
C-Hawk
Been a few years since I lived on the rock. If you’re just coming to fish I’d recommend a lodge. Look up Hidden Basin lodge or Raspberry island lodge. You’ll get better fish out of a lodge and you won’t have to worry about finding lodging. As always be prepared for weather Kodiak is in the gulf of Alaska and it can get bad and stay bad. I’ve seen it where no planes flew in or out for over a week and the ferry couldn’t run at the same time. People were freaking out.

Reactions: FishRock

BurtReynolds

Nov 6, 2011
Princevile ,Hi USA
Name
Burt Reynolds
Boat
Night Moves
I recommend Lucky 9 charters out of Kodiak. Captain Kevin kicks a$$!!!! He will get you on the fish. Be careful who you choose to charter out of Kodiak city. Some of the operators out there will not give out a boat assignment until the evening before your charter. Food in Kodiak city is excellent and there are lots of choices. We did a do it yourself trip last year and stayed at the Russian river lodge in Belle Flats. I would recommend that place again.

Reactions: Chugachjed

BurtReynolds

Nov 6, 2011
Princevile ,Hi USA
Name
Burt Reynolds
Boat
Night Moves
If you stay at the Russian River Lodge,they have a unit downstairs with full kitchen facilities. If you don't want to eat out each night you can prepare your own meals. They also have a loaner rods and reels, fish cleaning station, walk in cooler, and will vacuum seal your catch for a fee. I also got caught on Kodiak once, we got stuck for 5 days due to poor weather conditions. Your most expensive item will be vehicle rental. Its around $100.00 bucks a day for a good 4X4 which you will need to fish the rivers. Ocean charters run about $350.00 per day but it doesn't include fish processing. You will have the time of your life, its a place like no other.

Reactions: kevina