Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
I'd been watching for a weather window that corresponded with no boat projects. The weekend was good but I wasn't ready so Monday was the target. Long time fishing buddy Hank and Hemi GTX - Dannan were crew.

Hank and I loaded up ice and launched Sun afternoon to be serenaded all night by the sea lions. We got bait and started out at 5:05 toward some numbers well past the 125 longitude we had received- about 72 miles. Radar and AIS were helpful as well as the nearly smooth water. We saw commercial boats for quite a ways out but did not hear another sport fisher until we were back near West Port. Sunrise was just a promise when we got into light fog and rain.

Three hours later we were passing 125: 10 when I saw a jumper- stopped and brailed some anchovies, threw a swim bait and hooked up anchovies. No action so went a little further and set up the trolling rods and got a hit that Hank reeled in after a pretty long fight. Nice 22# in the bleed tank. Trolled further and got another single then a double a bit further. I had a birdie splasher out that attracted a lot of sea birds and a thresher shark that swam by and slapped at it several times. We pulled it in as I didn't want to lose the rig. We added a couple more cedar plugs to the spread as that was the only lure getting hit.

The next troll hit had three rods bending and we got two in and managed to get some more on live bait which is always a fun goal. A couple of the fish dove deep with surging that pulled the pole tip near the water. Big strong fish that weighed 30 # but felt much bigger.

Don't be that guy segment:
Hank had one of the heavy surging fish and I had dropped a live bait that got wrapped on his line and had knotted my swivel so he couldn't reel in past the rod tip. I was working my short leader lose when the Tuna took off again and drove the bait hook thru my little finger. I didn't have my knife or pliers on me so called Danan to cut the line- several times. He did- Hanks line not the leader but they all agreed it was better than the alternative though thankfully the swivel slipped up the line. The tip of the hook was just under the skin so we pushed it thru and nipped it off. Got the first aid kit out and cleaned and bandaged and went back to fishing. ( getting a tetanus booster today )

We had one more troll hit /bait stop and exceeded the 12 fish we thought would be enough for the three of us. Found 15 in the kill bags.
We fished the pink sand eel swimmers that were the hot bait last week but all troll fish were on a variety of cedar plugs except for one blue dog shark that chewed up a clone.

Started back at 1 in bumpy water that smoothed down about 40 miles from WP. Good day, and crew. Danan helped the 'old guys' a lot- he's holding a weighed 50#s of Tuna. 👏

SR.jpg

rod spread.jpg

9 21 location.jpg

hook.jpg

D 50#.jpg

G t 2.jpg

bait stop.jpg

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
Ouch, that hook in the finger makes me cringe!

Good trip!

liltrouble

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
Dang, I had to scroll by the finger quickly. Triggered post traumatic stress from being a deckhand and experiencing that too many times!

Reactions: SeeMeFISHIN

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 28.5
Great trip - but damn. How the hell did you push that through?

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
Looks like a nasty hookup, must have been close to the nail on the other side?

Uncle Binky

Proficient at swapping lower units
Oct 17, 2010
Monroe WA USA
Name
Mark
Boat
Herring Voices - Grady White 265 Express
Nicely done Greg - way to thread the needle and get out there. I gotta ask - once you felt the hook - did you feel the urge to dive deep, or just circle at the surface?

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
Avoiding going deep was foremost!!! Glad my line slipped.
The tip of the hook is visible in the pic. Dannan used his pliers to cut the ring loose then rotated the hook thru to cut off the barb.
Proud to say I didn’t whimper but could have used a cedar plug to bite on. :)

Last edited:

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
Awesome job on the boat and braving the early AM departure in the fog.

As for the finger, ouch.

I keep small bolt cutters in the toolbox that should it happen, makes easy work some of the bigger hooks.

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Come on man ..you should of at least dangled that finger over the side and tried for a hook up..man up..geez.. :D

• Wow
Reactions: KimH and GregE

Sea Sport

Made in Washington
Sep 8, 2014
Auburn, WA
Name
Chuck Masonic
Boat
Excalibur-2700 Sea Sport Pilot-
I'm really happy to see it finally work out for you Greg. Been some lean times out there. But it sure makes it worth it when you can put a few in the box and enjoy the thrill. And Ouch. Had a like hook in the web of my hand like that, had to cut out. It only hurts when it gets cold, rains, snows, sunshines, or gets foggy. :-)

Reactions: GregE

carrie's bait boy

No ones prostaff
Apr 17, 2015
Kent WA and Westport WA
Name
norm
Boat
Too many
Great job on the tuna! Pissed you didn’t make it the magic spot though. Got part way and stopped for jumpers?Quitters......
Great chatting the other night

• Haha

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
B'ham WA
Name
Gabe
Boat
SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
The hook in the finger is a good reminder to have a decent tool on the boat to cut the barb off a hook off.

Reactions: Fish_kid and GregE

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Yikes! You got stuck bad! I took a couple flat fall hooks to the palm this weekend and one with the barb. First time that’s happened for me.

Nice work on the fish!

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
The hook in the finger is a good reminder to have a decent tool on the boat to cut the barb off a hook off.
Yep, the first aid kit should have a pair of clean diagonal cutters sufficient for hooks being used. For Hali that might be a small bolt cutter
Buddy pulled a 100# Hali over the gunnel and the hook embedded in his thigh. flopping fish tore him up. We made him a 1st aid kit and one for us with more than just a small kit.
Bad on my part Not having knife and pliers at the ready...

Fish_kid

The Right Angler
Aug 23, 2010
Kirkland/WA
Name
Tom
Boat
Parker 2120 "F-14"
I took a pair of bolt cutters, sprayed some WD on them, then sealed them with my vacuum packer. Carry them next to the first aid kit. Used them a couple months ago and had to repackage them...

Reactions: carrie's bait boy

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
When I do stupid stuff it's because I didn't follow my favorite cautionary saying--

Learn from the mistakes of others...
You'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!!

Hopefully somone will do better

BuckFly

Registered LUser
Jun 12, 2009
Black Diamond
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Arima Sea Ranger HT
After a full-on impalement of my little finger...almost a complete pass-thu, "The tip of the hook was just under the skin"

I thought it was a little iddy-bitty problem until the pics came up. OUCH!! :eyepoppin

I guess we should now carry on board gun powder, just in case...and more whiskey!? : farmer :

Glad you got into them...Thanks for sharing!! 🍻🥃

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
No gun powder--- tetanus booster and antibiotics and it's much better :)

Dannan is a Marine officer so I had visions of "Now, don't whimper Cupcake" though he didn't say it. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: MarkFromSea

MarkFromSea

Piscatologist
Jun 10, 2012
Name
Mark
Boat
"Solo"
Nice write up, nice photos and a very memorable trip in the books for ya Greg! Way to get em! That photo is worth a second viewing.
1601393379980.png

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
Yuck, Mark

I can only hope someone is encouraged NOT to let this happen

Hope to get another Tuna trip in but need to get Judy out for salmon before it closes but have to make a trip to Portland Wednesday

Reactions: MarkFromSea