1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat Name
2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay Boat and 1987 Cabo216
5 lb reds!

Mom is out of town in Chicago, so I give my baby girl anything she wants to do, movies/food, etc., on her day off. To my surprise she says she wants to go fishing with the ole man. Pressure is on especially with an unsettled sea outside Point Loma. Head to a known productive area north of the end of the pipe where the bottom drops from 300'. Fished for a few hours looking more than catching. The 5 reds we caught, mostly her, were all 4-5 lbs each. Lunch at Chili's on the way home.

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat Name
African Queen
I trust you count your blessings every day with that kid! Awesome job...

Reactions: Chicken of the Sea
Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat Name
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    GREAT JOB DAD!!! Any time with the kids as they get older is a GREAT time!

Upvote 0

JK155

Almost A Member
  • Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    If my daughter said "let's go fishin" and catchin dinner/fish tacos, I would say - ok, whatever you want daddy will buy,

Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
    May 22, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Halibut Howie
    Boat Name
    2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay Boat and 1987 Cabo216
    How is it out there with the short swell intervals?
    Rough, especially if going into the swell. My boat does not cut thru waves but bounces off like a jet ski. I once was going out of Mission Bay's jetty and had to jump a giant +10' swell that was about to break at the mouth, went airborne and was surprised my motor did not break off once I landed many feet down on the backside of the wave, But Cabos are tough boats, and she has got me out of many delicate ocean experiences in the 20 years I have owned this boat. So, I go slow if someone's on board picking a path and speed that keeps me from going airborne.

Once at the fishing grounds I spotlock my TM over a known hole. There were some big steep swells out there yesterday so making keeping your footing was a challenge. Told my daughter to stay put and not leave her seat fishing.

If no bites, I release the spotlock and drift. If you get a bite, I hit WP to mark this location, then I engage spotlock again and fish out that hole. I rename the saved WP with the type of fish that comes up (R for reds, l for lingcod, etc,). I cannot see fish on my FFs at that depth, just bottom contours. I like to fish just before or after major drop-offs, at the top or just over the edge. That's how we fished yesterday on a very unsettled sea. Big hooks and whole squid help keep the little guys from getting hooked.

Safety Note: A Trolling Motor with Spotlock keeps the bow into the swell to keep you from being broadsided or a sneak wave over the transom.

Going home to SD Bay at full speed, down swell was fun,

Last edited:

mrkrabs

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 3, 2009
    Santee/ca/usa
    Name
    Marty
    Boat Name
    Lard ass
    :jig::jig::cheers::appl::food-smiley-014::food-smiley-014:

iu.jpg