Hellosugaree

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
There are some fugly looking knots there. My FG with a rizutto finish looks better and will remain my leader knot
+1 on the FG. I think a lot of people get scared off from the FG due to watching bad videos and ending up with an abomination, or don't cinch it down properly before finishing and end having it slip.

When tied properly it will never be the reason you lose a fish, casts and winds through guides, is super durable, and looks nice. With a little practice it can be tied in a couple minutes even while excited on a boat.

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Looks can be deceiving. The ugly is mostly a result of the sloppy half hitch finish. But the finish has nothing to do with the strength of the knot. It only helps prevents the knot from slipping off the end of the tag and slims down the lead end of the knot to better pass through the guides. The Rizutto finish is much cleaner and stays tied much better.
Starting at 1:37 he shows how to tie it.

Here is an important cinching vid.

And here is a link to a BD thread on the FG that got some attention.

Walt

PS: One of the reasons for posting the original thread was to bring attention to the strength, or lack there of, to the
Uni to Uni knot. Very popular but there are much better choices.

Last edited:

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
Jan 17, 2007
A daydream about fish
Name
Aaron
Boat
Moo
For the FG guys: Are you tying it for short mono/fluoro leaders to spectra? Or is it more for your knot with several yards of mono/fluoro (let's say 25 yards or more)?

I ask because I always think of hot bites, and guys saying it takes several minutes to retie on a moving boat. Feel free to post (or repost :o:D) any videos for how to QUICKLY tie the FG.

For reference, my long time go to for all leader connections (no issues yet) has been the Alberto/Improved Albright/RP/Collins, which I can knock out in 30 seconds +/- regardless of conditions.

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
I use the FG regardless of topshot length or material. From my kite rigs that go from 130# spectra to a 50’ shock leader of 150# mono before the swivel down to finesse fly line presentations of 30# spectra to 15 or 20# flouro.

thank you for posting the interesting results Walt. It’s always good to analyze what we are working with. I’d have never switched to the FG in the first place had I not read similar articles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishybuzz

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
As for how to tie the FG quickly, I would say it is mostly in your body positioning and set up. I have a small carabiner on my boomerang clippers that I wear on one of my belt loops (in my case on my right side since I’m left handed). I tie a simple over hand loop in my spectra and clip it into the carabiner with the rod in a holder. This does three things, it frees up both hands, by leaning forward or back I can adjust tension on the spectra as I wrap, and most of all it puts the work right in front of your face where you can see problems and where your hands have the most dexterity. That should speed you up quite a bit, give it a try.

Reactions: woodfish330

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
For the FG guys: Are you tying it for short mono/fluoro leaders to spectra? Or is it more for your knot with several yards of mono/fluoro (let's say 25 yards or more)?

I ask because I always think of hot bites, and guys saying it takes several minutes to retie on a moving boat. Feel free to post (or repost :o:D) any videos for how to QUICKLY tie the FG.

For reference, my long time go to for all leader connections (no issues yet) has been the Alberto/Improved Albright/RP/Collins, which I can knock out in 30 seconds +/- regardless of conditions.

I use FG for any braid to mono/fluoro connection. Whether it's a short leader for abbraison resistance when I'm bottom fishing or a top shot that I make long enough to wind on to the reel and cast with.

I've seen so many videos of people using their mouth to hold the braid, props to keep tension, or require their reel or rod to be hanging mid air. This is totally unnecessary. You can tie it in the field with 2 hands and no props no matter where your braid end is coming from.

This is the method I use:

With some practice you can do it pretty damn fast and all you need is 2 hands. So many people make it way more complicated than it needs to be. I've seen videos of people teaching to tie it using a table as part of the procedure... forget that. If a knot can't be tied on a boat easily in a reasonable time while I'm excited with fish FOMO then I wont use it.

No the knot doesn't require glue, and no you don't need to burn the mono to have it full strength; if its cinched properly before finishing it wont slip. Period.

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
I have tried the no tension, but I prefer to see how the coils are forming. When you pinch it, it’s easier to make a mistake. The way I do it, it’s right in front of your eyes and is quickly noticed.

njoyflyfishing

Well-Known "Member"
May 3, 2016
Diamond Bar, CA
Name
Nathan
Boat
16' Slideright
Hi Walt,

Good point on the uni to uni connection not being the best. Most use it at some point, but probably only useful on small fish heavy line combo. In big fish light line scenarios there clearly are better options.

Good article as well. I normally tie a bimini in my braid and go from there. I use the yucatan mostly for the connection to a leader. I was not sure what the improvement in the bristol was that they showed in the article, but I am assuming that it is the bimini.

I haven't tied the FG, but I am assuming that the improvement is the loop in the braid. This knot doesn't require a bimini, but it looks like if you use one it still works.

The GT looks like you could do it on the water, but the thing about that one is that you either need a large loop in the bimini or a shorter leader as the business end has to go through the bimini loop.

I haven't done the bobbin knot but it looks like another nice knot. I got confused at about step 15 on the finish. I wonder if it really requires that complicated of finish as that knot would cinch down on itself and the finish looks like it would just keep it from coming apart, sort of like the bimini. I wonder if a simpler finish would work, maybe with a touch of superglue.

Thanks for posting.

Nathan

Reactions: yessokk

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
PR knot is a very good knot. Just take a good amount of practice. Improve FG is just like a regular FG but just double the line when weaving it back and forth

Reactions: yessokk

Sawmill killer

Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
My FG knot skills suck and don't have confidence in it when practicing it at home so I've just stuck with the Albright as it's very easy, fast, efficient and finishes very nice.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Tie...tie...tie. Practice...practice... practice. Before your trip....

Fishing with confidence in your knot choices makes a whole world of differance. The extra pressure you can put on the fish. ...The last few minutes, sometimes makes ALL the differance.

To gain that confidence.....NEVER EVER accept a "questionable" knot you've tied by putting it in the water.....NO MATTER WHAT! Agree with your eyes and personal assesment and cut it off, immediately. Bar none. I dont care if your in the middle of a hot bite.... that second of haste.... gonna cost you big time. Lost fish..... let alone crucial minutes during the actual "bite time"... you lost because of accepting a questionable one....and "pop"...

I guess what I'm trying to say....The boat is where you use your best.... not try to learn that new one your buddies just showed you. When the heat is on.... consistency is king in my book. That, my brothers comes from allot of "pretrip" practice. Don't be trying that "new knot" at that critical moment. Tie what your sure of.... confident in. Seen it over and over during my fishing career. Just saying...

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
Tie...tie...tie. Practice...practice... practice. Before your trip....

Fishing with confidence in your knot choices makes a whole world of differance. The extra pressure you can put on the fish. ...The last few minutes, sometimes makes ALL the differance.

To gain that confidence.....NEVER EVER accept a "questionable" knot you've tied by putting it in the water.....NO MATTER WHAT! Agree with your eyes and personal assesment and cut it off, immediately. Bar none. I dont care if your in the middle of a hot bite.... that second of haste.... gonna cost you big time. Lost fish..... let alone crucial minutes during the actual "bite time"... you lost because of accepting a questionable one....and "pop"...

I guess what I'm trying to say....The boat is where you use your best.... not try to learn that new one your buddies just showed you. When the heat is on.... consistency is king in my book. That, my brothers comes from allot of "pretrip" practice. Don't be trying that "new knot" at that critical moment. Tie what your sure of.... confident in. Seen it over and over during my fishing career. Just saying...

I've learned this the hard way. Didn't retie a questionable knot. Next cast hooked into the fish of the trip for our boat. Put the brakes on to keep it from running into some kelp. Instant heartbreak.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Brother.....EVERYONE HERE has done it!! I just can't believe some people make that "judgement" mistake, over and over.... sometimes on the same trip. I fished with a group for a dozen years. ...and one guy, just never got it. Year after year.....pop.... pop..... pop. I'm laughing now....but it was SAD. Your suppose to learn from your mistakes. Not repeat them every year....lol.

Bchbum54

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 27, 2008
City of Orange
Name
Bayron
Boat
I Wish I had 1
Ok so I dont see a whole lot of love for the GT knot at a 100% breaking point and super easy to tie. A lot easier to tie then a FG knot especially while on the boat

Reactions: woodfish330