yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Have been testing knots and lines since 2004 and there is one overriding lesson that has been learned.
That is ..... regardless of what knot you are tying it is of paramount importance that the cinch down be
executed as slow as possible. You need to exaggerate the slowness. Pull about a quarter inch then stop
for 3-4 seconds then repeat until the knot is cinched down. This cannot be emphasized enough, it is extremely important.
If you have any experience with materials you know that the the slower a material is distorted the less internal stress is created and the easier the bend and the less likely of material failure. The same with fishing line. The slower the cinch the less internal stress on the material being distorted. (in this case the internal stress of the knot from severely sharp bends). And the less frictional heat is created. This is especially important using Fluorocarbon as you immediately loose 20% of knot strength because of the fluorocarbon material is much less tolerant of distortion then is mono.

This is a modification that is easily implemented regardless of what knot is constructed. Will you notice an immediate benefit..... NO!!. It's only when Gladis the Barbarin sucks down your Sardine that it will provide the extra margin of strength that makes the difference. Loose the trophy to much waling and gnashing of teeth or many rounds of congrats and high fives and a trophy on the deck.

My .37 cents worth for your consideration .
Walt

Last edited:

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
San Diego
Name
walter heim
Boat
Bayrunner
Good stuff from another Walt. I think that would be "flow stress" of the material. Go slow and let it relax. That is probably real important for heavy stuff like leaders that are looped and swedged. Go slow making the 180 degree bend.

Depending on the knot, I will double the line. That seems to help.

Upvote 0