birdie800

ReelBigFish
Jul 11, 2009
LA County
Name
Chay
Boat
N/A
How often do you guys use knot pullers to cinch down your knots? Trying to decide if they're worth the $20-$30. If yes, any recommendations?

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
$20...no way bro. Cut two pieces of a wooden dowel to 3 or so inches then wrap generously with electrical tape. Works like a charm. You can make 10 sets for less than $7.

I use mine when targeting any decent grade of fish... offshore fishing usually.

nefarious235

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
I use mine every run. Absolute necessity for a correct FG knot. Friend gave me this years ago. It's my #1 in use.
Screenshot_20201211-150721.png

Reactions: yessokk and Exodus

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
I cut a 1" long piece of 1-1/2" ABS pipe, and wrapped a half dozen turns of finger tape around the outside. Wrap your braid around the outside 3-4 turns, and then the ring provides a convenient finger hold. The fancy knot pullers are nice, but there's numerous ways to ghetto together a cheap alternative. And yes they certainly help in cinching up knots - particularly for thinner braids...

tunacraze

Nov 27, 2006
Santee
Name
Steve Brunton
Boat
The Big Ones
Just buy one of these and be done with it! I've had mine for 4-5 years and they work great. I use them for every spectra/mono (flouro) connection.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Your choice, but they're easy enough to make if you want to make the effort.

I didn't have to purchase anything, as I have a bunch of "stuff" laying around, so it was basically free for me, but if you had to go out and buy the stuff, then you might as well buy already made.

I wrapped leather from an old glove around my dowels. Works better than wrapping finger tape or electrical tape.

4L2NA

Apr 14, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Name
Larry
Boat
25' Davis RHLC, D4, FinAddict
Those are totally decadent, but really nice. I have used the other options mentioned above, they all work, and it's really useful on FGs and serves. I liked the 30 Fathom tool (Model C) so much, that I got a couple for my fishing buddies. Matt is a great guy to deal with, and at least at one time, had a line of glow in the dark epoxies for flatfalls, etc.

Panchovilla

Pancho
Feb 14, 2011
Marina Del Rey CA USA
Name
Ron
Boat
Pancho Villa
How often do you guys use knot pullers to cinch down your knots? Trying to decide if they're worth the $20-$30. If yes, any recommendations?
I acquired a couple hundred bicycle handlebar grips and decided to put a wooden dowell in each....please see attached photo.....been using over 2 years and not showing any wear

DSCF0094.JPG

DSCF0095.JPG

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
My friend used two cheap flashlights with electrical tape. It's a great dual purpose use and it works for him. My bag gets soaked often so it wouldn't work for me. I use shrink wrap over 1/2 inch galvanized pipe and shrink wrap over a 1" pine dowel. The 1" diameter is a little bit large but it works.

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
Those are totally decadent, but really nice. I have used the other options mentioned above, they all work, and it's really useful on FGs and serves. I liked the 30 Fathom tool (Model C) so much, that I got a couple for my fishing buddies. Matt is a great guy to deal with, and at least at one time, had a line of glow in the dark epoxies for flatfalls, etc.
I have bought several sets from Thirty Fathoms for gifts . Have given them to friends, crew, & captains
20200921_123245.jpg

Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
None
I used to get my fingers cut every time I set up on the boat the night before we fished. I tried making my own and ordering cheap ones, haven’t been more satisfied than with thirty fathom’s set of knot pullers. I actually have two one for my offshore bag and one for my inshore.

Reactions: coastalwerks

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
Thorty fathoms has a special on Instagram
Here's the code they posted
Screenshot_20201213-085720_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: Rex1978

birdie800

ReelBigFish
Jul 11, 2009
LA County
Name
Chay
Boat
N/A
Thanks for all the recommendations! I decided to go with a knot puller set from thirty Fathoms and I'm extremely pleased with their customer service! The USPS managed to take a package from SD on 12/13 and move it thru multiple locations in Illinois and thankfully it's now back in Los Angeles and out for delivery... just in time for a stocking stuffer!

Throughout the package's adventure, Matt (Tautog_17) kept in constant contact and even shipped out another set on his OWN DIME when it seemed like the 1st package would either be lost or delivered well after Christmas. That is absolutely phenomenal customer service!

If anybody is on the fence about trying a product from Thirty Fathoms, just know that their customer service is top notch and Matt will take care of you. Highly recommended!

#SupportSmallBusinesses

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
I dig Accurates knot puller.
1608835729722.png

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
Thanks for all the recommendations! I decided to go with a knot puller set from thirty Fathoms and I'm extremely pleased with their customer service! The USPS managed to take a package from SD on 12/13 and move it thru multiple locations in Illinois and thankfully it's now back in Los Angeles and out for delivery... just in time for a stocking stuffer!

Throughout the package's adventure, Matt (Tautog_17) kept in constant contact and even shipped out another set on his OWN DIME when it seemed like the 1st package would either be lost or delivered well after Christmas. That is absolutely phenomenal customer service!

If anybody is on the fence about trying a product from Thirty Fathoms, just know that their customer service is top notch and Matt will take care of you. Highly recommended!

#SupportSmallBusinesses
Matt has been one of the best I have dealt with...
You can't go wrong