Knot numbers, Improving, Thanks to help from BD

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I posted my disappointing numbers from several knots tied in what turned out to be Seaguar Premier 130#.
    https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/knot-numbers-disappointing.704611/#post-4732946

Today there arrived in the mail a coil of Seaguar Blue 130#. I had some far less expensive Maxima Mono 125# Had to do some testing. Wanted to know how much was my knot tying, and how much the Premier. (It was likely both!)

Today I both tried some of the new Seaguar Blue 130, and some Maxima Mono 125. Crimp to Crimp was 98%. The blue boxes are average pounds at failure.

Thank you, Bloody Deckers for all your help. You will be spared more for a while, as I have run out of LI sleeves.
    Knots 11-26-18.jpg

SDJ SeaBlu130 11-26-18.jpg

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Here are results from last few days. Much better. thanks again for eveerywon's help.

The statistics are probably not valid, but I am not a statistician, so will do it anyway. I put in the standard deviations for each knot -- which is a function of the spread of the numbers. Theoretically, only 5% of the knots would fail below two standard deviations from the average. That is in the column titled 95%.
    4 knots and crip to crimp.jpg

Clearly my Uni is not so good. the rest I am OK with.
    Now I am off to concur the FG.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Here are results from last few days. Much better. thanks again for eveerywon's help.

The statistics are probably not valid, but I am not a statistician, so will do it anyway. I put in the standard deviations for each knot -- which is a function of the spread of the numbers. Theoretically, only 5% of the knots would fail below two standard deviations from the average. That is in the column titled 95%.View attachment 983662
    Clearly my Uni is not so good. the rest I am OK with.
    Now I am off to concur the FG.

I kept having way more trouble tying a 3 turn uni than I thought I should. Today I finally started tying it like a Risutto knot (however you spell it). After making the three wraps with the tag end I pinched the top and unwound the wraps over the tag end and then tightened. Poof! A perfect 3 turn uni. A thing of beauty.

When I just pulled the tag end and main line to cinch it up it worked out about 25% of the time. I think the low numbers you got for the uni are likely due to either poor chinch or too much heat being generated trying to get that good cinch.

Reactions: Fishybuzz
    Upvote 0