Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Hi guys. I'm coming to SD in Sept for the Excel Phenix Rods trip. I've been using the improved Albright knot for connecting my braid to mono/floro for GOM fishing. I've had good luck with it, however the largest fish i've caught may have been 30#'s. So from a 30-80# rig; jigging and throwing iron; is the improved Albright a good knot for the size of fishes we might encounter? Also for tying mono to floro what knot do you guys use. I use the acronym "KISS" quite often for myself. "Keep it simple stupid". So that being said, what knot's do yawl recommend for a Texan with a 6th grade education? Thank ya.

Artois

Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
The youtube videos look great. Does anyone have as sight with a written diagram? I want to work on this in the garage, following paper. Old school.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
It's the same as a Albright but with 5 turns up and 5 turns down. Once tightened you set the knot by wrapping the spectra and the leader in your right and left hand and snapping the line.. (Be careful with the spectra)

So pinch your mono or leader and thread your spectra in between the pinched line. Wrap 5 turns over the pinched line like a candy cane. Change your fingers to grab the 5th turn and candy cane down 5 turns and stick the tag end through the same way you came in. Wet knot and snug up knot. Snap line above...

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
KnotAlbright.jpg
Here you go.

AS in the previous video I would definitely go to at least 5 wraps up and down.
Even more if you can get it to cinch down.

Walt

AUSBW

Sep 9, 2011
Irvine, CA.
Name
BK
Boat
NA
I just test the RP knot,
seems very strong and very easy, will try on my 3 day abroad Vagabond in July....
question?, would drop of super glue be helpful?.
Thank you.
BK

jbs49

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 2, 2012
Panama
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
There is such little strength % difference between the knots mentioned and similar popular knots for connection between Spectra and your leaders. But there are some that are a little more complicated to tie, IMO the one that you can tie the quickest and have confidents in is the one to use. In a hot bite the last thing you want to do is fumble around making your connection. I myself use the approved Albright, which I can tie very quickly and be back in the water within a couple minutes and have never had a issue using it.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
In the rest of the world outside San Diego that "RP" and "John Collins" knot is better known as the improved albright…..just saying….lmao

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Thank you Fishy, that cleared some things up. I'm sticking with the improved Albright for my braid to mono/floro connection. For my second question. What knot do you guys like for the mono to floro connection? Looks like the Seaguar knot looks good.

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
Thank you Fishy, that cleared some things up. I'm sticking with the improved Albright for my braid to mono/floro connection. For my second question. What knot do you guys like for the mono to floro connection? Looks like the Seaguar knot looks good.
Surgeons Knot has always worked well for me.

-Connor

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I used the Seaguar knot for mono to fluoro but had it fail one time and now prefer a three turn Surgeon's knot.

Reactions: Anglewood

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I just test the RP knot,
seems very strong and very easy, will try on my 3 day abroad Vagabond in July....
question?, would drop of super glue be helpful?.
Thank you.
BK
Sure, but super glue sets with moisture. You wet the knot to cinch down.

Suppose you get in a spectra tangle... You can cut your spectra at the top shot, make the RP knot to reconnect right at the rail and start fishing in about a minute a strong knot that casts well.

For me it's about getting out of a tangle and back fishing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishybuzz

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
I'm on the other side of the argument when it comes to the Improved Albright. I like it OK, and I tie it well. What I don't like, though, are two things:

1. The knot has a tendency to "crush" the mono, and that weakens it more than the Pena.
2. I have seen the mono pop out of the spectra on that knot. Not often, and it has never happened to me, but I trust the Pena more.

Either way, though, Improved Albright or Pena, you don't need Super Glue at the line weights you mention, if at all. Either of those knots, if well-tied, will stand up to all the drag you can put on the line.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
On my next trip, I am going to try the DS Bight knot from the tutorials page. I typically use loop to loops, but it does not hurt to have additional options available. I will let you know my observations and assessments.

- Jeff Burroughs