Knife help question

BadKarma

Jun 2, 2011
Free State, Free Living
Name
Dylan
Boat
It's big, red, and lots of lights
Looking for a knife for my girlfriend. Taking her on her first hunt in September and I want her to have a quality knife. Now I'm getting a new benchmade (saddle mountain skinner) and would like to get her one as well. Now I am sold on benchmade, drank the coolade and all. I carry one a (think its the espionage, doesn't real matter I guess makes short work of cutting burst hose or spiking an IV bag or what ever random project I find myself in) work and quickly ditched my most trusted leatherman for it. Now the real debate is blade size and shape. I'm stuck on whether to get her the hidden canyon, a deep bellied skinner style, or the saddle mountain hunter, a bird and trout/boning knife style blade. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks BK.

JFK

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
No expert here but I prefer folding knives anytime you're going to be hiking. With a fixed blade, you trip and fall and who knows what happens....even if it's somehow protected. Bench made makes good knives but both guides I've hunted with this year had a very basic folding Case. Tells you something right there that the guys who do more skinning in a year than most will do in their lifetime choose that particular knife.

MJB

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
Camp EDC knife or skin & gutting?

I'm a havalon guy for skin & gutting but camp knife I like a good 6" straight blade.....if a lion or bear gets a hold of you the straight blade is the way to go.....folding is much safer for the most part

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Most people use knives that are way too big. A moose can be broken down with a 4" pocket knife if you know anatomy. My favorite is a Case Copperlock. I always laugh and the kook radar spikes when I see a guy with a big Rambo knife hanging from his belt.

Reactions: stroky

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Probably more critters have been dressed-out with a Buck 110 Folding Hunter than all other knives put together. I've always got one on me when I'm afield. But knives are very personal, a man will have a dozen rifles but rarely more than a couple of knives. To each his own.

Reactions: middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
I'm a huge fan of the Buck 110, simple/cheap/etc. I wear one on my belt all day every day at work and play.

I will also be carrying one of these (Dexter-Rusell 1375) in my pack https://www.katom.com/135-01660.html
It is very light with the Beachwood handle, holds an edge and perfect for cutting meat. Made in USA and Cheaper than Havalon blades LOL

Last edited:

One Track

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 28, 2004
El Cajon
Name
Brent
Boat
Blood
What will be the purpose of the knife? Protection? Gutting? Skinning? Camp chores? If you are worried about a mtn lion jumping on her back, you would want a fixed blade. Other than that, you should get a light do-all folding knife, like the Case.

MJB

Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
If a mountain lion jumps on your back, you can forget about pulling a knife out
Maybe maybe not....a few years back a guy took a ball point pen and jabed a lion in the face while the lion had a hold of his head.