KiwiGrip nonskid deck.

Manbat

Aug 19, 2007
chino hills
Name
Jon
Boat
In between
Just finished my deck and really like this stuff! Super easy to apply hoping to put it to the test soon!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reactions: bparker1225
Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Looks great. Can you tell us a little about the process of prep and application?

Upvote 0

Manbat

Aug 19, 2007
chino hills
Name
Jon
Boat
In between
after finishing replacing most the deck I filled and sanded everything. Then hit it with a grease and oil remover with a sponge and taped off the edges. It's a 1 part product so no mixing simply plop it on with a putty knife and spread it a little then the roller that comes with it adds the texture. It says to pull the tape asap for clean edges and it worked really well. Besides the prep it was really easy and using the roller it really gets an even finish. It has a 25 minute working time so I had to be quick and probably should have had a helper to work ahead of me but I did 70sqft in about an hour by myself and have no regretful spots or blemishes. As far as rehabbing a boat this was one of the easiest steps so far, super happy with it!

Upvote 0

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
With a 1 part product, how hard does it cure? I guess I'm asking if it's hard to clean because it's not a 2 part paint that cures really hard. I'm no paint expert, so I truely have no idea. I've heard how easy this product is to apply and I'm thinking about using it for my deck. Just want to know how it holds up to the abuse of an active fishing boat with blood and scuffs on a regular basis.

Upvote 0

Manbat

Aug 19, 2007
chino hills
Name
Jon
Boat
In between
I'll definitely put it to the test this season and see how it holds up. I did almost go the awlgrip route but was put off by the mixing and hazmat charges and stuff. This is my first real build so I'm learning as I go.

Upvote 0

JFK

Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
With a 1 part product, how hard does it cure? I guess I'm asking if it's hard to clean because it's not a 2 part paint that cures really hard. I'm no paint expert, so I truely have no idea. I've heard how easy this product is to apply and I'm thinking about using it for my deck. Just want to know how it holds up to the abuse of an active fishing boat with blood and scuffs on a regular basis.

Kiwi grip isn't real hard. Even when fully cured it's got a little softness to it. Really common on topsides of sail boats as it's easy on bare feet. Should clean up fine with blood and guts but I'd get a stiff nylon brush.

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
after finishing replacing most the deck I filled and sanded everything. Then hit it with a grease and oil remover with a sponge and taped off the edges. It's a 1 part product so no mixing simply plop it on with a putty knife and spread it a little then the roller that comes with it adds the texture. It says to pull the tape asap for clean edges and it worked really well. Besides the prep it was really easy and using the roller it really gets an even finish. It has a 25 minute working time so I had to be quick and probably should have had a helper to work ahead of me but I did 70sqft in about an hour by myself and have no regretful spots or blemishes. As far as rehabbing a boat this was one of the easiest steps so far, super happy with it!

how much did it take to do your deck(70 sq ft)? how much was it and where did you buy it from?
thanks for any info you can give!!

Upvote 0

Manbat

Aug 19, 2007
chino hills
Name
Jon
Boat
In between
Inside the little cuddy on my boat it still had the old non skid and I sanded down the rough ends and went over it with the kiwi grip and it blended just fine. The rest was over epoxy resign. I bought the gallon which said it will cover 80sqft and it was right on. I had about 70sqft to do and it covered it all with a tiny bit left that I might use on the bow near the anchor. If anyone wants the little bit I have left with the 4" roller to try a test spot just let me know and they can have it if they are really interested in the stuff. I think it was 150$ for the gallon from Jamestown distributors and it came with the 4" roller, I should have bought the 6" roller but it just took a little more time.

Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
Not raise a dead thread but . . .

I did my old Arima with Kiwi. Easy to do over the worn nonskid and looks great. If I ever redo another boat i will kiwi grip. Ita just too easy.

Upvote 0

Reel Kahuna

Mar 24, 2011
Lake Camanche, CA
Name
Seon
Boat
23.5' Navigator Duckworth F150 Yamaha
I just built a 80 sq ft hardtop for my Pontoon but bought vinyl deck covering but after reading this, I think I'll use the vinyl on something else and by a gallon of Kiwi. Thx

Upvote 0

Latest posts