Kite set ups

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by SD Bass Assassin, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    The reasons I don't like to use the boat kite outfit and like my own is that as BillW has stated lots of times the biggest fish are caught on the kite and in a real scratch bite it could be your only shot at a good fish....there is no telling what condition the line is ...no telling if the spectra rubbed the hull or was abraded by another line, no telling if a hook snagged the line, no control of how the line is packed on the reel you have no idea of the drag settings.... I could go on and on.... do you really want to take the chance??.....with my own gear I KNOW the condition of the spectra I KNOW the condition of the drag and reel....JMO

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  2. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Bill’s equipment is top end. The boat had new Phenix 4X gear but i think they were 8’ sticks. Like Fishy says you own it, no one else has used it. Nothing like having your own kite rod...

3. Elitetv1958

Elitetv1958 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Music
    When I put together my kite outfit, a buddy suggested an Avet 80/3. Like the three speed and lightweight...put it together with a Phoenix. Much lighter than. Penn 50. Filled it with 200# hollow. Super powerful and not too heavy if I’m stuck in kite jail.

SD Bass Assassin and Fishybuzz like this.
  4. Squid Sammich

Squid Sammich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined

This X 1 Gazillion.

You are going to drop Over 5G’s on your berth not to mention the other thousands you spend on gear, clothes, travel, vacation time, etc and let your best shot at the fish of a lifetime, a true monster freaking demon fish hellbent on wrecking your tackle and breaking your heart, all hang in the balance with a borrowed rod and high mileage line/leader that you have no clue what shape it’s in? No thanks amigo, if I am going THAT far I’m going all the way. Have fun ripping the lips off those bass.

Edited- sorry I dropped an F bomb in there. If someone has the means and desire to have an extra outfit dedicated for the kite I think it could make a world of difference under the right circumstances. Yes the crews are probably better at rigging a setup than 95% of the customers. But there are a few times when the stars line up wrong that bad stuff happens, and this bad stuff is more likely to happen at the worst time - ie - a hot bite, ie - your best chance at catching your pb or a supercow at the other end of a thin piece of spectra that was handled by a bunch of people who possible aren’t the best at steering that spectra away from boat hulls and other anglers’ spectra. These crews do some amazing things and I am blown away by how good they are handling lines and avoiding or especially getting apart tangles. But these guys can’t be everywhere and see everything 100% of the time no matter how good they are.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  5. Squid Sammich

Squid Sammich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    Also I have a UC70 Invictus, a UC76 Invictus, and a UC70 Gladiator. If I were picking one of the 3 for my kite rod it would be the 76 Invictus. The extra length can be handy as I think Bill noted for holding your rod tip high above the guys flylining off the back while you are in jail. Also the extra length of the 76 makes the tip just a bit softer and more forgiving which could really help in a chop. The 70 is ok but I’d trade it for a second 76 if I could.

If I had to pick one to leave at home in the closet it would be the Gladiator. Beautiful rod that Mr Jim Trelikes built for me but it is a lot of rod.

SD Bass Assassin and Bill W like this.
  6. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    anytime you use the boat rod/gear you are at risk. they always use mono and mono does not last long. the rule is that you catch one on mono and you put that rig away until you can change it out. I know form my mentors and my own personal experience. when you get tireeeed,you cut corners and look past the minor details that are huge when it comes to supers

7. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    While I do not have half the experience most of you do I would have to respectfully disagree with the risk level between my gear and the boat gear, at least on the AA. While they have some well used equipment I have witnessed far more failures/losses do to issues with fellow anglers gear than I have with the boat gear. Likely due to the fact that there is more private gear being used on the boat but I have no misgivings going in with boat gear on the kite or troll. Though I will happily borrow a fellow anglers troll rig if it is the hot ticket and they agree to let me put it to use.

Though I have been eyeing a 76 Invictus and MAK 50 or like. Big bait/kite rig.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  8. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    My kite outfit is a Makaira 50W II SEa on a United Composites CX 70 Gladiator. The reel is spooled with 500 yards of 130lb TUF-Line Guide's Choice Hollow topped with 400 yards of 200lb TUF-Line hollow. I am very happy with that outfit, and feel no need to change it in any way.

That being said, if I were in your (OP's) shoes starting from scratch, I might decide to do the following instead:

- Spool the reel with as much 150lb TUF-Line hollow as will fit (no step splice). I recently had one of the best captains in the fleet tell me that this is the trend he's seeing, and he agrees with it.

- Get a CX 76 Invictus instead of the Gladiator, though I'm not sure about this one. I like the Gladiator a LOT. Same goes for the Invictus (I have one of these too). In the end, I would probably stay with the Gladiator.

SD Bass Assassin and Bill W like this.
  9. spinner

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    the AA is a whole different story/brian learned form the masters and you are fishing with only 18/ a lot more attention to detail. I have been trying to get on a trip with Brian for years. good luck

Steve K likes this.
  10. SD Bass Assassin

SD Bass Assassin Formally gurnman

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Champion 200
    I fish on the Intrepid and when fishing the kite you do not stand on the deck holding the outfit but are on the upper deck sitting down where you can actually see your baits and control them.....all my other cow rods are UC's I have 2-76 Vipers 1-76 Centuar and 1-76 Wangtuar.....fantastic rods. IMO the Invictus would make a great kite rod......[/QUOTE]

Fishy, what is this rod you call "(Wangtaur)?( Fishys quote up above)

11. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Fishy, what is this rod you call "(Wangtaur)?( Fishys quote up above)[/QUOTE]

The 76 Wangtaur is a special 7'6" United Composite blank that Randy built for me ....He only made 3 of them they have a Raptor tip size 9.. and a Viper butt section....it is a very cool rod, IMO a perfect 100# rod can actually cast a sardine with the light tip....and has the power needed with the Viper butt section...He told me they were very difficult as in "pain in the ass" to build so that the transitions were correct....and that I had the only three that would ever be built.....lol

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  12. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

I don't doubt Brian's ability but all the skill in the world doesn't help when spectra rubs the hull or another line abrades the line with a bunch of line out....and there is no way to check if that damage is buried 100 plus yards down the spool and I doubt they strip off line to check it before the next angler's kite turn.......

When they hand you the boat kite rod they don't tell you how much drag the reel has at strike or at full....I think I'll stick to my own gear.

13. SD Bass Assassin

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Champion 200
    Great stuff fishy! That's a badass rod, I want one.

Maybe someday Randy will build a rod, Rapter tip, Invictus butt section, lol.

14. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I trust my own gear more than I trust the boat gear. I know where my kite outfit has been, how it's rigged, what it has done on the trip. If it fails and there is blame to be assigned, I know I'm to blame. I can't say that about the boat's kite rods.

15. Brass_Slacks

Brass_Slacks Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    Public
    Some real reaching justifications in here LOL

You want a kite rig then get one. But don’t pretend it’s because the boat’s kite rig is prone to failure or isn’t kept in good working shape.
    Seen waaaaaaaaay more failures on personal gear than boat gear.

16. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    All My rods have the reel seats where i like them. And for the kite I like big foot rollers, just the way i like it. and when you get used to your own rod, borrowing the boat gear feels awkward.

Fishybuzz likes this.
  17. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    I have seen more kite failures on boat equipment than I ever care to remember! I don't really like fishing the kite, but I have my own outfit for that application if its the only application that's consistently working...for me its a Tiburon SST 50 (4/1- auto shift) with 900 yards of 130lb string on a Calstar 770 4XH custom wrapped with the good heavy duty ringed boat SC guides and a Winthrop roller tip (this outfit also doubles as one of my "man bait" outfits as well). Generally the larger tuna taken on most LR trips (or PV trips) are going to be on the kite or balloon... followed by the "man bait" application which in my way of thinking includes the big 2-4' squid baits.

G

Bill W and dh515 like this.
  18. spinner

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    I have used my last boat setup

19. SD Bass Assassin

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Champion 200
    Progress report guys: The rod decision was an easy choice. It's the rod I wanted all along. Thanks to you guys for verifying my opinion.

I called Ken Bush and asked him to build me a 7'6 Invictus as my kite rod. Actually, I asked Ken to spin me out 2 7'6 Invictus, the second for #130 or #150 bait stick.

Kite reel progress: TBD, I'm still rolling around ideas.

Squid Sammich, Bill W and Rodless_Jim like this.
  20. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    For a reel I would use any 50W I was comfortable with. Penn, Avet, Okuma.

You can get over 1000yds of 130 hollow on it depending on the reel and the brand of spectra. No need for step splicing as that is a great deal of line.

I went outside of the the box last trip. Used a Penn 50VISX loaded with 100# ProSpec hollow. Got 1100 yards on the reel. Didn't get a big one.

I am going to continue to fish the 100 on my kite rod. Allows you to fish a smaller reel. Have a great deal of capacity.

I dont agree with any of the ideas that 150#, 200# spectra gives you more abrasion resistance. All spectra under tension has limited abrasion resistance. The fractions of a MM differences between the line sizes is not going to afford you any advantages. Its not mono or fluorocarbon.

For me its always about capacity. The more line the less affect on your drag settings.

And as far as pulling harder with all those 38 and 40 pound drag settings.
    Have fun. You will not land any more fish than someone with 24-29 pounds of drag.

You will pull hooks and break more shit.

But hey if that didnt happen we wouldnt need the therapy that BD affords some.

Steve K, Abo, dh515 and 4 others like this.