Kite Reel. 50 or bigger?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Elitetv1958, Feb 22, 2017.

1. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel
    I do

2. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    My line winder is not your average line winder. It will get more spectra on it if you crank up the pressure. Which, I do on my personal reels.

I have 1k of 130 Western Filament on my 50VSW.

It will easily take 880 of Western filament with a professional line winder.

The reel in the picture holds less than a 50VSW

1032943_c3968bd53f8cdec55cbfdabd9f7e5dcf.jpg

vegasandre, dh515, ifish42na and 3 others like this.
  3. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    I have the same reel (actually 2 of them) they are both 4 to 1 high gear and 1 to 1 low gear... the spool arbor on all Tiburon SST reels is smaller than most other manufactures of the same size lever drag reel, the spool walls are also a bit straighter (less inward curve) so the reels hold more line. I have 900 yards of 130lb Momoi solid on both of my Tib 50's (spooled on recently calibrated Mega line winder under fairly high tension). IMO, more than enough line for fishing the kite application (even on the RRIII where they fly their kite so far back that the deckhand manding the kite rig needs a pair of binos to see your bait(s) dancing on the surface)... and no one reading this can break 130lb solid (with an ABS that is closer to 150lbs on most brands) using a rod and reel to pull on it.

G

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. stephen campbell

stephen campbell aka "Soup"

Name:
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat:
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    Too much of a good thing? Spooling braid nice and tight is the accepted goal. At what point spooling super tight to get the very most on, cause a problem when fishing and reeling back in not so tight? Rhetorical on my part but seems it could cause some surprises after the first "long soak" or kite fly.

Abo and Josa1 like this.
  5. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Most times without a fish on there is still several pounds of pressure on the line while winding back on.

The bigger problem when spooling, is too much pressure off the feeder spool will spread the spool.

One particular brand reel has spool creep more so then others.

6. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    stephen campbell and JohnTFT like this.
  7. Josa1

Josa1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Red Rooster III
    Seems to me you can do all sorts of things to get more yardage on a 50W, like solid rather than hollow, lighter rather than heavier, different manufacturers, etc. I know from experience because I did it.
    Just because you can do these things doesn't mean that you should.
    For instance, would you consider putting thread sized 400 pound test line on a kite reel? I know I wouldn't want to try to manage that sort of thing.
    I asked this question to myself, "Self, why do you not have a "rig" that fits kite use and load it with the proper length of a very strong line?"
    Think about this, the line is not in the water, therefore big bulk has no effect on stealth and I don't believe the heavier line's additional weight effects the "flyability". However, it has a LOT of effect on landing big fish! Forgiving to the nth degree, make a mistake, you can't break it and thankfully, neither can the fish.
    Solution: Sell the 50W, Get an 80, most any manufacturer, install 200 pound hollow, it'll hold 800 to 1000 yards, add a length of 200 pound mono topshot and then pair it with an appropriate rod, and you're good to go. When I did all of these things, I knew my kite setup questions were solved.
    josa1

8. tunachris

tunachris Member

Name:
    Chris Lomax
    Boat:
    none
    I top all my heavy reels with 50 yards of hollow 200 for the end game. For the kite I use a narrow 80 with 1:1 low gear. I get almost 1,000 yards of 200 on it.

Josa1 and Bill W like this.
  9. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Good evening all,

Yardage on reels is a funny thing depending on the experience of the person doing the winding.. We at Bob Sands use a power winder with a Cal Sheets Braking system for the bulk Spool side of the equation. Over many years of winding line I have developed a bit of a different style of putting line on than many others.

My goal was that when an angler lets out his or her line, has a long soak, gets picked up or not and has to wind back in, the filled spool height is the same as when I gave the newly filled reel to the angler.

When I first started using Spectra, like other things in life, I had experienced shrinkage where the spool height that was less after a long soak and winding in or after hooking and landing a fish than when I started. It seemed I was constantly splicing in more and more line to get my reel back to the spool height I wanted.

Other times, I found that improperly applied spectra could dig in, especially in the corners, when using elevated drag levels. Though I smiled through these events I vowed to remove this possibility of digging in forever as I swore, nobody but me will wind my line on my reels ever again.

I can only speak for me but I actually apply spectra to reels, using the Cal Sheets braking system, at a bit higher drag than usual setting. I cannot tell you what the pound setting is as I use the amount the line coming off the spool digs into the main spool to determine how much drag/pressure on the bulk spool I can use. After winding a million yards of line I know exactly how the main spool was wound by the manufacturer and how tight I can go when using that specific spool to fill a reel. I have actually had to rewind, on rare occasion, manufactures bulk spools because they were put on too loosely by the manufacturer. This has not happened in a while but years ago it happened quite often. Watching and experientially knowing how deep line can dig into the bulk spool will allow me to up the braking system to a maximum condition without causing damage to the line on the bulk spool.

For many years now, I use a combination of layering, weaving in at certain intervals wider spacing for a few layers, that prevent line from digging in at any drag setting. I never butt my applied line edge to edge as that is a recipe for large amounts of line capacity but also line digging issues. With this variety of layering method I employ I find I or my customers have no issue with line shrinkage or digging in. No doubt though they may have other issues with other shrinkage when the weather turns cold but that has nothing to do with me.... I hope..

I still get the manufacturers noted line capacity with my technique or more.

Just one person's opinion.

Jamie

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    stephen campbell likes this.
  10. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    You would think there would be a problem, but for some reason it gets back on the spool OK. Not like mono... My thinking is spectra really does not stretch much and the water on it does not fluff back to a relaxed state.

Josa1, stephen campbell and Fishybuzz like this.
  11. Bearwell

Bearwell Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    none
    I also bought an 80 to fish on the Rooster at Hurricane Bank. Step splice 300yd/200# yellow to 100yd/200# to 800yd/130#. Probably could get away with 200yd/200# to keep the 200# in the clip. Had all of the 300yds of yellow line plus more in the air once. One advantage of the 80 is the high retrieve speed to try to pick up as much line as possible before it comes tight.

For lower banks kite fishing, when that was done, I use a 50W step spliced 150yd/200# to 350yd/130# to 400yd/100#. They don't fly the kite as far from a drifting boat or from one of the high spots. 4:1 gears to take up the line fast.

I use a 30 for kite fishing at Alijos or Guadalupe.

I need to use a harness/plate for the 80 as it does get heavy after a while in kite jail.

Chris

JohnTFT and Bill W like this.