Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Just curious I have a makeria 30 and uc viper that I plan on using and the boat charges 75$ for ballon and rigged flying fish... is that good deal with the high success Rate of hooking cows on a kite? I know a flying fish it self is 35$ Thanks !!! So stoked for my first trip this year of two....

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
i find another boat, captain ryan on the ironclad sportfishing out of mission bay, that was 9-10 -20

View attachment 1198623
Damn!! It was only boat that worked with my schedule that worked and I’m flying from NC so I have to book ahead.. I got a 7 day in December just wanted a trip with this bluefin around right now.. but those are butterballs

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Seems steep, but it really is the best way to hook a monster and land it.

You figure $30 for flyer, $15 for the rig, $20 for balloon/helium, its really not too far off what it actually costs.

Less markup than a beer.

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Seems steep, but it really is the best way to hook a monster and land it.

You figure $30 for flyer, $15 for the rig, $20 for balloon/helium, its really not too far off what it actually costs.

Less markup than a beer.
That’s why I’m not afraid to pay for it it wud cost me more to get all that myself haha

Mr Main22

Shoot em & cook em
Apr 18, 2014
Open Ocean
Name
Mr_Main22
Boat
2110 Parker WA
The cost for helium alone is probably like 20-25 per balloon. I have all my gear and let me tell you it adds up very quickly.

Then you have your big 12/0~ j hook and a treble that alone costs $15...

But then! You need to purchase rigging floss, Skewer sticks, balloons, etc..It's so much.

PS. going for these fish ain't cheap haha

Last edited:

migelito

May 12, 2010
So Cal.
Name
Mike
Boat
Indy
7 day they should be making flyers at the island at night. I was on a recent 4day trip that didn't charge. They would make flyers at night and use the live till they ran out then switch to the their frozen. I could understand an overnight boat charging to use flyers since they dont get the chance to make them, but a longer trip sounds like a ripoff.

Last edited:

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
7 day they should be making flyers at the island at night. I was on a recent 4day trip that didn't charge. They would make flyers at night and use the live till they ran out then switch to the their frozen. I could understand an overnight boat charging to use flyers since they dont get the chance to make them, but a longer trip sounds like a ripoff.
And he won't name the boat. And why charge for the balloon, helium, and rigging? It get reused on the next fish. The only thing lost is the flyer.

Is this the same boat that nickel and dimes you to death down at PV?

Reactions: mogambosquid

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I didn’t either but if it up my chances then yes haha but I get to keep that rigging afterwards haha
Better ask them if they charge to gill and gut. Hopefully the boat has RSW. How long is your trip?
So only passengers that pay get a chance on the kite?

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Better ask them if they charge to gill and gut. Hopefully the boat has RSW. How long is your trip?
So only passengers that pay get a chance on the kite?
So just got back from trip was kinda crappy weather with bad fishing until last night with one good hotspot.. but no kite fishing at all bummed about that but good crew. will be booking with other boats in the future like pacific queen,Indy, intrepid, any other boat that produces this bluefins that are around lol tough fish to fish I know.....

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
So just got back from trip was kinda crappy weather with bad fishing until last night with one good hotspot.. but no kite fishing at all bummed about that but good crew. will be booking with other boats in the future like pacific queen,Indy, intrepid, any other boat that produces this bluefins that are around lol tough fish to fish I know.....
So, did you catch ?
Where did you go?
How long was the trip?

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
So, did you catch ? Where did you go?
First day went to sci for a couple hours then cap decided to go 40 miles south of sci nothing that day besides couple yellowtails and rocks fish nothin for me first day. That night had to go back for bait cus it was crap the first time so got better bait after traveling 110miles back to sd then second day spent all day here and there at 425 around tuna pens late evening was the best time to fish got on a school and got a lot I got 3 lol weather was so ruff on first day..good experience just can’t wait for my first long range 7 day shogun in December!!!!
Ps heard it was ruff all around sci for bluefin or the captain just couldn’t find it..

Reactions: Cubeye

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
First day went to sci for a couple hours then cap decided to go 40 miles south of sci nothing that day besides couple yellowtails and rocks fish nothin for me first day. That night had to go back for bait cus it was crap the first time so got better bait after traveling 110miles back to sd then second day spent all day here and there at 425 around tuna pens late evening was the best time to fish got on a school and got a lot I got 3 lol weather was so ruff on first day..good experience just can’t wait for my first long range 7 day shogun in December!!!!
Ps heard it was ruff all around sci for bluefin or the captain just couldn’t find it..
No bluefin. Just yellowfin? Any size to them?

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
No bluefin. Just yellowfin? Any size to them?
No bluefin the whole trip just 4 yellowtails and like 65 yellowfin tuna for the whole boat then along with just a couple bottom rock fish mixes not a productive boat the passengers in a big group had no idea what the hell to do lines crossing etc a mess!!

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
No bluefin the whole trip just 4 yellowtails and like 65 yellowfin tuna for the whole boat then along with just a couple bottom rock fish mixes not a productive boat the passengers in a big group had no idea what the hell to do lines crossing etc a mess!!
Thanks for report. Which boat was this on?