rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
The Kite is always shady to me .
On my last BFT trip , My number came up on the Kite , they said you already had 1 fish ( on a Sardine ) I stood there puzzled as they handed the Rod to one of their Buddies ( who already had 2 fish on board ) and he landed a 225 # BFT ... WTF ?? Im still pissed about that one .
Exact same FN thing happened to me. I just won't fish that boat any longer.

Reactions: Caseydmaze
Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    Last year I was on a trip and my number came up in the kite rotation. But I was hooked up to a 40 lber at the time, so I got skipped over and the next guy took it. I was a little disappointed because it was my first big bluefin hunting trip, but I got over it and kept fishing. I was rewarded later in the trip with the jackpot 207 lber caught on a fly lined mackerel. No kite needed. To me, that fish was a lot more rewarding on 80 lb gear over one on a heavy kite rig.

I say you clearly know what you’re doing since you had double limits early in the day. Just keep fishing. You never know what’s going to eat your bait. You don’t need the kite to catch a cow.

Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101
    Boat limits just gives the boat the ability to allow other anglers to continue fishing to help out those anglers who haven't limited out. It is not a blank check for a few anglers to catch as many fish as they can then keep the big ones and pawn off the small fish on other anglers. What happens when an angler on an overnight trip wakes up at 8am and is told that the guys fishing at night have caught boat limits of blufin so now they don't get to fish and will be given the excess small fish that were caught during the night.
    The boats have been fishing in Mexican waters and I'm pretty sure the boat limit rule is a California thing. I have never seen it mentioned in the Mexican fishing regulations. I have been on a lot of long range trips in Mexican waters and usually they hand you a ring with 30 tags on it. When you run out of tags you practice C&R unless you can get a galley tag or a tag from another angler.
    Under Mexican regulations you can keep fishing as long as you release anything you catch. I think it is up to the captain to decide if you are allowed to tag more fish. It isn't fair for someone with a limit to keep fishing for a big one so that he can keep it and pawn off a small fish to someone who hasn't had a fair chance to catch their own fish after paying hundreds of dollars for the trip.
    You already had 4 fish on a 1.5 day trip including 3 over 100lbs and you are upset that the boat didn't hand you one of the early kite fish. The captain did the right thing. Stop complaining.

Good post. Folks go to fish, not to be handed fish. Being handed a fish on an otherwise skunk is certainly a nice consolation prize but not the point of going out on a multi day fishing trip - at least from most folks point of view IMHO.

If I wanted to be handed a fish I'd just go to Costco and save the trip cash for the :boobies:bar. Which parenthetically might well equal out the same in tips :p. Yet I digress.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Well, this thread was entertaining as heck. Pass the popcorn!

Upvote 0

ernie_kru

Dec 21, 2011
    AV
    Name
    Ernie
    Boat
    n/a
    I think people should be afforded every opportunity to CATCH fish.. Being given a BFT at the dock is a nice gesture but does not impart very much stoke to the angler.

You had 4 fish already, greedy to be pissed. I've been in the same position when luck goes my way, on a trip last year landed 1 70lb, hooked and handed 3 to total strangers. They were so incredibly pumped, hope it made their day!

That being said, just be pumped you had such a great day.

Reactions: matt fe2o3
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Having started Tuna and other fishing age 4 in 1950, tuna 1960, it's fun helping others catch fish TOO.
    One thing I can't stand is seeing 1/2-2/3rds of the people on a trip going straight to the Parking Lot. That sucks. LOL Enough

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dbado1
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    HINT = IF you want to hook and hand off a fish for someone...USE THEIR ROD! NOT YOUR OWN!
    Several times I've seen the guy with beer in one hand, rod in the other with reel in free spool thumb down and KAWHEEEEEEEEEE gets BIT, Rod gets launched off boat, then holds his beer HIGH like some badge of what's most important LOL LOL LOL LOL

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    My opinion is once you caught your second in the dark you should have gone to bed if there wasn’t anyone up that would take a handoff. If the 40 pounder was after a hundred it should have never been tagged. You knew when the trip started that your limit was 2. If you get later in the day and some guys have quit or won’t listen then you can fill others’ limits. I think we need to get past this mentality of killing everything we hook. The comment that those of us that don’t agree with keeping as many as you can catch then distributing at the end of the trip haven’t fished San Diego enough is out of line. I’ve been fishing there since the 70’s.
    You can’t lump the drunk and lazy guys with the guys that are just down on their luck. Some days you zig when you should have zagged and you just don’t connect. Other days you can be red hot. I can see and agree with wanting a shot at the kite but once you tagged double limits I agree with not giving you a rotation. The captain and crew want everyone to catch a fish, not just go home with one.
    I’d really suggest that people hook and hand. It makes for a much more rewarding day. Most of the best fishermen on these boards are also the ones who hand off a lot.

Upvote 0

Robert c. Sample

Almost A Member
    Feb 11, 2019
    Snowflake arizona
    Name
    Robert sample
    Boat
    Reel rage
    My opinion is once you caught your second in the dark you should have gone to bed if there wasn’t anyone up that would take a handoff. If the 40 pounder was after a hundred it should have never been tagged. You knew when the trip started that your limit was 2. If you get later in the day and some guys have quit or won’t listen then you can fill others’ limits. I think we need to get past this mentality of killing everything we hook. The comment that those of us that don’t agree with keeping as many as you can catch then distributing at the end of the trip haven’t fished San Diego enough is out of line. I’ve been fishing there since the 70’s.
    You can’t lump the drunk and lazy guys with the guys that are just down on their luck. Some days you zig when you should have zagged and you just don’t connect. Other days you can be red hot. I can see and agree with wanting a shot at the kite but once you tagged double limits I agree with not giving you a rotation. The captain and crew want everyone to catch a fish, not just go home with one.
    I’d really suggest that people hook and hand. It makes for a much more rewarding day. Most of the best fishermen on these boards are also the ones who hand off a lot.
    I myself wood never take a handoff or a handout.maybe it's the Japanese in me.

Upvote 0

pascuale

• Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    Looks like you got your fish on the next trip. Nice job! Saw this on New Lo Annes Insta page.

4BCA5629-5215-4B6B-B4B6-F1582D15BACE.png

Upvote 0

hereandthere

Aug 2, 2016
    Tehachapi
    Name
    Ric
    Boat
    none
    This has been my experience on every trip over the last 21 years (yep I’m still a newbie). On one trip I had landed 7 Wahoo in one day (epic) then realized that the deckhands, captain and fishless companions were looking at me like a greedy MF and started to feel like a jack ass.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    I have no issue with "charity", either giving or receiving. I have taken a hand off from a Rock Star when I was having a bad day (although he was using my gear so I didn't feel too awful about it) and handed my rig to an unfortunate angler multiple times when I was kicking ass. Recently I made a guy's day (and a new friend) by doing just that, at hookup I knew the fish was well over 100# and his lifetime PB was ~50, he really wanted to pull on a big one. I needed that fish like I need a hole in the head, great season so far, freezers all full.
    Still, it can be hard to hand over an $800-$1200 rod and reel to someone you don't know, I get that. I've done it with kids fishing YT on $300 set ups (at my own risk) and adults (with serious gear) I have gotten to know.
    The thing is there is more to this than just cranking in fish... There is all the preparation. I rig everything myself, I pair the rods and reels, splice the loops, make the wind-ons, set the drags, select the hooks/ baits or choose the jigs. I tie the knots. If all of that results in a fish on the deck I feel tremendous pride and really don't give a flying fish who cranked it up 8-)
    Now you all know that when you ARE the rock star it's random, on your last trip you sucked. But everyone on this trip thinks you are a god. So it can't be that hard to say "let me fish one of your rods and I'll pass it off to you if (when) I hook up". Now you are fishing, hooking up and have no risk. Win win?

Upvote 0