Offshore Kite fish question

PENN

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
It's similar to what some boats do with wahoo trolling. The boat wants everyone to catch fish. Especially when you have limited time on the water or fishing a particular area or species. So if you have a troll caught hoo, your number is out of the trolling rotation until everyone has a fish.
The boat I was on last year did the same thing as the OP described above, but at least let it be known in advance (as in, when we starting flying the kite) that if you had a BF in the first 4 hours we fished in the dark, your number would not be in the rotation until/unless everybody got a fish.
Now, to be honest, part of me really wanted "my" turn on the kite, as the chance at a cow was probably best. But I understood the rationale of trying to get everyone a shot at these big BF. We only caught about a dozen in the time we had for BF.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Every point made in this thread is pretty valid. My thoughts.... if a "KITE" is going to be deployed.... Boat Rules should be discussed in the galley.... like the safety meeting.... and agreed upon by today's passengers.

If they (crew) don't allow a vote.... for kite "procedure"... and don't bring it up at the beginning of the trip...ie safety meeting... than I believe its okay to complain to the Skipper.

They make it a.point to bring up many other "topics"....right? ...than KITE POLICY should be covered as well. Takes about 30 seconds to clear up any doubts. Keeps MANY misunderstandings from happening...ie like this one. Skippers take note.....

P.s. as for a bigger fish to eat.... taken from you... that is selfish.... Mr. 4 fish. Great post.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Thanks for sharing… I like being on the water and enjoy watching others catch big fish. Personally have more fish than I need on any trip and bet you are in the same boat there with your 100# plus fish. Sounds like a good boat operation with exception of explaining the kite exclusion beforehand to you.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    The boat should have covered their Kite Fish policy during orientation. Agree with FishBoy your number should not have been in the hat in the first place; would have eliminated the confusion and resentment.

I was born in Texas; our (unofficial) State Motto: "Too Much, Ain't Enough!". However, with 4 fish already boated for the day I think you are being greedy. I think the boat did the right thing.

Reactions: fishboy93
    Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    Recently on a 3 day two things happened related to this discussion. I personally am not interested in kite fish for some reasons mentioned above, if I didn’t hook the fish on my own with my own rigging I feel like it doesn’t count, that’s just me. But I did notice that they called the same number twice for the kite, was told it wasn’t rotation but “lottery” style. I would have expected any number already drawn would be removed from “the hat” but apparently not, so one guy got two kite fish. Again I personally don’t care but know that others do. Then the next day I just happened to be right under the kite rig at hookup and the crew was trying to pass me the rod. No number called, they just said “here take it”. I already had a 100
    + fish and wouldn’t have wanted it even if I didn’t 😎. They looked at me like I was nuts when I said I’ll pass, give it to someone else 🙄

Reactions: pascuale
    Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    I think the deck hand made the right call 4 fish your done that a great day ... Sorry

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    i'm also curious about this hook and hand mentality. if you have caught your legal limit, why are you still fishing? i fully understand this with kids, however im not sure i know of a grown man that would take a fish that another guy caught. if the goal is bringing home meat, its never going be less expensive, faster, easier than going to the market. fishing at least for me and those i know is more about the experience, being on the water, the hunt, and when the stars line up, the catch, where my skills have rewarded me with a fish. having another man catch fish for me on a recreational trip, is kinda like taking his sloppy seconds.

redsnapper517

• May 20, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    The Kite is always shady to me .
    On my last BFT trip , My number came up on the Kite , they said you already had 1 fish ( on a Sardine ) I stood there puzzled as they handed the Rod to one of their Buddies ( who already had 2 fish on board ) and he landed a 225 # BFT ... WTF ?? Im still pissed about that one .

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Nah, they should have let you take that fish and culled your small one to another angler who hadn't caught anything. Yall still fish for boat limits right?
    OR MAYBE THAT TOO.....looked like a crew call to me=NEXT

Upvote 0

egarratt

• Aug 11, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Eddie G
    Boat
    None
    I am an average angler (whatever that is). Have had good and bad trips. Some of my greatest memories are when handing off a fish to somebody who has had a rough trip. Even if you did not physically hand off the "kite" fish, you were a part of that other person catching a fish of a lifetime. Feel joy for the other angler.

Less you, more them! I say you left things better than you found them so be happy and move on.

Reactions: Lake
    Upvote 0

Idamike

Dec 10, 2017
    Idaho
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    None
    I've seen people give up their turn on the kite when they have only one fish and there are others who haven't caught a fish yet. The crew wants everyone on the boat to at least catch one fish. If you have been fishing for awhile and a number of fish have been caught it is very common to put the people with zero fish on the kite first until everyone has at least one fish then they go back to the regular rotation. The limit on a 1.5 day trip is 2 fish. You already had 4 fish including 3 over 100lbs and you come on here to complain that you didn't get handed the third kite fish. I don't think you are going to get very much sympathy here. Maybe after the third fish you could have handed a fish off to one of the other passengers who was having trouble getting bit. Yea, extremely greedy.
    On one hand you are selfish. On the other it was your number and should have been your choice to have someone else reel it in or not. It is probably best for the boat to make the choice because my rule of thumb is that people are selfish asshats that don't often give two shits about anyone else but themselves.

Now, that being said, if someone else caught the fish on a kite and brought the line tight, would you consider that your PB? I'm the school of thought that you need to solely handle the rod yourself to consider it a PB.

Just my .02, but I'm just another asshat.........
    Greedy. Delete your post
    Why do you suggest that I delete my post? I am seeking opinions on a question and getting a variety of answers. That was my purpose for posting.

Upvote 0

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
    Aug 7, 2008
    Westminster, CA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
    Why do you suggest that I delete my post? I am seeking opinions on a question and getting a variety of answers. That was my purpose for posting.
    I don't think you should delete your post. You're looking for opinions and I gave you one. Now maybe you should delete your post if you are getting opinions and you don't like them. Don't ever ask anything if you're looking for the answers you want to hear.

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    I agree. We don't need self censorship. The media does a fine job of censoring our reality.

These topics keep the board healthy with new discussion.

If we all play "too" nice the message board dies.

Reactions: Let em eat 74
    Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    Boat limits just gives the boat the ability to allow other anglers to continue fishing to help out those anglers who haven't limited out. It is not a blank check for a few anglers to catch as many fish as they can then keep the big ones and pawn off the small fish on other anglers. What happens when an angler on an overnight trip wakes up at 8am and is told that the guys fishing at night have caught boat limits of blufin so now they don't get to fish and will be given the excess small fish that were caught during the night.
    The boats have been fishing in Mexican waters and I'm pretty sure the boat limit rule is a California thing. I have never seen it mentioned in the Mexican fishing regulations. I have been on a lot of long range trips in Mexican waters and usually they hand you a ring with 30 tags on it. When you run out of tags you practice C&R unless you can get a galley tag or a tag from another angler.
    Under Mexican regulations you can keep fishing as long as you release anything you catch. I think it is up to the captain to decide if you are allowed to tag more fish. It isn't fair for someone with a limit to keep fishing for a big one so that he can keep it and pawn off a small fish to someone who hasn't had a fair chance to catch their own fish after paying hundreds of dollars for the trip.
    You already had 4 fish on a 1.5 day trip including 3 over 100lbs and you are upset that the boat didn't hand you one of the early kite fish. The captain did the right thing. Stop complaining.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Idamike

Dec 10, 2017
    Idaho
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    None
    I don't think you should delete your post. You're looking for opinions and I gave you one. Now maybe you should delete your post if you are getting opinions and you don't like them. Don't ever ask anything if you're looking for the answers you want to hear.
    I’m sorry, but I thought that I was replying to Makoman1. And I have no problem listening to everyone’s opinions. Again, that is why I posted.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Idamike

Dec 10, 2017
    Idaho
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    None
    Boat limits just gives the boat the ability to allow other anglers to continue fishing to help out those anglers who haven't limited out. It is not a blank check for a few anglers to catch as many fish as they can then keep the big ones and pawn off the small fish on other anglers. What happens when an angler on an overnight trip wakes up at 8am and is told that the guys fishing at night have caught boat limits of blufin so now they don't get to fish and will be given the excess small fish that were caught during the night.
    The boats have been fishing in Mexican waters and I'm pretty sure the boat limit rule is a California thing. I have never seen it mentioned in the Mexican fishing regulations. I have been on a lot of long range trips in Mexican waters and usually they hand you a ring with 30 tags on it. When you run out of tags you practice C&R unless you can get a galley tag or a tag from another angler.
    Under Mexican regulations you can keep fishing as long as you release anything you catch. I think it is up to the captain to decide if you are allowed to tag more fish. It isn't fair for someone with a limit to keep fishing for a big one so that he can keep it and pawn off a small fish to someone who hasn't had a fair chance to catch their own fish after paying hundreds of dollars for the trip.
    You make a valid point in your first statement. Definitely would not be fair to wake up to a limited boat. Can someone clarify if boat limits in Mexican waters applies?

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    It just like hunting same shit you get to kill based on limit or how many tags you have , just because your hunting with 20+ other don't mean you get to shoot their tags for them either that not legal... I'll be dammed if some asshole C not calling you a asshole ) with 4 fish ( double limit )try's to hand me a rod that dude needs to go relax the rest of the trip instead of being the bad ass on the boat, handing a rod with a fish on it is a cocky move and a slap in the face move.

Idamike

Dec 10, 2017
    Idaho
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    None
    It just like hunting same shit you get to kill based on limit or how many tags you have , just because your hunting with 20+ other don't mean you get to shoot their tags for them either that not legal... I'll be dammed if some asshole C not calling you a asshole ) with 4 fish ( double limit )try's to hand me a rod that dude needs to go relax the rest of the trip instead of being the bad ass on the boat, handing a rod with a fish on it is a cocky move and a slap in the face move.
    I have never been on a boat that hasn’t fished for boat limits. Like it or not that is how these boats operate. We were way short of boat limits so it would not have affected your rail time. Also I gave all of my fish away to three very happy anglers.

Upvote 0
    Sep 8, 2009
    San diego
    Name
    James Walker
    Boat
    Champion - 201 Bertram 50
    I went on a half day last week... took my 7 year old out with me. I kept hooking into these calico bassers and he kept asking to real them in... I told him to quit being a dick and brought those suckers up myself. Pretty comparable experience to boating 340 pounds (aka double limits) of bluerfin tuna.

You've got two options... #1 If you don't give a shit how many fish you caught, you want that PB that someone else hooked on someone else's gear while they hold the rod for you, ask about the kite policy before you book. This conversation comes up every year. Some boats do the everyone gets a fish rule, some don't.Their boat, their rules. If you don't like, fish a boat that does it differently.

Option #2... fk those guys and bring your own kite on the next 1.5er you're on. Those deckhands won't even know what to do with you.

Side question... you weren't that dude in '02 who stole what would have been my PB albacore on the corner troll stick because I walked to the trash can at the bait tank where you?

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Fun part of the kite is watching the blow ups, after that it's just work. Step aside and let the dudes drawing a blank for the trip have a shot, have mercy, you got your 4.
    As for waking up at 8 to find the boat got limits during the night? Get your lazy ass out of bed mattress back, WTF? That's on you for not fishing when the opportunity presents itself. Maybe back away from the Yager the night before

Upvote 0

Idamike

Dec 10, 2017
    Idaho
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    None
    I went on a half day last week... took my 7 year old out with me. I kept hooking into these calico bassers and he kept asking to real them in... I told him to quit being a dick and brought those suckers up myself. Pretty comparable experience to boating 340 pounds (aka double limits) of bluerfin tuna.

You've got two options... #1 If you don't give a shit how many fish you caught, you want that PB that someone else hooked on someone else's gear while they hold the rod for you, ask about the kite policy before you book. This conversation comes up every year. Some boats do the everyone gets a fish rule, some don't.Their boat, their rules. If you don't like, fish a boat that does it differently.

Option #2... fk those guys and bring your own kite on the next 1.5er you're on. Those deckhands won't even know what to do with you.

Side question... you weren't that dude in '02 who stole what would have been my PB albacore on the corner troll stick because I walked to the trash can at the bait tank where you?
    Believe me when I say none of the other guys out fishing with me at 2:30 in the morning would have taken a handoff. Also the boat did not limit and three other anglers were very happy to get all of the fish that I caught.

Upvote 0
    Sep 8, 2009
    San diego
    Name
    James Walker
    Boat
    Champion - 201 Bertram 50
    I get it bro... I know how frustrating it is to be the guy putting in the hours all night long while 3/4 of the boat sleeps and then watch them throw a fit about slow fishing. I've seen this argument play out many times over the past few years, but I am generally more sympathetic to the guy who fished all night for one 18 lb bluefin and then got his name put back in the hat for some jerk off that slept all night. With that in mind you are gonna have a hell of a time convincing most people that you should have got #5 on a crew rod when there is only about 20 on the boat lol.

Most of my post was pretty smart ass and intentionally so, but I did mean it when I said find a boat that plays by a different rule set. And don't worry I'll be a smart ass to the guy that gets on here in a couple weeks and says "some asshole who fished all night for a limit got his name pulled and fished the kite rod.... thats not fair"

• Haha
    Reactions: Rocket Dog
    Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Greedy and selfish.Four fish and gets butthurt because he couldn't get to reel in a kite fish ?

Upvote 0

Latest posts