stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Departed at 5:30 aboard the Carefree Boat Club SeaFox 22. Fishing was slow for us. We had one bite and one fish. Josh landed a 185 BFT on the kite rig - PENN VISX 20. Pat gaffed his first tuna and stuck it in the brain! Awesome job....

Pat and Josh BFT 6.30.21.JPG

We hooked the fish in this area:
Google maps BFT.PNG

On the way in we found lots of tuna on the 9 mile bank. Other radio reports were seeing the same. Lots of tuna - all show no go.

Started seeing the BFT in this area.
Google map 9 mile bank.PNG

When we returned to the dock the other Carefree guys had two nice BFT as well. I think they said they hooked them on a spreader bar.
Carefree BFT.JPG

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Departed at 5:30 aboard the Carefree Boat Club SeaFox 22. Fishing was slow for us. We had one bite and one fish. Josh landed a 185 BFT on the kite rig - PENN VISX 20. Pat gaffed his first tuna and stuck it in the brain! Awesome job....

View attachment 1294742

We hooked the fish in this area:
    View attachment 1294743

On the way in we found lots of tuna on the 9 mile bank. Other radio reports were seeing the same. Lots of tuna - all show no go.

Started seeing the BFT in this area.
    View attachment 1294744

When we returned to the dock the other Carefree guys had two nice BFT as well. I think they said they hooked them on a spreader bar.
    View attachment 1294745
    Thank you for sharing your adventure, that's a pig!:urno1:

Upvote 0

stuman

Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Frozen FF, or Yummy Flier?

Immortal flyer - California Flyer. You can see it in the water of the first video.

Josh hooked and landed the fish in 30 minutes. The other 12.5 hours were slow. ha

The other Carefree boat did it right. They landed two and fished 9AM - 5PM - banker's hours.

Upvote 0

iconicsigns

Jul 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Kma
    Boat
    CFBC
    I was on the other boat 🤣, not to hijack but might as well throw the report in.
    I had been monitoring the reports the last couple days and it looked like everyone slid to the corner. We headed there around 9am and when we got there I didn’t see any marks, no activity nothing. Just a bunch of boats. I went out last Sunday and scored at the 226 and it was straight butter out there so I decided to head that way to check it out. Started to see kelp stacked in a line and once I got to the 226 I decided to keep going south, that’s when I saw packs of 60-100+ lbers just playing around on the surface, super skiddish. I got one cast on a school and popped him right on the head with no takers. Decided to go east coast style and put out my custom bar I made out. Smacked two within 45mins. Action died shortly after and we decided to head back. Saw action all the way back to the border, smaller grade the more east we went.

as a side note: people were giving me shit and making fun of me for running my lure a couple weeks back when the fish were off Ensenada, I believe the captain of the Excel was one of them. Remember there is no one right way to fish. 5-6 years ago no one knew what kite fishing was about yet the guys all over the world have been fishing them for years. Keep an open mind and continue to try new techniques, and also be a little nicer on the radio. Had a blast today with everyone else on the water, everyone was working together!

FBF7FC4F-06A3-4B3E-B397-68501EDEFE3D.jpeg

50FCE3D6-38DD-4796-950C-0EEC5F25CA5E.jpeg

stuman

Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff

as a side note: people were giving me shit and making fun of me for running my lure a couple weeks back when the fish were off Ensenada
    No worries, I'm glad you responded. When I heard you say spreader bar - I thought that's some BS right there. LOL
    Can you post some pictures of your invention?

As far as keeping an open mind. I tried ebbing yesterday - didn't get bit. However, as others have said it was a slow day for the most part.
    . Keep an open mind and continue to try new techniques, and also be a little nicer on the radio. Had a blast today with everyone else on the water, everyone was working together!

Upvote 0

chachi10

Aug 28, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Chachi
    Boat
    None
    I bet the sterling wide tracker spreader bars would do work on the bluefin out here like they do on the east coast bluefin and bigeye.

Upvote 0

stuman

Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    I bet the sterling wide tracker spreader bars would do work on the bluefin out here like they do on the east coast bluefin and bigeye.
    That wide tracker looks awesome. Keeps the lures out of the wake without an outrigger. The problem would be keeping other boats from running it over.

Reactions: jiggermyster

chachi10

Aug 28, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Chachi
    Boat
    None
    They make a lot of commotion on the surface. Pretty hard to miss. but obviously lots of morons out here so it'll probably happen regardless.

When I'm fishing on the east coast, we always have one on port and starboard way back

Reactions: stuman
    Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
    Sep 26, 2008
    Long Beach
    www.skipjackmafia.com
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    NO BOATS
    as a side note: people were giving me shit and making fun of me for running my lure a couple weeks back when the fish were off Ensenada, I believe the captain of the Excel was one of them. Remember there is no one right way to fish. 5-6 years ago no one knew what kite fishing was about yet the guys all over the world have been fishing them for years. Keep an open mind and continue to try new techniques, and also be a little nicer on the radio. Had a blast today with everyone else on the water, everyone was working together!

Whose laughing now great job!

Can we see a pic of your spreader?

Reactions: stuman
    Upvote 0

stuman

Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    I’m still prototyping it so not confident in sharing at the moment 😬
    Ahh, no wonder there was a delayed response to my question "what did you use to catch those fish". Everyone was quite then one person said "a bar".

That's cool, I hope you come up with the next "hot technique". You could probably have it manufactured in Mexico. There are some CNC wire bending companies down in TJ.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Lot of BF on the 9 recently a lot of them down in the morning at 150'-200 depth. Then up in the afternoon. The biggest school we saw all day yesterday was on the backside of the 9 right around your pin point. Eating that red crab....

Upvote 0

stuman

Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Lot of BF on the 9 recently a lot of them down in the morning at 150'-200 depth. Then up in the afternoon. The biggest school we saw all day yesterday was on the backside of the 9 right around your pin point. Eating that red crab....
    Question. How do you know it’s red crab?
    Does the crab show on the meter? This shot of the meter was on the nine.
    DFE10793-C465-4134-B254-EF61E7E58E47.jpeg

Reactions: Mateo el Flaco
    Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    That's definitely tuna... (and I can't certainly say that,that's red crab on your screen) I don't know what your gain is currently at but. Yea red crab come in thick I've seen them in such density they take up 20'-40' of depth like a wall. Normally for my experience they show like that (blockish) then tapper off. I saw tuna crab yesterday on the 439 and some on the back in the blue water of the 9.
    As well as catching/not catching tuna...in red crab and seeing there stomachs full of them.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Question. How do you know it’s red crab?
    Does the crab show on the meter? This shot of the meter was on the nine. View attachment 1294815
    Besides my comment above. I will say tho... the 302/371/425 was full of tuna like that yesterday all day long.... so many tuna not biting yesterday... and we left the kite, balloons on my boat🤦‍♂️. After a last minute boat switch.
    Awesome job on the fish brotha congrats!!🤙🏼

Upvote 0
    Jun 19, 2009
    Costa Mesa, Ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    36 Riviera, RIPTIDE
    I had been monitoring the reports the last couple days and it looked like everyone slid to the corner. We headed there around 9am and when we got there I didn’t see any marks, no activity nothing. Just a bunch of boats. I went out last Sunday and scored at the 226 and it was straight butter out there so I decided to head that way to check it out. Started to see kelp stacked in a line and once I got to the 226 I decided to keep going south, that’s when I saw packs of 60-100+ lbers just playing around on the surface, super skiddish. I got one cast on a school and popped him right on the head with no takers. Decided to go east coast style and put out my custom bar I made out. Smacked two within 45mins. Action died shortly after and we decided to head back. Saw action all the way back to the border, smaller grade the more east we went.

View attachment 1294783

View attachment 1294784
    You never know what BFT will eat. Caught a 70 lb BFT last June trolling a standard cedar plug way way back.

Reactions: joshc1024