dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    What is the 3 most consistent depths for catching King Salmon ( Ocean Run ) ?

right off the bottom

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Bigtuna
    Boat
    Parker 2310
    Like already said it varies, if you got multiple people on board you can run multiple depths. 3 people is ideal for am easy setup, assuming you have downriggers, something like 50ft and 100ft on downriggers, and a deep six diver right down the middle for shallow!

Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Like already said it varies, if you got multiple people on board you can run multiple depths. 3 people is ideal for am easy setup, assuming you have downriggers, something like 50ft and 100ft on downriggers, and a deep six diver right down the middle for shallow!
    Ya, ya the bait, 32. 62, off the bottom!

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Set the gain on your fish finder to find the thermocline and you'll find the fish right there. Up here that's often at 30 - 40 feet and 80 - 120 feet.

Reactions: woodfish330 and dsl
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Set the gain on your fish finder to find the thermocline and you'll find the fish right there. Up here that's often at 30 - 40 feet and 80 - 120 feet.
    Thank you!

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Where the bait is. Nobody here can answer that for you. Get out there, use your electronics, and fish! It varies day to day.
    Yes, Sir!

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    All the answers above are good. In my experience shallow is often good very early; top 20'. With more light close to bottom is usually good for Chinook (assuming you have down riggers). Exception is late season outside the jetties, almost always catch Chinooks very near the bottom regardless of where the bait is. Good luck!

Reactions: woodfish330 and dsl
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    All the answers above are good. In my experience shallow is often good very early; top 20'. With more light close to bottom is usually good for Chinook (assuming you have down riggers). Exception is late season outside the jetties, almost always catch Chinooks very near the bottom regardless of where the bait is. Good luck!
    Ya YA, one year up north, the bite was at 110ft, right off the bottom, white Crocodile spoon. Then another year, 42ft, downrigger ball bouncing, for kings, my buddy got a 15lb butt, on a 5in Watermelon Apex!

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    Right in the kicker propwash. Fifteen feet back with a 4oz. weight. That line doesn't catch many chinook, but it's responsible for some of the biggest caught every year on my boat.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Right in the kicker propwash. Fifteen feet back with a 4oz. weight. That line doesn't catch many chinook, but it's responsible for some of the biggest caught every year on my boat.
    Interesting!

Upvote 0

CaliJeepHuntr

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2008
    San Luis Obispo
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)
    Interesting question that has no right answer. The salmon will be where they want to be based on conditions and bait. We've caught them from the surface all the way down to 300+ feet. From water only 40 feet to can't read the bottom.

Find the zone they're in and work it.

Upvote 0

CaliJeepHuntr

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2008
    San Luis Obispo
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Here is some underwater salmon footage I've gotten in years past. The second link was off of Cannery Row in Monterey. You can see the salmon just cruising with spacing between each other.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Interesting question that has no right answer. The salmon will be where they want to be based on conditions and bait. We've caught them from the surface all the way down to 300+ feet. From water only 40 feet to can't read the bottom.

Find the zone they're in and work it.
    Some people have a go to depth they start with, bait or no bait, 32ft,62ft.

Upvote 0

CaliJeepHuntr

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2008
    San Luis Obispo
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Some people have a go to depth they start with, bait or no bait, 32ft,62ft.

Cool. Always good to have a plan. We tend to take note of what we're seeing on the finder on our way out and when we get to the area. Plus whatever information we may have received from either someone already out there or from the day before. Sometimes we start shallow, other times we start deep, or keep one high and put one deep. We just try to take account for the conditions we're seeing before just settling on a depth.

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    I remember reading a radio tagging study done on kings in the Great Lakes some years ago. They discovered that kings will swim as deep as 800 feet and they'll go from near the surface to those depths several times a day. There's some guy's out there that have figured out a downrigger setup to fish as deep as 600' and they do catch them that deep. Just go to show that you never know for certain where they'll be.

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Used to start, at grey light, running 4 rods at 5, 10, 20 and 40' then add 1/2 that every hour until we saw something to target on the electronics or got a hit. Then we would take the farthest from the target or hit rod and put it within 10' of that.
    Often by the end of the day, all 4 would wind up within 15' of each other at whatever depth they were favoring that day.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Nice!

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Used to start, at grey light, running 4 rods at 5, 10, 20 and 40' then add 1/2 that every hour until we saw something to target on the electronics or got a hit. Then we would take the farthest from the target or hit rod and put it within 10' of that.
    Often by the end of the day, all 4 would wind up within 15' of each other at whatever depth they were favoring that day.
    Ya ya we run 2 downriggers, 2 balls out the back!

Upvote 0