King Harbor Report

Brifish

Jan 28, 2018
Los Angeles
Name
Brian Richardson
Boat
Hobie Outback/
Headed back out to the harbor mouth yesterday afternoon. Incoming tide, partly cloudy, slight wind. Marked a lot of fish in the middle, as I was setting up bonitos started blowing up all around , slashing and jumping out of the water. Couldn’t get em to take my offerings, wish I had a top water on me, tried a weighted fluke I had tied on. Caught one Monday from the jetty flylining the same bait, they were feeding on tiny hatchlings and breezing back and forth in front of me, very finicky. No action on top, so I started drifting from the outside, back into the harbor.Sent a fluke to the bottom on a 1/4 ounce lead head tied to 8# floro on a 6ft spinning setup. First pass , pretty good calico, about 12in, second pass, Bonito , third, Sandy, about 10in. A lot of fun on the light setup, especially the bonito. Some prick with his family saw me and just pulled up on my spot dragging lines behind him, hard to be friendly. Bite shut down. Made a few more passes, a few bites no takers. Decided to head back in and right then a big male sea lion showed up, (same one?). He followed me halfway back to the marina. All the others just ignore me or steer clear, I bet this guy is used to following boats. Anyway, great day, glad to get out, I feel lucky when so many people are suffering. Sorry no bass pics, hard to get my phone out I gotta work on my system.
6DAEF78A-364D-49BF-915B-A8E5B771788D.jpeg

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
That's a breath of fresh air.
Thank you getting out and posting.

John McKroid

Apr 24, 2018
Fort Lauderdale
Name
John McKroid
Boat
Hobie Pro Angler 14
Love hearing about old stomping grounds -- Wish we had kayak fishing back in the 70's. The Edison power plant pumped out hot cooling water that kept the Bonita well stocked there year-round. Right now the Tuna off Florida are keyed in on micro bait. Sometimes a crappie jig will fool them. Might want to try that for the Bonehead.