King 5 interview on Director Unsworth

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Fishinnut, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Fishinnut

Fishinnut I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ron Garner
    Boat:
    32 Proline Express
    http://www.king5.com/article/tech/s...r-demands-by-wildlife-activists/281-511618916

Here is a link to yesterdays King 5 interview. PSA had to step out of the box and go after Director Unsworth. Some of the other groups wanted to keep him. I kept hearing that the devil you dont know could be worse than the devil you do. I did my reasearch and was far ahead of the others so I made the decision to go after him, he was a friend mind you, that did not make this easy.

My response was really? He did not do his home work and just put a potential 12 year travesty on Washington state that went far beyond required. I just want to clear the air as I am also hearing bad time to take out the director before NOF. NO IT IS NOT!

I want to put this out for you to understand why it was important. Then we can put this behind us.

PSA has members on fishery advisory bodies, federal, state, and partnerships with WDFW. We have people working North of Falcon negotiations where we divide up the salmon between tribes, commercials, and recreationals. I always check in and follow up on NOF, Pacific Salmon Treaty (Our salmon treaty between Canada, US, and Alaska) and talk with commissioners/staff. We gave the director time to learn the ropes. When checking with our members and staff working all of these negotiations I get a report of how things are coming along. When I bring up what does Director Unsworth say, most of the time I hear, "He would have to be here to say something." His attendance record on issues that we consider a major part of his job, he is not attending to make sure that the best possible decisions are made on our behalf.

PFMC/NOF 2017 Vancouver Washington meeting he was only there 1 of the 6 days. He was reading the newspaper during the Washington Caucus on the day he was there.

At the Sacramento PFMC/NOF 2017 final negotiations, where it was time to come to agreement with the tribes. He was out at the swimming pool with his grandkids. The tribes and anyone could see him out there. They were so insulted that our #1 negotiator was not in meeting with with them trying to conclude the deal. They were upset and NOF 2017 was not going to be signed. This is the following year after non agreement at NOF 2016. Not many people know this. JT Austin of the Governer's office had to get involved with previous WDFW director Phil Anderson. They went to Chair Lorraine Loomis of the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission. It took some work but they were able to convince her and the tribes to commit to an agreement. Director Unsworth had made the tribes so angry they were not going to sign.So we would have not fished in 2017 either had not JT and Phil gotten involved.

In talking with one of the eastern commissioners telling him of the lack of the Directors attendance at our most important fisheries meetings, I made the mention that our fisheries are complex and hard to follow but feel the director is no longer going to engage with our fisheries at the level required. He is probably doing a good job with land issues where grizzlies and wolves are involved and more in his background. The reply was that he was not showing up at the wolf meetings either.

This was a real eye opener. He is not showing up at those meetings too? The tribes demand to deal with our Director, the top negotiator for us. They felt disrespect from him that he cannot come to those meetings in person.

I felt he gave up on knowing fisheries and was no longer gong to engage in them. I hope this helps you to understand.

cohotr, digits, Nelly and 32 others like this.
  2. Barracuda1

Barracuda1 Master of None

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
    Solid work Ron! Well done and well said. After reading this I don't believe we can do worse.

Nelly and LJB like this.
  3. Fog Ducker!

Fog Ducker! Misanthropical member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    4 and counting!
    Another stellar reason to join Puget Sound Anglers!

Try to have as many memberships as Miss Eliza has rod holders!

Join early, join often!

Come and support our Monroe Sportsman Show!

Ducker!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Nelly, Genie Aye, Barracuda1 and 5 others like this.
  4. WaveDancer

WaveDancer Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    Thank you Ron Garner and PSA for the tireless work you do on all of our behalf's.

Is there someone out there that the sport fishing group/lobby or whatever you would call us should get behind in replacing Unsworth?

Do we pressure the Governor to make the right choice or does the choice lie elsewhere?

What can we do or try to do to insure a terrible hire like Unsworth is not repeated or heaven forbid make an even worse choice on the next hire?

Once again thank you Ron, sport fisherman state wide can never repay you for the things you have done on issues like this.

WD.

5. jasper hickman

jasper hickman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jasper
    Boat:
    26' sea master, RED BEARD
    Wow, that is a shocking account of how the director was engaging in the negotiations.

Thank you Ron for all your hard work

FVSerenity likes this.
  6. fishbadger

fishbadger Member

Name:
    fishbadger
    Boat:
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    Wow. Quite an account of job performance.

Hopefully the devil we don't know turns out OK, and isn't a commercial or tribal advocate,

fb

7. Dash One

Dash One Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    21’ Bayrunner Skiff
    Ron,

Keep your eye on Ron Warren ... not a friend of the sporties. Just sayin' ...

Jay

Nelly, FHisherman, JTC and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hannibal

Hannibal Hold my rod?

Name:
    Kellen
    Boat:
    Carolina Classic 25 Tail Hooker
    Ron thanks for everything you do for the fisheries.

Genie Aye and TwoTapPat like this.
  9. bigdood

bigdood I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    Nauti Dawg
  10. FINATIC 21

FINATIC 21 MAD SALMON

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    27 Raydanie Pilothouse
    Very Nice Ron , solid work , let's move on and hopefully get the right person in the #1 spot

My Vote goes to Ron if at all
    Possible ...!

Genie Aye and FVSerenity like this.
  11. mrfish11

mrfish11 "Ice Melter"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    Take on the challenge Ron. Think of all the support you already have. I guarantee you could and would make a difference and have our support the entire way!

FVSerenity likes this.
  12. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    We all appreciate the "straight poop". Did the guy do anything right? Seriously, did he?

Ron? How is the next Director put in place? Is he/she appointed, elected, interviewed??

Whoever gets the job, it will be navigating a shit-storm, but I hope they can strike the right balance everyone can live with, and protect the resources for our children. Good-luck with that.....................talk about mission impossible....

13. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    I vote Ron

14. Grady226

Grady226 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    22' Grady White
    Thank you Ron for your dedication to our sport!:cheers::appl:

Genie Aye and fishinden like this.
  15. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Ron would get his hands tied up and he then could not work behind the commissioners to effect change. Gov Inslee says do something it would have to be done. Now if something is up in the wind and Ron hears of it by either the tribes, Gov, or commies.; He can rally the forces to defeat it.

Status quo is for him is a good thing.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Fishinnut, bigdood, LJB and 2 others like this.
  16. Fish Slapper

Fish Slapper I would love to be your Captain for a day!

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    30 Ft "Pacific Addiction". 26.5 ft Alumaweld Columbia "Turbos Palace"
    I sure wish we could get the tribes out of the picture so much has changed since the treaties were signed its just not right. The smallest user group gets 50% of the resource and no oversight...something needs to change...we need to become 1 voice for 1 resource..I know its far fetched but I sincerely feel the tribes will be the end of the resource if not stopped very soon.... they juts get a free hand and can do what they want....its no longer about subsistence its about money just like everything else in the world.....

17. shannon o'sullivan

shannon o'sullivan Newbie

Name:
    shannon
    Boat:
    22' hewescraft ocean pro ht
    THIS!

18. FishPimpII

FishPimpII Dreaming about the next boat...

Name:
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat:
    Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" now that the FishpimpII is sold
    Someday boldt will be overturned but not soon.
    In the mean time at least it sounds like we can have hope that we someone back at the negotiating table fighting for our little slice and trying to make the pie bigger.

19. WaveDancer

WaveDancer Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    I agree 110% with Mark on this issue.

I talked to a retired federal trial lawyer many years that had some knowledge of how things like this can be approached in the federal courts and he said the thing he would try would be a "Traditional Species & Traditional Methods" type of lawsuit and at the very least attempt to make the Feds enforce the Boltd Decision that clearly states that Native Americans and non-natives must fish "in-kind" which means they fish, we fish, we don't fish, they don't fish and it applies to areas/locations as well.

How it ever got morphed into what is happening today baffles me short of calling it pure bullshit/payola.

Whatever it's going to take we all know one thing, it's going to be very expensive the way things work currently, lets just hope it gets fixed before it's all gone.

Just my .02

WD.

bigdood, Genie Aye, Fireball and 3 others like this.
  20. Kitsap Fish hunter

Kitsap Fish hunter Newbie

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Arima 17 Sea Chaser
    FYI- The tribes have already won the subsistence issue in court. Subsistence to them is the ability to provide a living for their families....