catch and eat

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 18, 2007
Portland Oregon
Name
Bernie
Boat
26' Glacier Bay 2680
Man, kinda boring over here on the Washington side. No spats, or big arguements. What's wrong with you people.:_gore__::gayfight:

Come visit the Oreo's once in a while and find out how to fish, where to fish and what not to wear to the dance.

Cornfed

CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS
Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
Ha ha...yup...no bickering here. Let's keep it that way, huh? I've been watching from afar. Good God man....3 closed threads. Cmon Oregonians!

You're gonna teach US how to fish? Give me a break! You'll probably forget how to fish after this summer of closed seasons...HA HA HA. Let's hope the commies forget too.

Why don't you visit my turf at Neah Bay and i will show you how to put lings and hali in the boat and be back by noon. Then meet the the WA pimps at Westport and we'll show you how to TUNA WITH THE PROS

:_smack_:

Mo

#1 OG, part time Secret Moderator
Apr 10, 2007
east of the west coast...
Name
Mo
Boat
20ft Thunderjet,Hobie 12ft Pro Angler,Boat Ho on KA
I am here to talk fishn...all the online fighting is for guys who can't back it up at the dock...
rumor has it most of them are from Oregon....:nutkick:

Seefood Man

Mar 15, 2008
WA
Name
mud
Boat
none
Man, kinda boring over here on the Washington side. No spats, or big arguements. What's wrong with you people.:_gore__::gayfight:.

No sence fighting with you all,,,, that's what I got married for.
Damn I love a woman with a good right hookLOL

jre63

CR Dog
Jan 11, 2007
Portland, Or
Name
James
Boat
24' Renell Pilot House
Man, kinda boring over here on the Washington side. No spats, or big arguements. What's wrong with you people.:_gore__::gayfight:

Come visit the Oreo's once in a while and find out how to fish, where to fish and what not to wear to the dance.
Hey Bernie: Since you and I, (plus others), moore our boats in Ilwaco, aren't we considered Washington fishers? Or maybe were just a breed of our own. The CR gang, home of the Pacific Graveyard. :Zombie_Ro

Reel Obsession

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 26, 2007
Battle Ground WA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Seaswirl Striper
Hey Bernie, James. Yeah, I think you Ilwaco guys may have just a little Washington blood in you. As for all the drama on the Oregon BD board, I get a kick out of all the posts about "freedom of speech" and "freedom from mods" that keep getting shut down by the BD mods. Now THAT'S funny!!!

Personally, I have been a member of 4 different forums for quite some time, including bloodydecks although I seldom post on those sites. I go to different site for different info such as the Striper Owners Club for tips and tricks when working on my Striper. But I've met more friends and learned more on ifish than all the others put together. But that has nothing to do with the site itself, or the mods, or sponsors. It has to do with the incredible depth of knowledge (sometimes leading to a like depth in ego) that members on that board have. In that sense, I suspect BD will see more of my time in the future.

Bottom line, I just hope when it comes to Salty Dogs chasing tuna, we don't somehow end up as BD WA, BD OR and ifish guys breaking away from what we have in common in order to show some sort of aliance to a website.

catch and eat

Jul 18, 2007
Portland Oregon
Name
Bernie
Boat
26' Glacier Bay 2680
Okay, Okay, I have a little washington blood in me. I have a house in Ocean Park and I keep the boat in Ilwaco.LOL Dual citizenship!:bath:

Keta

Ignorant Sheep Farmer
Nov 13, 2005
Still in Oregon
Name
Lee
Boat
3' Too Short
I'd never consider fishing out of Illwacco.......D'oh!!!! I do fish occasionally out of Illwacco. I can't wait to see the refurbished Northern on the water.

bajadan2000

Dec 13, 2005
Vancouver, Wa.
Name
Dan
Boat
Shamrock Predator, "Bay Dreamin'"
Got to give you Illawco boys a :appl: ... You need a big set of marbles to run the Columbia bar.

I would rather run the Depoe slot at night with pea soup fog than run the Columbia bar.

drseiler

Super-Model
Mar 19, 2006
Camp North-Star
Name
Hal Danish or Harry Tators
Boat
19' Mako
It's all that better grade:smoking33: up there. Keeps the WA. guy's calm. plus really good fishing.

Northern

Official Carbon Credit seller
Oct 17, 2007
b
Name
a
Boat
68" livingston
Going out is easy, long as you know the area.
Coming back on a Fall-Winter minus Ebb tide ain't too much.

Reel Obsession

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 26, 2007
Battle Ground WA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Seaswirl Striper
Got to give you Illawco boys a :appl: ... You need a big set of marbles to run the Columbia bar.

I would rather run the Depoe slot at night with pea soup fog than run the Columbia bar.
It's all about timing Baja. I got the crap beat out of me a couple times and that bar and decided I needed to learn more before I died. Have to watch the ebb, the size of the exchange (key), and the current conditions. I run a couple time and exchange graphs before I run and have my own set of parameters I check against. Then I look at the current ocean conditions, as the bar will make those conditions 2 or 3X worse. If the graphs and or current ocean says "Tim.... Don't go.......", I don't even leave the dock, no matter what Bernie, I mean other more daring boaters are doing. Then I go and take a look see and try to catch some Salty Dog on the radio for confirmation. If it all lines up, I tighten up my marble bag, and head out. Then I listen to reports while I'm out, and refer to my graphs to know when I want to avoid on the return trip.

When all is said and done it doesn't have to be a big deal and I may make more of it than required. I've taken people over the bar who get outside and say "when do we cross the bar?" Still, the single most dangerous boating situation I have ever been in was on the bar, and I'm doing what I can (short of not crossing it) to keep from repeteing it.

Chesapeake

Mar 18, 2008
Washougal, WA
Name
Rick
Boat
OPB
Thought I would venture over this way and see what was going on. Kinda looks like the same folks.

I'm also not a big fan of the Columbia bar. I've done it a few times.

I know the fishing spots better out of Garibaldi so I usualy fish there. Plus Oregon fishes salmon all week instead of Washingtons goofey schedule. Works out better the weekend warrior.

bajadan2000

Dec 13, 2005
Vancouver, Wa.
Name
Dan
Boat
Shamrock Predator, "Bay Dreamin'"
First time I ran the Columbia bar was in 1977. Last time was early Halibut season last spring for a ping pong paddle.

Every time I cross the Columbia bar two things come to mind.
1) No one has made a fishing boat yet that is big enough to run this bar.
2) What the duck am I doing here?? I could be having more fun fishing at....(many places come to mind)

Just giving respect to those running a bar that I am not comfortable with. If your not on top of your game there, you will not be around long.. That lady can be calm enough to row a bath tub across, then turn on you in minutes and sink a cruiser... Illwaco is the port in WA. I give the most respect to.

Good to see you again Rick, welcome..

Chesapeake

Mar 18, 2008
Washougal, WA
Name
Rick
Boat
OPB
First time I ran the Columbia bar was in 1977. Last time was early Halibut season last spring for a ping pong paddle.

Every time I cross the Columbia bar two things come to mind.
1) No one has made a fishing boat yet that is big enough to run this bar.
2) What the duck am I doing here?? I could be having more fun fishing at....(many places come to mind)

Just giving respect to those running a bar that I am not comfortable with. If your not on top of your game there, you will not be around long.. That lady can be calm enough to row a bath tub across, then turn on you in minutes and sink a cruiser... Illwaco is the port in WA. I give the most respect to.

Good to see you again Rick, welcome..
Yeah nice to see you Dan. If it makes you feel better I was born in 1977.LOL

The thing I hate about the Columbia bar is the length of it. In other bars like Garibaldy you can surf the face of one wave all the way accross. Try that on the Columbia's 3 mile bar. And on the shorter bars you can see and somewhat judge the incomming set as you head out. Not so on the Columbia. And on a short bar if you get in trouble you've only got a few waves and then you could be out of it. On the Columbia you might have miles to get out of it.