Buzz2401

Boat HO
Jun 29, 2009
Shelton, Wa USA
Name
Russ
Boat
glass
Just concrete all the river beds like california and treat all water flowing into lower rivers. Gonna need a 2% sales tax increase and a income tax woot. Jay already has it written up

Siv

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
And it only kills coho
Because the coho are trying to spawn in the small urban creeks . I think this is a sad commentary on how we have fucked up the environment but my family also has 3 vehicles on the road . Can’t undo our society but I agree with Hunter Dan , you can recognize that in populated areas there is not much we can do so mitigate the problem with hatcheries .

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
May 9, 2010
North of Kali!
Name
Dave
Boat
4 and counting!
Those pesky cars!

What will the watermelons bitch about next!

Ducker!

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
I perused the actual publication and it appears they did some good research into this specific issue. Said it also kills other fish (I saw something about rainbow trout). Cause and effect science is a bitch to actually achieve, so tying together several points of correlation is fairly strong, which they did.
The compound in the tires.
How the compounded changes in the environment.
Traffic patterns around the studies waterways.
Lab mortality from what the chemical changes into in the field.
Stream mortality following rain events.

So, some various thoughts...
-Urban waterways are ecological sinks (meaning that they attract fish to die, before spawning).
-Spending millions and millions to redo culverts to get coho into urban waterways was a poor use of funds.
-Use a different chemical in tires
-Add even more mitigation to road projects to protect water quality from this chemical.
-Give up on coho trying to spawn in urban waterways.
-Fund hatcheries that are not linked to these “sink” urban waterways.
-Stop it from raining during coho spawning period.

fishing fanatic

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • May 12, 2008
    Alger, WA
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    Wow! An actual articulate and educated response. Because there is a problem any if it continues my two year old won’t see coho anywhere but in pictures

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    I don't know that watershed, but there is a program called "The Billion Oysters Project" in NYCity......building toward 1 billion oysters in NYCity cleaning millions of gallons of foul NYCity water. You recycle old oyster shells to grow the beds.
    So far more than 47 million live oysters have been restored.
    Are there native oysters or such still surviving in these rivers / estuaries that could be used to clean the water and once clean they could be happily eaten? I think you may also get a similar cleaning effect by restoring mussels.
    Maybe get in touch with CCA, Coastal Conservation Association for ideas and advice - you can link them with schools and fishing groups, etc.....Not a quick fix but a GOOD fix that can endure. You may have to use hatcheries to save the fish until people/oysters/mussels clean-up the water.
    All the best -- keep your passion!

Last edited:

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    So the question is, much like a local river that hand dwindling chinook runs and pretty much shut down a whole fishery, will this study be used to shut down Coho seasons to increase escapement.

You know they wont ban tires. And yes they will find a way to increase road use taxes for studies and such. But what else can be done for the immediate "fix" that we all know Washington is popular for.

Rellis

Boss
    Jul 3, 2011
    Ellensburg/WA/USA
    Name
    Ray Ellis
    Boat
    21' Trophy, "Cape Spencer"
    Somebody said it. It took a while to phase out leaded gasoline and eventually it was reduced in the environment. We need to start some where and maybe there is a substitute for this toxic chemical in tires.

Reactions: Tallguy

Pipe Dream

Jun 15, 2009
    University Place Washington
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    20 foot Grady-White, Pipe Dream
    I suspect things were worse back when we still had lead in our gasoline. But, back then we also had the best hatchery system into the world to mitigate things.

If you use 1970 as the end of leaded gasoline (not exact but used here) the WA population then was about 3.3 million. Now it is 7.6 million; lots more miles being driven and more roads.

What I did not notice was any information on the deterioration rate of this chemical in the environment. That is, if runoff ends up in a retention pond does the nasty stuff simply perk into the soil and ultimately groundwater/aquifers then into the rivers?

OceanSun

Captain
    Mar 26, 2013
    Snohomish WA
    Name
    Dan Meyer
    Boat
    Ocean Dancer 21' Trophy
    Read that soil filters it out which is why urban streams get the double whammy - more overall tire material and much more direct, hard-surface conduits to streams.

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
    buckley wa
    Name
    josh
    Boat
    Yes
    This topic popped up a few years ago and then just vanished. Like it was disregarded and nobody acknowledged it.

OceanSun

Captain
    Mar 26, 2013
    Snohomish WA
    Name
    Dan Meyer
    Boat
    Ocean Dancer 21' Trophy
    A couple years ago they knew early runoff was killing coho but they didn't know the specific chemical nor it's specific source. They've just now ID'd that.

I'm sure Gov Jay'll be all over it as a new source of tax $$. Which is fine as long as they actually save fish with it but that's pretty wishful thinking. Set a deadline for elimination of that chemical and make the tire companies figure it out and the tire buyers pay for the cost of driving on non-coho-killing tires -no new tax required. Perhaps they can even make a special edition with salmon on the sidewalls with a % of sales going to salmon recovery.