Killed them at Tanner

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat
Mission Belle
230 BFT, and over 50# YFT and YT mixed in. Had some decent sized bonito and a few dodos. BFT school at 240', started hitting after 7 p.m. Glow in the dark flat falls. All between 100 and 200+. I got "jackpot" with mine, using Terez 160-200 rod and a Shimano Speedmaster 25 with 100 lb braid and 80 lb flouro. Rod/reel/lure is leaning on the rail in the pic. *thanks Tackle Express in Santa Clarita for hooking me up on that entire rig. He made a couple fast runs at the boat which helped me land him in about 20 mins total. The bite was wide open. I lost one at the side of the boat. I think second gaf may have touched my braid and cut it. No worries because I got the second one (230) within an hour. The YFT was first fish of the morning on 10/23. Used a torium 20 with a teramar, running 60 lb braid and 20 lb flouro. My mistake for running such a light leader so ended up doing about 6 laps around the boat, taking line and him running several times. Had a couple decent YT but majority were kelp rats. Couple guys hooked up some dodos and I got some decent size bones that I kept. And had one broken gaf...the bamboo snapped. Pic of the hook below

IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_6363.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Damn those insulated boxes are rad! Where did you find those?

Reactions: aguachico

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat
Mission Belle
Damn those insulated boxes are rad! Where did you find those?
Sold at the dock in the shop at Seaforth. Not sure the price. My buddies took my 120 qt cooler to Colorado because they're hunting elk right now. So i was stuck with my 55, 30 and the cardboard. Honestly, once we hit the dock, I was running around getting ice and those boxes and trying to get more $$ from the ATM to tip the deckhands more. It's all a damn haze right now. I'm still finishing up vacuum sealing. yes...doing it myself, thanksfully, because processors were no where to be found when we hit the dock.

Weather was mostly cloudy entire 2 days. Voyager. Stud of a crew. Absolute studs, fishing like pros and getting it done by the book

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat
Mission Belle
What size Flat Fall?
I actually got two. The first one was on maybe 120 or slightly bigger. I honestly don't remember because when the second gaf came across, i think the pole touched my braid and it snapped and was gone. The second BFT was on a larger one. like 180-200. You can see it hanging from my rod in the BFT pic.

afraser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
That is one hell of a trip. I hope to have one half as good in a week. I do have a question, why oh why were you using 80lb fluoro leader in the dark with a flatfall? I suppose you had a decent bite leader or you were very lucky to bring those fish to the boat. I think they recommend nothing under 200# for bite leader. As for the fishing, was the bite on the drop, the retrieve, or on the switch from drop to retrieve? Inquiring minds want to know :). Just glow flatfalls or were the non-glows working as well? I saw a report that said the non-glows did better, but thought that might be a fluke.

Reactions: kevine001

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat
Mission Belle
80 was what they had on boat. I only had 50. Actually the first one that got to the boat that gaf (probably) cut my line, I was on the 80. Maybe 150 BFT. The second BFT was 230 and they tied a heavy leader to the lure. But the 80 got about a 150 to the boat.

Bite was on fast retrieve. I got hit hard twice on glow in the dark. Lost one. Landed one. I’m fairly certain everyone had glow in the dark.