I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
That was Greenpeace's "red list," which uses these criteria:

Five different criteria were used by Greenpeace to identify species in the 'red': first, the status of the fish, whether they are threatened or endangered; second, whether destructive fishing methods are used (such as bottom trawling); third, whether harvesting the fish has negative impact on non-target species through by-catch; fourth, whether fish are caught illegally by unregulated fishing operations (or "pirate fishing"); and fifth, whether the fishery involved negatively impacts on local communities which depend on fishing for their livelihoods.
If I had to make a reasonable guess, farmed fish tend to negatively impact local populations through increased disease and pollution, thus farmed fish are on the list.
About those farmed fish,the Bluefin tuna in the pens need to eat something and they aren't feeding them soy pellets.They're feeding them anything they can wrap with a net which has to be hurting something.And is it really farmed if it wasn't bred in captivity and grown ?

double_entendre

Zat is not my tuna
Aug 1, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Bob
Boat
Ho, ho, ho your boat
About those farmed fish,the Bluefin tuna in the pens need to eat something and they aren't feeding them soy pellets.They're feeding them anything they can wrap with a net which has to be hurting something.And is it really farmed if it wasn't bred in captivity and grown ?
Huh? Bluefin tuna in pens?

A quick check on Wiki says the only species of fish farmed are rainbow trout and Atlantic salmon. Of course, the latter is farmed in the Pacific. What could go wrong? Besides them feeding them antibiotics to keep them healthy and those antibiotics entering the local waters. And concentrated pollution from large numbers of fish caged in a small area.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Boy somebody's head has really been buried in the sand :shake:

Reactions: plj46

Sdchronix

Alpine Beer Fishing Team
Jul 26, 2018
San diego
Name
Anthony C.
Boat
Hooked Up Boat Club - Parker 2320

A quick check on Wiki says the only species of fish farmed are rainbow trout and Atlantic salmon. Of course, the latter is farmed in the Pacific. What could go wrong? Besides them feeding them antibiotics to keep them healthy and those antibiotics entering the local waters. And concentrated pollution from large numbers of fish caged in a small area.
Yes, there are tuna pens near the coronado islands that they use to raise smaller tuna into big ones that they sell for a premium.

double_entendre

Zat is not my tuna
Aug 1, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Bob
Boat
Ho, ho, ho your boat
Boy somebody's head has really been buried in the sand :shake:
"Lessee. I can mock someone's ignorance or educate them. I'll go with mock." --mullet

Ignorance is curable. Stupidity isn't.

Yes, there are tuna pens near the coronado islands that they use to raise smaller tuna into big ones that they sell for a premium.
Interesting. Hadn't heard of it.

Wonder how sustainable that is in the long run. "...ranches feed their tuna about 15 pounds of fish such as sardines or mackerel for each additional pound of tuna that can be sold to consumers."

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"

hmm-not-sure-if-srs-or-troll.jpg

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I don't debate with kooks they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

double_entendre

Zat is not my tuna
Aug 1, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Bob
Boat
Ho, ho, ho your boat
I don't debate with kooks they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ;) I can't defend my beliefs, I just regurgitate what Fox News and unsourced right wing anti-science, anti-logic, anti-rationality blogs tell me.
Fixed that for ya.

Hope you don't have kids or that you're old enough that you'll be dead when all the shit we're doing to the ecosystem really comes home to roost and you don't have to explain to your progeny ignoring vast rafts of science in favor of your feels.

Reactions: sickcat

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Jesus,i mention Bluefin Tuna pens and look what i started.

mindbent

Feb 26, 2015
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat
one that floats
If I'm not mistaken about 2yrs ago there were actually guys taking there 5-10# Yellowtail to the processor. The processors wouldn't even touch them and made it publicly known. If I remember correctly.

Reactions: sickcat

Sdchronix

Alpine Beer Fishing Team
Jul 26, 2018
San diego
Name
Anthony C.
Boat
Hooked Up Boat Club - Parker 2320
If I'm not mistaken about 2yrs ago there were actually guys taking there 5-10# Yellowtail to the processor. The processors wouldn't even touch them and made it publicly known. If I remember correctly.
we dropped seven 8-17lbers off at the processors the other day. That weight was after being gilled and bled.

They do state that any fish under 10lbs will be charged a premium. Anything that looks under 8 or 9 I usually dont keep. A 5lb I would definitely be throwing back every time

Last edited:

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Name five species of fish more populous today than fifty years ago. Go for it.
In my little corner of the planet?

BFT and Wahoo are two!

I get your point. Many factors go into the the problem. Since I can do little about overpopulation except die I like to see better more sustainable regulation and much more enforcement of same.

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
The yellowtail and large Bonito fishing is as good as when I was 8 years old. The local Yellowfin and Dorado fishing is as good as it has ever been in my life. If we could keep the net boats off the bait for five years the local banks would flip out.

Fishmeluck

Fishing = Self-Medication
Feb 28, 2007
Long Beach
Name
Paul
Boat
Boat free, since July 2014.
Mullet, "I don't debate with kooks they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)"
double entendre, "I can't defend my beliefs, I just regurgitate what Fox News and unsourced right wing anti-science, anti-logic, anti-rationality blogs tell me.

Fixed that for ya."

Hope you don't have kids or that you're old enough that you'll be dead when all the shit we're doing to the ecosystem really comes home to roost and you don't have to explain to your progeny ignoring vast rafts of science in favor of your feels.
I think you just proved Mullet's point.

Last edited:

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
In my little corner of the planet?

BFT and Wahoo are two!

I get your point. Many factors go into the the problem. Since I can do little about overpopulation except die I like to see better more sustainable regulation and much more enforcement of same.
Negative on both of those two.There aren't more of them,there are more people targeting them.