Kill em' all big and small

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Professionull1, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Professionull1

Professionull1 Preservation

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Barfy
    Is this what all sport fishing out of landings is about?

Am willing to take the heat...

Just think it's sad that nobody cares about the future. I'm not talking about a few months from now, I'm talking about a few seasons such as, what happened to the awesome albacore bite.

Conservation isn't about tree or ocean huggers, it's about continuous line peeling trips.

rodngun762 likes this.
  2. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    Don't blame albacore bite on sports fishing. The fish just migrated north. People in Washington/Oregon has been getting very good bites for years. There is even a show called "Battlefish" on the albacore bite. It is probably due to the water temperature since its colder up north and warmer down south.

I don't see people in Southern California complain about the bluefins that has stayed around for the past few years. Prior to the El Nino, having such a hot bluefin bite in local waters was not common. The waves of yellowtail coming up from down south each year has been awesome.

If you have been around long enough, you will see these fishing cycles. The pelagic red crab "invasion" has created a new source of food for local fisheries. The local fish has been gorging on them. The rock fish population has exploded and the fish counts reflect that change. If you look further back, the anchovy and sardine population has also changed. All these changes in bait stock has a much larger affect on fishing counts than sports fishing. The pelagic fish basically follows the food. There are lot of factors that affect the baitfish population and it usually starts with the food cycle. Nutrients come from the deep parts of the ocean, krill and other plankton feeds on these nutrients. The bait fish feeds on the krill/plankton and larger fish feeds on these bait fish.

Nobody really knows the real reason for these cycles so STFU and just go fishing. If you want to blame something, just blame it on the BS term, "climate change". You know why? Because F-ing climate always change. It was hot as hell yesterday and today its cloudy. Its due to climate change.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  3. stripermaster

stripermaster Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Parker 2520
    ShadowX
    Well said you made my day !

ShadowX and CartridgeCalls like this.
  4. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
  5. tommyc

tommyc Hacker

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Beatem N' Eatem
    Alex (OP Alex), are you reacting to some specific behavior that you have witnessed or thinking about the condition of the fishery in general? As Alex (Los Angeles) says, the fishery is in good shape, just always changing. Ali (BD Founder) keeps saying that, "these are the good old days", with respect to the seasons that we have had in recent years. On the other hand I have witnessed behavior on sportboats that I wish I could change on occasion, (too quick to gaff DoDo's under 10 lbs and yellowtail and yellowfin under 7 lbs), but I also realize that it is incredibly difficult to practice catch and release on a crowded boat sometimes. Always try to be ethical is the way I try to roll and I hope that you do too.

6. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes
    You’re right, sport fishing boats kill way more fish than commercial boats. Record setting big bluefin bite, bitching about albacore?

8CD74425-74DD-4C14-872A-523586A065A6.jpeg

7. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    The killer in me is the killer in you

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  8. Can't Parker

Can't Parker Me

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    2530 Parker
    Sorry in advance, its hard to type while eating sustainable farm raised manatee steaks :confused:
    My 2 cents..Professional & Shad ex, you both make great points. Agreed, conservation & management is key. Agreed, sportsman play a part with adherence to data driven and well thought out game laws, or optionally taking less. We've seen that with Calico's. The other point I would make is the commercial management. Pacific BFT? only a small improvement to only 3.3% of un-fished levels.. See links if they work..a couple of good reads, draw your own conclusion. Mine is, much more needs to be done.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/resear...ock-remains-highly-depleted-new-science-shows

http://isc.fra.go.jp/pdf/ISC18/ISC_18_ANNEX_14_Pacific_Bluefin_Tuna_Stock_Assessment_2018_FINAL.pdf

Can't Parker

9. rustman

rustman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rusty
    Boat:
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    The poster clearly lacks the understanding of the ocean ecosystem and how global currents affect specific species of pelagic fish. He is young and has not witnessed these cycles like I have at the ripe age of 62 which would provide a better perspective, not his fault. Yes he could actually crack a book and do some research as to why some species come and go, but most of the younger generation today just listens to the crap being spewed by the media and universities to support a bigger agenda.

One thing I do agree with him on is taking of small fish. 5 lb yellowtail, 8 lb tuna, 5 lb dodo’s. I just won’t do it, but I will also not criticize someone complying with the rules.

10. Hergi

Hergi Newbie

Name:
    Ginny
    Boat:
    none
    Only thing I will add is that I agree with movement of albacore, local abundance of bft last few years, sardines anchovies etc. But what has happened to the blue shark population is just sad. 30 years ago you could see hundreds of fins on the surface in a single trip on a glass day to Catalina. These days most shark diving operations have quit because of too many zeros after soaking 200 pounds of mackerel for 6 hours. yes, you can get a mako or 2 pretty easily right now...but blues used to outnumber them 100 to 1.

11. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Sport boats make a living by carrying passengers.The average angler(fish 2-3 times a year)look at fish counts at landings and boats and react to them.The counts just show YT,YFT BFT etc.They dont show that they are 5 lb YT of YFT so it is the fish counts that COUNT.Kill them all big or small.Just the way it is.Tom

rick Jackson likes this.
  12. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Did somebody really claim that the rockfish population has exploded ? on what planet ?

13. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
  14. Pescador Paul

Pescador Paul Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
    It is unlikely that sport fishing has a significant impact on offshore species, but I do agree with the OP in that I feel the SoCal sport anglers kill too many fish. Do we really need to keep yellowtail under 10 pounds? Do we really need to keep a five fish limit? I think not.

JMHO

Paul

15. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Add up sportfishing take for a whole year.Just the sportboat fleet.It has a significant impact.Dead fish don't reproduce.

ColdEye and Mark49 like this.
  16. DrewA

DrewA Newbie

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    Swirl 18.51
    Fishery management is the only reason we can catch big halibut or big calicos, even caught a black sea bass a couple years ago. I believe in management.
    I do think the bag limit for YFT and YT needs to come down to 5 and the seiners that clean out our local YFT need to be limited.

17. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    I think they're on the planet Uranus, lol!

18. mexivet

mexivet Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    18' SeaChaser RG
    Private and Sportfishing do very little to wipe out fish counts. Look to the commercial seiners that wrap up everything.

19. Migolito

Migolito Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    None
    Ok, time for a 'good ole days' post. In the good ole days when I was just a nubbin, I rememeber the San Diego Tuna Fleet. Hundreds of commercial fishing boats with rolled nets on the stern. These boats were 100'-200' long and some had small helicopters on the deck. They measured catches in hundreds of metric tons. Here's a WAG, any single one of those boats netted more Tuna in a single trip than the entire Sport and private boat fleet does in a year. The sport boat fleet is well under sustainable right now.

20. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    Thank you for this, This is the truth of it all.

Rude Baits, Hippie, Shon and 3 others like this.