Professionull1

Preservation
Jun 17, 2019
San Diego
Name
Alex
Boat
Barfy
Is this what all sport fishing out of landings is about?

Am willing to take the heat...

Just think it's sad that nobody cares about the future. I'm not talking about a few months from now, I'm talking about a few seasons such as, what happened to the awesome albacore bite.

Conservation isn't about tree or ocean huggers, it's about continuous line peeling trips.

Reactions: rodngun762

ShadowX

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Don't blame albacore bite on sports fishing. The fish just migrated north. People in Washington/Oregon has been getting very good bites for years. There is even a show called "Battlefish" on the albacore bite. It is probably due to the water temperature since its colder up north and warmer down south.

I don't see people in Southern California complain about the bluefins that has stayed around for the past few years. Prior to the El Nino, having such a hot bluefin bite in local waters was not common. The waves of yellowtail coming up from down south each year has been awesome.

If you have been around long enough, you will see these fishing cycles. The pelagic red crab "invasion" has created a new source of food for local fisheries. The local fish has been gorging on them. The rock fish population has exploded and the fish counts reflect that change. If you look further back, the anchovy and sardine population has also changed. All these changes in bait stock has a much larger affect on fishing counts than sports fishing. The pelagic fish basically follows the food. There are lot of factors that affect the baitfish population and it usually starts with the food cycle. Nutrients come from the deep parts of the ocean, krill and other plankton feeds on these nutrients. The bait fish feeds on the krill/plankton and larger fish feeds on these bait fish.

Nobody really knows the real reason for these cycles so STFU and just go fishing. If you want to blame something, just blame it on the BS term, "climate change". You know why? Because F-ing climate always change. It was hot as hell yesterday and today its cloudy. Its due to climate change.

Last edited:

tommyc

Hacker
Jul 30, 2011
Livermore, CA
Name
Tom
Boat
Beatem N' Eatem
Alex (OP Alex), are you reacting to some specific behavior that you have witnessed or thinking about the condition of the fishery in general? As Alex (Los Angeles) says, the fishery is in good shape, just always changing. Ali (BD Founder) keeps saying that, "these are the good old days", with respect to the seasons that we have had in recent years. On the other hand I have witnessed behavior on sportboats that I wish I could change on occasion, (too quick to gaff DoDo's under 10 lbs and yellowtail and yellowfin under 7 lbs), but I also realize that it is incredibly difficult to practice catch and release on a crowded boat sometimes. Always try to be ethical is the way I try to roll and I hope that you do too.

Apr 22, 2004
Point Loma
Name
Doug
Boat
2530 Parker
Sorry in advance, its hard to type while eating sustainable farm raised manatee steaks :confused:
My 2 cents..Professional & Shad ex, you both make great points. Agreed, conservation & management is key. Agreed, sportsman play a part with adherence to data driven and well thought out game laws, or optionally taking less. We've seen that with Calico's. The other point I would make is the commercial management. Pacific BFT? only a small improvement to only 3.3% of un-fished levels.. See links if they work..a couple of good reads, draw your own conclusion. Mine is, much more needs to be done.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/resear...ock-remains-highly-depleted-new-science-shows

http://isc.fra.go.jp/pdf/ISC18/ISC_18_ANNEX_14_Pacific_Bluefin_Tuna_Stock_Assessment_2018_FINAL.pdf

Can't Parker

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
The poster clearly lacks the understanding of the ocean ecosystem and how global currents affect specific species of pelagic fish. He is young and has not witnessed these cycles like I have at the ripe age of 62 which would provide a better perspective, not his fault. Yes he could actually crack a book and do some research as to why some species come and go, but most of the younger generation today just listens to the crap being spewed by the media and universities to support a bigger agenda.

One thing I do agree with him on is taking of small fish. 5 lb yellowtail, 8 lb tuna, 5 lb dodo’s. I just won’t do it, but I will also not criticize someone complying with the rules.

Hergi

May 9, 2013
Poway, California
Name
Ginny
Boat
none
Only thing I will add is that I agree with movement of albacore, local abundance of bft last few years, sardines anchovies etc. But what has happened to the blue shark population is just sad. 30 years ago you could see hundreds of fins on the surface in a single trip on a glass day to Catalina. These days most shark diving operations have quit because of too many zeros after soaking 200 pounds of mackerel for 6 hours. yes, you can get a mako or 2 pretty easily right now...but blues used to outnumber them 100 to 1.

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Sport boats make a living by carrying passengers.The average angler(fish 2-3 times a year)look at fish counts at landings and boats and react to them.The counts just show YT,YFT BFT etc.They dont show that they are 5 lb YT of YFT so it is the fish counts that COUNT.Kill them all big or small.Just the way it is.Tom

Reactions: rick Jackson

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats

Pescador Paul

Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
It is unlikely that sport fishing has a significant impact on offshore species, but I do agree with the OP in that I feel the SoCal sport anglers kill too many fish. Do we really need to keep yellowtail under 10 pounds? Do we really need to keep a five fish limit? I think not.

JMHO

Paul

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
It is unlikely that sport fishing has a significant impact on offshore species, but I do agree with the OP in that I feel the SoCal sport anglers kill too many fish. Do we really need to keep yellowtail under 10 pounds? Do we really need to keep a five fish limit? I think not.

JMHO

Paul
Add up sportfishing take for a whole year.Just the sportboat fleet.It has a significant impact.Dead fish don't reproduce.

Reactions: ColdEye and Mark49

DrewA

Jul 6, 2016
San Diego
Name
Drew
Boat
Swirl 18.51
Fishery management is the only reason we can catch big halibut or big calicos, even caught a black sea bass a couple years ago. I believe in management.
I do think the bag limit for YFT and YT needs to come down to 5 and the seiners that clean out our local YFT need to be limited.

Migolito

Apr 25, 2019
SCal
Name
Mike
Boat
None
Ok, time for a 'good ole days' post. In the good ole days when I was just a nubbin, I rememeber the San Diego Tuna Fleet. Hundreds of commercial fishing boats with rolled nets on the stern. These boats were 100'-200' long and some had small helicopters on the deck. They measured catches in hundreds of metric tons. Here's a WAG, any single one of those boats netted more Tuna in a single trip than the entire Sport and private boat fleet does in a year. The sport boat fleet is well under sustainable right now.

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
My motto is, Keep what you can eat, not what you can catch.
Everyone should adopt your motto. The ocean would be in even better shape; it starts with you. Can't control what everyone else does.

I haven't froze any fish for at lease 15 years. I've processed some extra in canning and smoking only. Great eatables for the future.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

OnoEric

Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
Only thing I will add is that I agree with movement of albacore, local abundance of bft last few years, sardines anchovies etc. But what has happened to the blue shark population is just sad. 30 years ago you could see hundreds of fins on the surface in a single trip on a glass day to Catalina. These days most shark diving operations have quit because of too many zeros after soaking 200 pounds of mackerel for 6 hours. yes, you can get a mako or 2 pretty easily right now...but blues used to outnumber them 100 to 1.
One of my favorite days ever was in August 1992 we were in a wide open YFT bite all by ourselves out of Ensenada with 8 blue sharks all about 7-8 feet long hanging out under the boat waiting for a free meal. We lost a bunch of fish to the sharks, but we would usually get the front half of the fish back and use those to toss and distract the sharks while we quickly gaffed fresh fish.

It was non-stop, no need to pin on a bait, the tuna would eat bare hook type fishing until we couldn’t lift our arms anymore, and we never saw another boat all day. I’ve probably not seen more than 8 blue sharks total in the last 20 years.

Reactions: ColdEye

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
They was slamming albacore 40-50 a boat up north in bodega bay last fall. My boat wasnt ready but you can go to the reports on here for northern ca and see them. I also know a few that was there getting them. It's a hot and miss.