PENN

soskunked

Jul 11, 2007
Fullerton, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
1979 42' Uniflite Sportfisher
Late on this but fished 10/17 out of LB. Got huge healthy dines at Nacho's at 6am and headed to the 150. Plan was to troll the 150 for wahoo, make a left and head for the rigs for more trolling. Had my brother, my son and a couple others newbies on board. No one there other than my son has ever caught anything besides a sand bass or trout. So, when we were at he rigs the sonar lit up with a big school of something under us. I figured skipjack and I was right. Told my brother "throw some bait over!" He's like what? why? Just do it and start fishing. WO for an hour and a half until we chose to stop. Hate leaving them biting but I had wahoo on the mind. Well, never got the wahoo but threw a bunch skippies over the rail...well, they did...all I did was bleed, gaff and help with tangles. Got so busy I didn't even get ice on them right way...oops! I didn't get to fish but they were high five-ing and smiling so I was good with that. I cut one open to show them how to clean them and were like WTH! So dark! Showed them the most important part, removing the bloodline, and told them they taste better than they look. Personally, I can them in a pressure cooker (YUM!) Water was clear and warm (73.3)...a fun day all in all. Back at the dock by 2:00 because my wife got foo fighters tickets for that night and threatened to kill me if I was late.

skippy1.JPG

Upvote 0

HUSKEY BAY

Almost A Member
Mar 6, 2015
Dana Point
Name
ken
Boat
HUSKEY BAY
Late on this but fished 10/17 out of LB. Got huge healthy dines at Nacho's at 6am and headed to the 150. Plan was to troll the 150 for wahoo, make a left and head for the rigs for more trolling. Had my brother, my son and a couple others newbies on board. No one there other than my son has ever caught anything besides a sand bass or trout. So, when we were at he rigs the sonar lit up with a big school of something under us. I figured skipjack and I was right. Told my brother "throw some bait over!" He's like what? why? Just do it and start fishing. WO for an hour and a half until we chose to stop. Hate leaving them biting but I had wahoo on the mind. Well, never got the wahoo but threw a bunch skippies over the rail...well, they did...all I did was bleed, gaff and help with tangles. Got so busy I didn't even get ice on them right way...oops! I didn't get to fish but they were high five-ing and smiling so I was good with that. I cut one open to show them how to clean them and were like WTH! So dark! Showed them the most important part, removing the bloodline, and told them they taste better than they look. Personally, I can them in a pressure cooker (YUM!) Water was clear and warm (73.3)...a fun day all in all. Back at the dock by 2:00 because my wife got foo fighters tickets for that night and threatened to kill me if I was late.

View attachment 631730
Fun time...especially watching newbies hook up for the first time! Thanks for the report . Be safe

Upvote 0

Cole_cos20

Master Baiter
Nov 19, 2014
Dana Point to Point Loma
Name
Cole
Boat
21' Shamrock "Reel Happy"
Those are actually black skipjack (notice the black spots on belly near collar), an "el nino" species that's not normally here. Meat is extremely dark red no matter what, but bled and iced they taste great!

Upvote 0

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
So, just 1" cubes and water or oil for canning? How's it taste as tuna salad or tuna and crackers out of the jarm

Upvote 0

Cole_cos20

Master Baiter
Nov 19, 2014
Dana Point to Point Loma
Name
Cole
Boat
21' Shamrock "Reel Happy"
So, just 1" cubes and water or oil for canning? How's it taste as tuna salad or tuna and crackers out of the jarm
basically, spices can be added to taste if youd like. It's really good. It gets a bad rap as a trash fish from people who leave it in the sun all day. News flash ANY FISH NOT BLED AND LEFT IN THE SUN WILL TASTE FISHIER THAN NORMAL!!! Kill quickly, bleed, gill and gut, brine, and its as good as Bluefin, no doubt

Reactions: Second Row
Upvote 0

b-reel

Nov 20, 2011
Downey
Name
HP
Boat
none yet
Good observation. Didn't even know there was another skippy around. Are these the ones they catch in Hawaii?

Upvote 0

lamnidae

Aug 25, 2008
Escondido
Name
Chris
Boat
anything I can fish from
The stripes are a bit different than the other Skipjack. Just another species to add to the El Nino list this season.

Upvote 0

errock_22

It wont happen if you don’t go
Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
F/V El Tiburon - 25’ Custom Anderson
Stripes are opposite than the other skipjack and they have the black belly spots. These are the black skipjack, I've heard them called bonito in the East Cape.

Reactions: Cole_cos20
Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Reactions: Cole_cos20
Upvote 0

soskunked

Jul 11, 2007
Fullerton, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
1979 42' Uniflite Sportfisher
Actually, you're supposed to let it sit a couple weeks to let the taste develop after canning, so I've heard. I couldn't wait so I tried it yesterday. It was delicious! I cut it into chunks and added salt, garlic and the secret weapon my buddy taught me...pickled jalapeño. I used water not oil. Black Skipjack seemed oily enough already. Survival food! Try it!

Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
Mar 3, 2008
Aztlan
Name
Mandoman
Boat
Kathleen

View attachment 631730
Awesome. I saw the Foos that night tooo. What a show!!

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Good job guys, as far as eating, never could like the taste, no matter how I cooked them?

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Where there are skippies, there are typically other pelagics (Tuna, Wahoo, Marlin). Thanks for the report!

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Good job guys, as far as eating, never could like the taste, no matter how I cooked them?
Cory over the years, when skip jack were around on the trips I been out on
we were catching plenty of Y T and Y F T, so we always released the skip pies
to each their own

Upvote 0

jscott

Jan 29, 2008
Porter Ranch
Name
Scott
Boat
Four Winns 20' Horizon
with the meat so dark---I found it hard to truly identify the bloodline actually. Once cooked-- it is easy to see where you missed it. Do you have any tricks to remove the bloodline in general?

Upvote 0

hotrod

El Capitan
Mar 23, 2003
Escondido, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Grady White Seafarer ("GalaxSea")
The stripes are a bit different than the other Skipjack. Just another species to add to the El Nino list this season.
Yes, and decent size.

Great observation. I would not have even noticed.
We caught em last Sat Kurt. Nick and I kept saying what are these, they look like cross between a skippie and a bonita. I looked it up Monday morning and saw there are called black skipjack tuna. See my inshore post from Sat

with the meat so dark---I found it hard to truly identify the bloodline actually. Once cooked-- it is easy to see where you missed it. Do you have any tricks to remove the bloodline in general?
Agreed. Try doing it at night with a weird night florescent light. LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0