Kill bag zipper replace/repair?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by tunakillerjoe1, Feb 1, 2019.

1. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    Both zipper pulls broke on my pelagic kill bag. Anyone know a place in San Diego who can do this fix? Anyone has a zipper replaced?

Secutor54 likes this.
  2. Secutor54

Secutor54 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    AP
    Boat:
    73 Boston Whaler 16'7
    Have you tried contacting Pelagic? I would think that they would replace it, depending how old that bag is. Heard their customer service is pretty good...

3. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    what I Did when I had A problem with A Zipper on my tackle Bag,
    I Googled Shoe repair places in my Area,
    and found one, because they have Heavy duty
    Machines, to handle it ,

Cubeye likes this.
  4. Cheech

Cheech Member

Name:
    Jeff Cheechov
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
    Maybe a marine canvas guy or a local sail loft. Pricey though. If the zipper is good and its just the pulls missing, you can loop some heavy mono (100-200#) or some skinny cord through the pulls and make zipper pull loops. Its a pretty standard fix in the offshore sailing community.

5. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    bob Malone canvas buy the Coronado bridge......at the time pelagic sold me my first kill bag, I was told it came with a "lifetime" warranty. I had them replace the first one , when the plastic zipper blew out{ due to the poor "envelope design, not a pleated bottom}. the second one they gave me, to replace the first, had the webbing start to disintegrate , and I brought it up them in costa mesa. I was told they no longer make them, and for me to produce a receipt for how much it cost, no receipt , no replacement , lol. they ended up giving me a bunch of stupid decals to promote a company that won't honor they're warranty. save your money and buy a reliable kill bag. we have one on the radovcich, way better than the pelagic.

kawakawa and Secutor54 like this.
  6. monkutare

monkutare Newbie

Boat:
    blackman billfisher 26
    Did the same as the guy above putting cord in the zipper pulls first. Then when that fix failed, went to an upholstery shop I always used for marine and auto repairs, in Temecula. Most shops can probably put a new zipper on. Paid $40 about 4 yrs ago

7. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    Thanks for the intel-I heard about a shoe repair place, big Bob's in Clairemont that may be able to do it.

jer dog likes this.
  8. bajaandy

bajaandy Condition One

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
    Depends on what part broke. On my Pelagic Kill bag, the little pull tabs that connect to the zipper slider broke off, but the actual part that weaves the two halves together was just fine. My fix was to use a split ring through the slider body and attach bright colored webbing to the split ring. Worked like a charm. The webbing is way easier to grasp and the color is bright so you can always see where the zipper is. It's actually easier to work the zipper because the webbing gives you a better grip.
    On edit: Never mind. Next time I'll read the whole thread.
    By the way, you can get a zipper repair kit online or at a sewing supply place if the whole thing is shot. It's just the slider body and the pull that usually needs to be replaced. They're pretty easy to install.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  9. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    Could not find a zipper pull large enough. #10 was too small. Bob's did not have zippers that large either, so I am having Velcro installed. Thanks for the thought-

Cubeye likes this.
  10. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    Pelagic quit making these 6 years ago, and could not tell me where they got the zippers from. No help-

11. ReBait1

ReBait1 Newbie

Name:
    Dave b
    Boat:
    ReBait
    I worry about the same. I've learned to treat my zipper with petroleum jelly like he'll two or three times a year.

Cubeye likes this.
  12. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    It also works for tackle bags. I use light oil or wax. I've read about some guys blaming the manufacturer of the bag for using "cheap" zippers, and come to find out that they had never cleaned their tackle bag. Salt can do a lot of damage.

ReBait1 likes this.
  13. SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    I know this is not the topic of the thread, but I want to share a tip to keep zippers moving smooth. I'm sure many of you know this or other good ways.

Rub an old candle on the zipper (inside and out) and it will help keep water out and provides a long lasting lube.

:jig:

ReBait1 and Cubeye like this.