Jonnybravo

Almost A Member
Jul 1, 2011
San Jose, CA, USA
Name
Jon
Boat
shortbus
Anybody have comments or reviews on the kill bags they've used? Do they leak? How well do they insulate?

I'm looking at the Reliable bags and Canyon Bags right now.

Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
Reliable is the bomb and comes highly recommended. They insulate well, have an easy drain hole and come in enough sizes to match nearly every anglers needs.

Reactions: Second Row
Upvote 0

nolimits

Apr 5, 2011
Dana Point
Name
No Limits
Boat
Parker 2320sl
I use a couple of Reliable bags for about 3 years now. One of my better investments to keep our catch fresh. Well insulated and extremely well made - very strong. It's not 100% leak proof, there will be some tiny drips along the corner seams but that's just a minor drawback. Been very happy with Reliable. Kinda pricey but well worth it. Can't comment on Canyon since I've never seen one.

Upvote 0

mogambosquid

Oct 31, 2004
Carpinteria, CA, Chiriqui, Panama
Name
Greg
Boat
22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
I've got a Canyon bag and it's held up well for 8 years, the corners do drip a bit, but its no big deal. It doesn't have a flat bottom though so the capacity is limited on bigger fish. I've also got a flat bottomed bag made by Da Kine. It has been bulletproof for 10 years, holds tonnage, and has thicker insulation than the Canyon. I'm not sure if Da Kine still makes them but they are worth looking for.

Reactions: Jonnybravo
Upvote 0

Blown383

Jul 18, 2014
Los Angeles
Name
Binhtri
Boat
HMS Krusty
Interested in the reviews of the kill bag also! Drips are not an option since the wife would kill me if we got funky smelling fish juice in the car.

-B

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
From Reliable's website: "One thing, the bags are sewn/stiched, so there could be some leakage from the corners".

My Reliable bag came with a suggestion of using 5200 to seal the inside seams.

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    All of the bags I've used have leaked. Reliable being the best with the pleated seam on the bottom to make the bag wider. Get the size bigger than you think you need. The small ones don't hold a ton of fish once you add ice.
    By far the Pelagic bags were the worst, don't buy one! Zippers blow out and the webbing tears.

Reactions: Bottom Line and PCH
    Upvote 0

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
    Aug 8, 2008
    Newport
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
    Reliable... 4x

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Interested in the reviews of the kill bag also! Drips are not an option since the wife would kill me if we got funky smelling fish juice in the car.

-B
    That's a tough call there . Sounds like you need a hard cooler for your catch.

Reliable kill bags are the way I go also!!! I have a 6 ft one. Leaking isn't an issue I keep it on the swim deck. I freeze milk jugs with water and the bag stays cold for 2 days easy with a little salt water slurry.

Reactions: c-goat and Blown383
    Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
    Feb 12, 2010
    Chula Vista
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    '99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
    All of the bags I've used have leaked. Reliable being the best with the pleated seam on the bottom to make the bag wider. Get the size bigger than you think you need. The small ones don't hold a ton of fish once you add ice.
    By far the Pelagic bags were the worst, don't buy one! Zippers blow out and the webbing tears.
    Because of the name, I am a hardcore PELAGIC fan. I have noticed all of their products ,have lower quality, every year.
    Too bad, it's getting to the point I stop buying anything from them.

Reactions: marlineer84
    Upvote 0

Blown383

Jul 18, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Binhtri
    Boat
    HMS Krusty
    I have a FJ also and with the seats folded down you can fit almost anything in the back including the largest of kill bags stacked on top of each other.

-B

What size are you guys buying? Wanna make sure I'm not getting something too small and at the same time too big it won't fit in my FJ.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    I bought my reliable kill bag from a guy here on BD about 10 years ago.Im not sure if he was the owner just starting out but I got a good deal on it.Still use it to this day.Last year the zipper started to come undone at the seam.I took it to a local car upholstery place and got it sewed back up,i also had the guy add another handle to the other side.For some reason it only had the handle on one side.
    Cant go wrong with reliable.

Reactions: Whalebreath
    Upvote 0

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
    Jul 1, 2005
    Tustin
    Name
    Kris
    Boat
    Mike's
    Mine leak. I line my sequoia with some painter's plastic and it's good to go.

Upvote 0

yknot

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2007
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Grady
    Boat
    None
    Unless you are driving for some distance, for those of you that have issues with it leaking in your vehicle, why can't you let the water out before loading it into the vehicle, leaving just whatever ice/jugs are left and the fish? Wouldn't that be plenty to get your catch home still cold? I have no idea, just a suggestion as that's what I do with ice chests so that the water isn't sloshing around while driving.

Upvote 0