Kill Bag Rack Retrofit

ROCK FISH

Jun 25, 2008
Milf Street,Wa
Name
Ron
Boat
Parker 2320
This setup works for me. I will pick my days and have the rack strapped to the bait tank. I am no rookie at operating a boat or fishing for that Matter! First tuna caught in 06!
image.jpeg

Reactions: Stair Guy
Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    This setup works for me. I will pick my days and have the rack strapped to the bait tank. I am no rookie at operating a boat or fishing for that Matter! First tuna caught in 06!View attachment 630101

Ron, it has nothing to do with being a rookie. I don't think people were suggesting you are or insulting your abilities as a captain. I caught my first tuna in 2000, been fishing the ocean for about 20 years now... Yet I still ended up in trapped in the cabin of my boat upside down.... Many experienced captains can have nature get the upper hand.

The 30' Stamas that went down when the tote shifted was an experienced commercial fisherman, not a rookie.... His tote had never shifted before until that one fine day... It only takes once.

If your bait tank is typical it has some screws and brackets at the bottom that may not fair to well when 1000 lbs yanks on it real hard.

Regardless, I like the improvement you have made, I may even make one for my boat, but I will strap mine when I am moving..

Upvote 0

Hannibal

Hold my rod?
    Mar 13, 2012
    Puyallup
    Name
    Kellen
    Boat
    Carolina Classic 25 Tail Hooker
    How many Tuna does this thing hold? Where do you keep your extra ice, in another bag or just in the bottom of the those two bags?

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    could you use the boeing style cargo holds that are almost flush when not in use.
    get a couple of stainless steel turnbuckles to tighten and hold in place.. just a thought that is how I secured a cooler on my old boat.

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Dennis Kirk the motorcycle supply on line has the tie downs and the clips.

Upvote 0

Red4

Almost A Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Covington WA USA
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    SOLD
    badass, I have been trying to get my bud to build me one based off this since you posted it a ways back. What size are you kill bags? I want something that will fit 30x60 bags

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Hijack: What r these tie downs or clips?

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Hijack: What r these tie downs or clips?
    They are generally swinging, flush mount tie down points that you attach ratchet straps to. When not in use, they fall back into the metal housing and are flush. I had some on my old boat for a cooler and they are awesome. Way overkill when through bolted with a backing plate and 5200. Could have lifted the boat by them.

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Last edited:
    Reactions: No Bail and LJB
    Upvote 0

LJB

Down Fur-Lined Avenue
    Jan 18, 2013
    Tacoma
    Name
    ain't no cunthead
    Boat
    68 Bellboy
    Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

FINATIC 21

MAD SALMON
    Jul 20, 2010
    Oly, WA
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    27 Raydanie Pilothouse
    https://www.denniskirk.com/ancra/tie-down-anchor-40890-10.p4039.prd/4039.sku

Little pucks get screwed down to the deck. They are rounded over. The clip is spring loaded to lock. Cargo Aircraft use the hell out of them.

a17298f55efb32c8596fc3eb40077799.jpg

Here is the image from the link. Rated for a ton of pull. Your clorox bottle floor might break first[emoji87]

That Cadnium plating would go to chit fast though John with the direct salt exposure .. We use some all stainless ones In the 60-M floors that would be better suited , I'll see where they could be sourced from , but they aren't gunna be 14 bucks, I can tell ya that ....

Upvote 0

Ugly Bayliner

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 18, 2008
    Olympia, Wa USA
    Name
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    How many Tuna does this thing hold? Where do you keep your extra ice, in another bag or just in the bottom of the those two bags?

No extra ice required, generally we fill the bags 1/2-3/4 full and fill the transom box with ice to slurry once on the grounds. If we manage our ice right, depending on fish size 10-15 can fit in each bag, usually 12-14, on average. A 5 gallon bucket removes 1/2 the ice from one bag into the other when fish start to get packed in then ice is layered in as we go. Usually the last 8-10 fish ride home in the slurry. This method is nice in that no extra ice chest is needed on the deck, although we like to have a couple big Costco ice chests in the back of the truck we fill when we ice up for the trip home.

For a boat with no fish hold, it's a pretty good solution. I love the deck hold downs, that would be a real slick way to hold stuff down!

Upvote 0

LJB

Down Fur-Lined Avenue
    Jan 18, 2013
    Tacoma
    Name
    ain't no cunthead
    Boat
    68 Bellboy
    No extra ice required, generally we fill the bags 1/2-3/4 full and fill the transom box with ice to slurry once on the grounds. If we manage our ice right, depending on fish size 10-15 can fit in each bag, usually 12-14, on average. A 5 gallon bucket removes 1/2 the ice from one bag into the other when fish start to get packed in then ice is layered in as we go. Usually the last 8-10 fish ride home in the slurry. This method is nice in that no extra ice chest is needed on the deck, although we like to have a couple big Costco ice chests in the back of the truck we fill when we ice up for the trip home.

For a boat with no fish hold, it's a pretty good solution. I love the deck hold downs, that would be a real slick way to hold stuff down!

Have to admit this unit has grown on me since first being posted, Apologize for having a bad opinion when the thread started..

Upvote 0

Latest posts