PENN

ryan27

Jan 6, 2012
costa mesa ca
Name
ryan
Boat
Malia Jean
Went out of newport sunday at 11:30 2 miles off the harbor birds crashing turned into wide open bluefin for 3 hrs solid. Great Day on the water with 4 kids lol. Watch Video at bottom.

IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4775.jpg

IMG_4783.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4778.mov
    6.3 MB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Upvote 0

dopp

Almost A Member
Jun 8, 2011
HB, CA
Name
dopp
Boat
Skipjack
Were you in front of Crystal Cove area just south of the harbor? It was insane on Sunday. How much did those suckers weigh?

Upvote 0

dannykl1957

Nov 20, 2011
woodland hills,ca
Name
daniel klein
Boat
none
UnFrickenReal!!!!!!!! Someone is going to catch a bft from a jet ski or surfboard. Wide open two miles from the mouth of the harbor.

Makes me wonder if we are going to have hammerheads close to shore all summer long.

Almost forgot- Way to go for the kids.You've just addicted them for life.

Upvote 0

cell128

Jun 15, 2014
Name
jaime
Boat
Hobie kayak
We were there on kayaks exactly 2 miles out on Saturday didn't see any life out there so headed back in. One of us hooked on a baby great white

Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
Nice job! Super jealous. 5 of us rolled out on the yaks 3 miles out from crystal cove but couldn't find them. Went home with bass and rockfish on Saturday. Not Sunday
[emoji21]

Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
We were there on kayaks exactly 2 miles out on Saturday didn't see any life out there so headed back in. One of us hooked on a baby great white
Ok, so only 2 miles, but 7 + miles round trip! We just need to stick to the plan next time! Rockfish will always be there.

Upvote 0

BigJoe

No fish in O'side
Dec 6, 2005
Vista
Name
Joe
Boat
26', Striper, Wage Burner
Tuna fishing we are having this year is just off the hook....
Great job getting your kids on a bite like that so close to home. I am sure you were not even thinking tuna when you put the plan together..

I am shocked this thread has not gotten more traction...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MItoCali

Mar 26, 2014
Newport Beach,
Name
Stephen
Boat
Pursuit Express 3000 Bella Mare
We caught the tail end of that bite on sunday.... around 4pm, 10-12 boats fish exploding everywhere and would bite anything you threw at em.... was one of the most epic things Ive ever seen!

Upvote 0

ryan27

Jan 6, 2012
costa mesa ca
Name
ryan
Boat
Malia Jean
We caught the tail end of that bite on sunday.... around 4pm, 10-12 boats fish exploding everywhere and would bite anything you threw at em.... was one of the most epic things Ive ever seen![/QUOTE

It was miles of breaking bluefin for 3 hrs Kids will remember it forever!

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Wow, you have some lucky kids there! They will never forget that fishing trip....nor will you! Awesome job!!!

Upvote 0

Michael H.

Jan 25, 2008
RANCHO CUCAMONGA
Name
MIKE HARRIS
Boat
No Boat
I like to respond to the kids reports. It always brings out the memories of when my dad took me out on 1/2 day boats out of arts landing, now newport landing, some 55 years ago. I still tell stories about my experiences and given your childrens unbelievable day they will to. Great report.

Reactions: Mackinlay
Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
2 miles from the harbor with kids and a boat load of quality bft, just amazing.

I wouldn't want to be a sushi restaurant owner in so cal right now, everyone is simply getting their own A-grade "market price" bft.

Upvote 0