kids & seasickness prevention, what do you use???

catchabigone

Fair is fair. Donate Life. Be an organ donor
Dec 14, 2006
shelter cove
Name
dave
Boat
2008 Trophy 2152, Seafoam
As a captain on a lake where the only bite might never come, I don't recommend trophy trout fishing for the young. When parents insist that their 5yrear old can fight and land a twenty plus pound rainbow i tell them Dramamine, when asked if they should use the non drowsy formula I tell them in my experience that non drowsy doesn't work as well. Nothing better than two five or six year old asleep in the V berth until a fish comes along. Better that telling them each spot on the fish finder is not always a fish. and feeding them candy and soda on a twenty six foot boat.

Reactions: Gil Marlin

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
As a captain on a lake where the only bite might never come, I don't recommend trophy trout fishing for the young. When parents insist that their 5yrear old can fight and land a twenty plus pound rainbow i tell them Dramamine, when asked if they should use the non drowsy formula I tell them in my experience that non drowsy doesn't work as well. Nothing better than two five or six year old asleep in the V berth until a fish comes along. Better that telling them each spot on the fish finder is not always a fish. and feeding them candy and soda on a twenty six foot boat.
but when you see how Big their eye's Get after Catching one
is Priceless

☆THRASHER☆

Thrashing Some Rods.
Jul 23, 2014
Renton WA
Name
Jason Champion
Boat
GW 272 sailfish
We've tried Dramamine and some other stuff doesn't seem to have much effect. Our solution has become puke and rally. Get him on the fish, problem solved. I started taking him 60 miles offshore on our boat when he was almost 7.
20160717_094720.jpg

mulegemike

Well-Known "Member"
May 7, 2012
Mission Viejo
Name
Mike
Boat
Skipjack 262 "Pescadero"
If that Seaband works sounds like the way to go. You can also try giving him a small dose of Benadryl before going to bed. It will help him sleep and still be in his system when he wakes up. My kids and I have used it and it works. Also make sure he has food and water in his system before getting on the boat and during the day on the water.

stanky1

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 11, 2009
Carlsbad
Name
Squid Mark
Boat
Scout 175 Sportfish
Drugs will help, but you gotta teach them to look at the horizon and not focus on the bait fish squished on the deck. Too much attention to anything inside the boat will get them sick, especially if they are looking down. If they are having trouble with motion sickness, tie and bait the hooks for them because it will take them too long. Teach them to sway opposite to the roll of the boat while looking outward to the horizon.

If this doesn't work, have them lie flat, oriented in line with the length of the boat, head toward the bow, and close their eyes. Near the stern is better since there will be less motion.

And hydrate them up before leaving the dock.

Texlee

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Get a Seaband and some Dramamine. Have him put the band on the day before the trip and give him the Dramamine the day before. Tell him if you do this you will not get sick then don't mention the "sick" word again. Then the day of the trip give him 1/2 pill of Dramamine. Then another half about every 6 or so hours. But never ask him if he feels sick. He will do just fine. Have a good trip and give us a report.
Tex

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Quit being a cheapass and buy a skiff to take Dom and Uncle Carl fishing in. If he gets a little green you can let him drive the boat back into the bay for spotty and hali fun. By the time he's a teen you'll be fishing together offshore with seasickness a long forgotten non issue.

430 hp 70

Always Learning
Aug 27, 2009
Carlsbad, CA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Skipjack "My Girl"
I got a prescription for promethazine for my 8 year old. Made him super drowsy and he'd still get sick. The last two trips we've put an herbal patch behind his ear and given him half a dramamine and hes been fine. It's my wife that continues to get sick even with the patch. Im going to have to figure something out....