kids & seasickness prevention, what do you use???

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Slater, Jul 25, 2016.

1. jdmanowar

jdmanowar Member

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    none yet
    SEABAND seaband seaband...Trust me, my godson has a very weak stomach...poor little guy even gets sick on the winding road up to big bear to go trout fishing...A british naval officer I fished with once told me about the seaband because he used to get sick, not anymore! And it worked wonders for my godson, both on the water and on the winding road...plus, no drugs...you can find them for $10 bucks or so at rite-aid and the like. Good luck:jig:

2. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Ive found that all of the medications for motion sickness make me drowsy,but they work ! Better to be sleepy than seasick.That wrist thing is a load of crap,along with ginger.More psychological effect than anything.But if it works use it.

3. salty brain

salty brain Nothing but salt between the ears

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    what ever floats
    rugbay travel sickness sold on amazon 100 pills for about 5,6 bucks 25 mg meclizine as worked great for my daughter ever sense she was 6 or 7 and works for me.

4. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    I agree with this 100%. I use to have to tell my wife to stfu before every trip cuz she'd keep talking about "what if you get seasick"? "Make sure you do this and do that so you don't get sick, blah blah blab" .........stfu already and he wont get sick!

Texlee likes this.
  5. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    Mothers, for sure ;)

6. catchabigone

catchabigone Fair is fair. Donate Life. Be an organ donor

Name:
    dave
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 2152, Seafoam
    As a captain on a lake where the only bite might never come, I don't recommend trophy trout fishing for the young. When parents insist that their 5yrear old can fight and land a twenty plus pound rainbow i tell them Dramamine, when asked if they should use the non drowsy formula I tell them in my experience that non drowsy doesn't work as well. Nothing better than two five or six year old asleep in the V berth until a fish comes along. Better that telling them each spot on the fish finder is not always a fish. and feeding them candy and soda on a twenty six foot boat.

Gil Marlin likes this.
  7. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    but when you see how Big their eye's Get after Catching one
    is Priceless

8. ☆THRASHER☆

☆THRASHER☆ Thrashing Some Rods.

Name:
    Jason Champion
    Boat:
    GW 272 sailfish
    We've tried Dramamine and some other stuff doesn't seem to have much effect. Our solution has become puke and rally. Get him on the fish, problem solved. I started taking him 60 miles offshore on our boat when he was almost 7. 20160717_094720.jpg

9. mulegemike

mulegemike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Skipjack 262 "Pescadero"
    If that Seaband works sounds like the way to go. You can also try giving him a small dose of Benadryl before going to bed. It will help him sleep and still be in his system when he wakes up. My kids and I have used it and it works. Also make sure he has food and water in his system before getting on the boat and during the day on the water.

10. stanky1

stanky1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Squid Mark
    Boat:
    Scout 175 Sportfish
    Drugs will help, but you gotta teach them to look at the horizon and not focus on the bait fish squished on the deck. Too much attention to anything inside the boat will get them sick, especially if they are looking down. If they are having trouble with motion sickness, tie and bait the hooks for them because it will take them too long. Teach them to sway opposite to the roll of the boat while looking outward to the horizon.

If this doesn't work, have them lie flat, oriented in line with the length of the boat, head toward the bow, and close their eyes. Near the stern is better since there will be less motion.

And hydrate them up before leaving the dock.

11. Texlee

Texlee Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alben Lee
    Boat:
    Excel
    Get a Seaband and some Dramamine. Have him put the band on the day before the trip and give him the Dramamine the day before. Tell him if you do this you will not get sick then don't mention the "sick" word again. Then the day of the trip give him 1/2 pill of Dramamine. Then another half about every 6 or so hours. But never ask him if he feels sick. He will do just fine. Have a good trip and give us a report.
    Tex

12. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Quit being a cheapass and buy a skiff to take Dom and Uncle Carl fishing in. If he gets a little green you can let him drive the boat back into the bay for spotty and hali fun. By the time he's a teen you'll be fishing together offshore with seasickness a long forgotten non issue.

13. 430 hp 70

430 hp 70 Always Learning

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    26' Skipjack "My Girl"
    I got a prescription for promethazine for my 8 year old. Made him super drowsy and he'd still get sick. The last two trips we've put an herbal patch behind his ear and given him half a dramamine and hes been fine. It's my wife that continues to get sick even with the patch. Im going to have to figure something out....