Kids on a 3 day trip.

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by jigstrike, May 12, 2015.

1. jigstrike

jigstrike SCUBA Spearing Daddy

Name:
    Tom McKinney
    Boat:
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    My young son wants me to take him on a trip with me. I was thinking a 3 day trip on the American Angler. What the youngest you have seen on a trip and how did it work out? He is almost 8 and pretty big for his age. Lexa 400a with a 7 ft graphite stick and dad as his personal deckahnd. And a well stocked ipad with headphones for the in between

2. Philligan

Philligan Philligan

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    The one that I can get on...
  3. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    My wife and I were on a three day late summer trip on the RR a couple years ago. There were two 8 year old kids on board, both did ok on the boat and caught tuna. One of the kids was a tuna slaying fool. That kid needed no help and wailed on the tuna using a little Wopper Stopper. Both caught fish and seemed to enjoy the time with their dads.

I myself have a special needs son who loves fishing, when he goes with me I'm his personal deckhand as you plan; I have as much fun helping him to catch fish as I do catching fish myself. I would not hesitate to take your son!

4. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    I would say go for it as ling as you give the trip over to your son. Equal time for fishing, eating, and farting around. Do it right and you will have someone to take you fishing when you need the extra help on future trips.

5. nick17yz

nick17yz TUNA TOKER

Name:
    Nick Rekrut
    Boat:
    Longrange
    Took my 7year,2 months old on a 5 day. Held his own and got compliments at the end of the trip. I'll never forget that trip. His best catch was a 23 lb yellow. Begging me to go nonstop now..

6. Ryanhu

Ryanhu Newbie

Name:
    Ryn
    Boat:
    CuLeader
    I have been taking my son since he was 8, we usually ride the shogun. I started him off with the 2.5 day freezer fillers and I can't go with out him now. The bluefin might be tough for him if you get into that larger grade fish but everything else he should be ok. I would recommend a level wind to keep it easy for him

sierraazuel and Olddog8 like this.
  7. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    I think it depends in the target species. Small paddy tuna and YT would be a lot of fun for him. If the boat is targeting the bigger Bluefin I don't think he would be able to handle them. Either way I'm sure he would like to spend time with his pops.

8. Arima-bob

Arima-bob pescadore n j├Ąger

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    I would take him too! It might be tough to do a three day, but with the iPad, I think he'll be just fine. I always wanted to go on a big trip like that as a kid and never got to. I didn't get to go on an overnighter until I was in my mid 20's. Been lovin it ever since!

hawkplayer32 likes this.
  9. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Should be ok. My father taking me long range fishing changed my life. Took me years to figure out how lucky I was, and still am. I miss fishing with my father, he's 91 and still eating my fish almost every day. Good luck, keep an eye on the kids.

10. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    Have you taken him on an overnighter?

stairman and Blackfish like this.
  11. Hooops

Hooops I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Hoops
    Boat:
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    Go for it... I take my boys on 1-2 day trips - typically one at a time.

Be sure to get them acclimated to the boat, crew, passengers and fishing protocol... don't just start fishing yourself until you know your kid has a clear idea of what is going on.

I'll add one more note - I always bring my kids PFD - if it's grease calm I will leave it in the bunk room - but if it's a bit nautical - I make him wear it.

12. luckylogger6

luckylogger6 Member

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    none
    As long as he has experience and has the hang of fishing live bait on 3/4 day type trips I think it sounds great. I would go later summer when the yellowfin are on the chew. Bluefin acting like Bluefin can be frustrating enough to a seasoned adult. I would look for a reel with a low gear ratio so he can rail it and turn the handle.

13. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Whaler Guardian
    Sounds like fun as long as he doesn't get sea sick and you plan to be his personal deck hand. I was on a 5 day many years ago and one father had his two younger boys with him. Half way thru the trip, everyone was hooking and handing off to these kids, absolutely hilarious. The kids couldn't lift their arms at the end of each day.

Bring a coffee grinder with lighter line for some giggles. After everyone gets their fill of fish, it's hilarious to fish with.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    stairman likes this.
  14. CaptJgray

CaptJgray I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    its all about the crew and the parent helping.

If its big bluefin it just means young to spend more time helping...

My first BFT was at 10 years old on a goof off at Tanner, fish weighed 80 pounds... try eating that heart! it was like an apple

Aaron has been taking his daughter on the Shogun for a couple years on the Shogun on trips up to 5 days i believe. and she just turned 6

its like anything, a LOT depends on the kid...

if people don't want to be around your kid for 3 hours please do not take them on a 3 day...

kenfishken and Olddog8 like this.
  15. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    We had one on a 15 day trip. He had a banana seat on the butt of the rod to sit on while on big tuna. The kid was fantastic.

Olddog8 likes this.
  16. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Donna how old was that kid? He was a youngster that out fished us all. Great kid.

17. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    as others have said it depends on the kid....but mostly people love to help out a kid on those situations more then their fellow angler.A dearly departed friend of mine took his 7 year old that was small for his age and the kid killed the albacore...it was cool having him as the winch to pull on the fish I handed him so I could grab another rod and hook another. His pile at the end of the trip was bigger then all but a couple other people. He was only about ten inches taller then the rail so he used the rail the whole time..lol

Olddog8 likes this.
  18. gnehekul

gnehekul I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Fishead
    Boat:
    cash carrying ho
    just stay with your kid. I was on a 2.5 day where the dad did his fishing and the kid tried to fish as best as he can (he was around 10) in the end dad sat inside (feeling sick and trying the best he can) and the fish was hitting the rails next to me and started to shiver when the wind started to pick up. I told him to get a jacket but he didn't want to leave the rail so I gave him mine.

at 8 he should be fine with a personal deck him :) everyone around should understand and give him more room and will cheer him on. I personally would rather lose my fish than have the kid next to me lose his during a tangle. kids catching rock fish even smile like crazy!

19. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Dave, I believe he was 8, if I remember correctly he caught a 190 lber

20. Mike Myers

Mike Myers Member

Name:
    Mike Myers
    Boat:
    16' Whaler
    Not to be the buzz kill, but I've seen it go bad once. Dad hovering over son in the corner the whole trip like they owned it, with everyone else having to deal with it. Not cool. The other times it was great to see a kid get turned on to fishing, so long as learning boat etiquette is a big part of the experience. Maybe an overniter to start. Loved fishing with my dad, good luck.

kenfishken likes this.