Kicker 25 light JRI 3

Paulo Grandez

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 28, 2014
Name
Paulo
Boat
N/A
How do you fish the kicker 25 light the JRI 3 and OCT surface irons? Specifically the retrieval speed. I know on a Tady C you just wind it in and a 45 is a medium slow retrieval rate but for the above-mentioned jigs I have no idea.

Last edited:

Adrien Baker

Born to get down.
May 18, 2016
Taft
www.pbnation.com
Name
Adrien Baker
Boat
Ultra
I see you’ve edited your post—that definitely helps with the question.

In my experience, Tady jigs swim better at a slower retrieve and in my opinion the Kicker jigs do as well. You can definitely swim the Kicker jigs faster than a Tady and still get good action though. JRI jigs seem to swim well no matter what so those you can adjust to your liking and to what the fish want. Never fished an OCT but I imagine they are as good if not better than JRI.

I swam an original Starman 112 in the pool the other day and it looked so good I wanted to eat it.

Adrien

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
For the JRIs search "jri ultimate breakdown"

OCT seems pretty similar to a heavier 3. The Kickers work a lot better if you give them a 5 count sink first since they're so light.

The one thing I'll say about pool testing is that jigs swim very differently when at the end of the retrieve than at the end of a cast, much more so than is accounted for by retrieval speed varying with spool diameter. The angle change and line stiffness changes the kick out, so it's good to get more than a backyard pool length to get a full idea how a jig swims.

Reactions: Adrien Baker

finsane

Jabroni
Oct 11, 2005
California
Name
Dennis
Boat
None
Fish that kicker like a Tady 45, just watch the speed till you get the kick you're after.

carterantebi

I hate fishing
Oct 9, 2016
Coronado
Name
Carter
Boat
Pacific Queen!
You gotta just find out for yourself. Each iron swims different.

AWilliams

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
I chuck it out...let it sink for a count of 2-3 and start winding until I can spot it and then I''ll adjust the speed untill I like what I see in the water.

Reactions: Paulo Grandez