Kern River

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by clancy, Jun 26, 2006.

1. clancy

clancy Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    16ft zodiac
    Heading up to raft and fish the Kern in late July. Will be driving up the 395 to the 178 was wondering if anyone knows of some good spots to fish on the way up.:cool:

2. Master of Waves

Master of Waves Newbie

Name:
    Jim DeCarlo
    Boat:
    22ft SeaSwirl, Pescadito
    Until the river flow drops some it will be tough fishing in the stretch north of Isabella to the Hatchery or Power Plant. I was just up there and the water is really moving which is great for rafting but not good for fishing.

3. MM2

MM2 thunnus

Name:
    charlie
    Boat:
    26'PACEMAKER SPORTFISHER "CORAZON"
    north end of isabella near the airport was producing some small to medium catfish on shad, you can also find some parts of the river producing trout where it turns in and pools try powerbait yellow, but as the gentleman said before you'll have more fun cathin rafts then fish untill it slows down.MM2/Charlie

4. umoa

umoa silent

Name:
    jimmy
    Boat:
    18' starcraft "big knockers"
    just came back from isabella and the section under isabella is barely fishable. im surprised there is so much water again.

5. Baja Dreamer

Baja Dreamer Push the button Max!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None
    They, The Army Corp of Engineers.), are dropping the lake level at least two feet due to fears that a major quake would breach the damn and do major damage to Bakersfield.

Like the damn hasn't been leaking this much for about 25 years!

Flows in the upper river are almost as high with the rise in temps increasing the melt off.

Some of the rafting in the lower river was deemed too dangerous for some of the rafting companies because some of the hot runs are at class 5 now! most of the companies have been working hard to get their guides up to speed. This is the best year that most of them have ever seen for rafting on the Kern!

FISH HARD!

Chris

6. umoa

umoa silent

Name:
    jimmy
    Boat:
    18' starcraft "big knockers"
    my bro was actually going up for a rafting trip but it got cancelled. i had no idea isabella was that full. i used to have to walk down alot, could see the bottom of the dam, etc, and now its all full!

7. clancy

clancy Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    16ft zodiac
    Thanks, I'll fish where I can and hopefully be able to raft. Tight Lines

8. Baja Dreamer

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None
    This is the highest the lake has been since the tree huggers got a federal judge to issue an injunction against raising it above a certain level because of 17 nesting pairs of a species of fly catcher birds that are rare in that area.

Wanna know why they are rare there? Because they were OUTSIDE OF THEIR NORMAL RANGE!!!

That lake was built to water this end of the valley for drinking and agriculture. Not filling it to rated capacity is just wasting water in every wet year! It was also adversely affecting tourism for the towns of Isabella, Kernville, Wofford Heights, and Weldon.

Most of those folks were of the opinion that the whole problem could've bee solved for the cost of two boxes of shotgun shells! Death_To_

FISH HARD!

Chris

9. Baja Dreamer

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None
    The fishing may be problematic but the rafting should be an outrageous E-ticket ride!

ENJOY!!!

FISH HARD!

Chris