Ken's trip, Angler 9/27-10/4

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Steve K, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Sunday 9/27

Departure day was a busy one as six Long Range boats turned around on Sunday, heading out on 6-10 day trips. Excel, Searcher, Angler, Intrepid, Independence and Vagabond. We were among the last of the boats to get away. Add to that the two boats that departed on Friday, Rooster on a 6 day and Spirit of Adventure on an 8 day, and the Royal Star that departed on a 7 day on Saturday. It's gonna be crowded!

Anyway, we connected with each other in line. Lots of new faces for me and one familiar one, Joe with whom I had fished before. Two couples, Lenny and Marge and the Bishops (Party of Two) George and Molly. Many of these guys have been fishing this trip for years, and Wes represented for Ken's Custom Reels. Loaded up around noon, made our way to the bait receivers to load up on good sized Sardines, that looked a little weak, but they started off OK. A few Macks in the mix and we were off.

Captain Ray Lopez came into the galley for the safety speech, orientation to the boat and to give us the game plan. Adding to the large procession of boat was a rough weather forecast for Tuesday for 3-4 days. We ere going to head down and go fishing, that's what we do. Ray also introduced the stellar crew of Andrew, Brad, Justin and David as well as Josh and Nick in the galley. The rest of the day was travel time, heading south to see what we could find.

Wes began the giveaways and they were very generous. To begin, everybody got a nice grab bag with some hooks, some wire leaders made up for Wahoo bait fishing, a few hooks, a little spool of 30 lb Izorline Fluorocarbon and a couple of jigs, and a tee shirt. Then he began the raffle for the individual prizes. Several nice Calstar blanks, (your choice) and a completed rod. Terminal tackle and fluorocarbon etc. some nice prizes. I was the fortunate recipient of a small six compartment tray loaded with iron!

Monday 9/28

Lots of looking for not much of anything. Ray was in an area where he was pleased to see some schools of that better grade tuna, but after circling on them numerous times, chumming circles and doing a few drifts, it became apparent that they just weren't in a biting mood. He jokes about the list of Captain's excuses, (the sun was in my eyes) ;) and now I think he can add another one. Super Moon last night with a total Lunar Eclipse! Looks like the whole ocean is in a funk as some of the reports from other boats are anything but spectacular. Time to head further south. Benitos has been holding some Yellowfin, so we're going to check those out in the morning.

Tuesday 9/29 and Wednesday 9/30

Benitos turned out a decent scratch on Yellowfin, 20-25 pounders. We only got 28 of them and I was fortunate to get three. The bite shut off so we made the crossing to Cedros with Marauders in the water, trolling for Wahoo and managed on on the troll, but that was it. We caught a few Yellows, mostly Yoyo iron and dropper loop fish, and after dinner in the lee, we headed up to gain some altitude and check out a spot on the beach. We made bait two nights in a row and it bit pretty good early and then when the moon came up, it shut off rather quickly. So, with the tanks loaded up with quality greenies, we were off to catch some Yellowtail.

Thursday 10/1

Canoas! Mother load of biting Yellows, up on the shallow. Boils on the chumline were encouraging and I managed to wrangle one to the boat on the surface iron. Making good use of our tanks of Mackerel, they started coming over the rail pretty readily. Whoo Hooo! Gettin' some. So, with daily limits all around, we headed North, still battling the wind and accompanying conditions. Sure going to be nice as we're headed uphill at a controlled speed to anchor up in the lee of San Martin. Good Night!

Friday 10/2

Waited it out until around lunch time when Ray asked to have the anchor pulled and we headed up to an anchorage on some hard bottom where we were able to drop the hook and do some shallow water fishing for Lings n Things. They bit pretty well and we also had the occasional Yellowtail. Little or no current allowed us to fish as little as 4 oz of weight. Then, it was back to San Martin to hunker down for our final day.

Saturday 10/3

Ray was up early and ran us out to "the grounds" for some kelping. Unfortunately, this angler was not ready when it happened. I had not prepared for the early morning duel with Wahoo, which was very short lived. I had failed to tie on a jig and a bomb on my two Wahoo casting outfits. I'd tell you what they were, rod and reel, but they never got used so no snese wasting time on that. I was in the stateroom pulling on my boots and applying a generous dose of sunscreen when we got a jig strike and three more on jigs and bombs. On deck to see these fish, I went to grab a rod and tie something on when another of the Marauders went off for our final Wahoo jigstrike and final Wahoo of the trip. The rest of the day was spent looking for kelps which were hard to find and sometimes not holding. Some of the guys picked off a few decent sized Dorado, but none for me. Soon, it was time to wrap it up and head for home.

Sunday 10/4

Back home and quickly unloaded. JP weighed up and we're off after fish processing and goodbyes, see you next time. I have plenty of Yellowtail in the freezer so mine got donated through Fish-Food-Feel Good www.f3g.org Mine went to the First United Methodist Church in Bishop for the Soup Kitchen where they serve lunch 3 days a week to 60-80 people. They're grateful for the protein.

So, here are the pics from the Angler website.

Molly and George with a Tuna

Chris and then Marge with their Yellowtail. Chris was my roommate, and for Marge, first trip, first Yellow. When it was time for the pic, Andrew asked if she wanted him to hold the fish. She was just so cute when she quickly replied: "That's OK, I got it!"

A shot of Andrew and anglers Steve and John, with one of the Yellows from our best day of catching at Canoas.

Here's the results of the Crew Fishing Contest, Andrew won with a Yellow.

The four fish Bingo on our last day

And the JP:
    1st Dick Brown 32.5# wahoo
    2nd John Lingenberg 28.8#wahoo
    3rd Todd Craig 27.8#yellowtail

View attachment 629853

molly.jpeg

Chris.jpeg

Marge.jpeg

Andrew on the gaff.jpeg

Goof off.jpeg

Bingo.jpeg

kens-7-day-jp-15-448x600.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  2. Texlee

Texlee Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alben Lee
    Boat:
    Excel
    Tear um up guys.

3. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    Nice, thanks for the report.

4. redsnapper517

redsnapper517 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Thanks Steve , Nice Job on the donations to the church as well ...
    Looks like a Great Time .

5. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    A good write up Steve, I felt I was there. Every trip is different and fun for sure. Sounds like it was a good trip with good people to share the time with. A nice touch to donate your yellowtail.

6. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Another fun trip on the Angler for you! Congrats Steve and thanks for sharing!

7. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Steve, looks like you had a fun trip. Thanks for the report! Ken's Custom Reels and the American Angler are great operations and good people.

- Jeff Burroughs

8. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Rainy day here. What worked? On the tuna at Benitos, I had no problem getting bit on 40 lb fluoro and a 4/0 sized hook. I know some like to drop down (or feel they need to) to lighter line to get bit. I see Chad had an experience on the Rooster as well and they had 100 fish, but he said "The theme of the day was light line and small hooks because the fish were line shy. Because of this, we farmed a bunch (I lost 10 personally to hook pulls and breakoffs)." I think he said this was a crew suggestion. They had 100 fish and he caught six of them. We had 28 and I had three of them. Mileage does vary. ;)

Attached pic is of the Tady 4/0 I won in the tray of jigs. Todd was using one of these, so I looked, sure enough, had one. Mopped the Yellows, next three drops, three fish.
    Coincidence? Previously, I have scoffed at the Baitwraps and written them off as more expensive than they could be worth, at twice the cost of a Salas 6X or Tady 4/0/
    I would have a look for this jig in the tackle store if you're targeting Yellows. Kind of a Squidly lookin' thing, all pink/purple/brown with splotches.

tady.jpg

9. bluewaterbum

bluewaterbum Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    none
    Steve K, flat falls, the Okuma jigs and JRI's are all 12 to 15 bucks a pop, therefore, bait wraps aren't anymore expensive in the long run of things.
    Yes, Tady and Salas are cheaper and do work great to this day, but you fish with what your comfortable with. For me Flat-falls and Salas jigs is mostly what you see in my jig box. I do have Raider jigs and Sea-Strike jigs but for Wahoo.