Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
In 2014 I had Cal and his gang hotrod and blueprint my 16VSX, and put line on my 30 and 50VSX. All 3 reels came back home as expected. Excellent work.
This year I thought about checking Ken's out. Sent him 5 reels to put line on. All Penn reels needless to say. Fathom 25N, 2 each 40NLD2's, and 2 each SQL16VS. All in preparation of my upcoming 10 dayer. All reels came back home just like I sent them with the addition of line. The line is packed so tight you cannot drive a nail in it. Excellent work.
I would recommend either company for your reel needs.
Tex.

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
Never used Cal's as of yet, but have dealt with Ken at FHS. Stand up group there. A little far from me for routine stuff, but, yep, I totally agree for sure.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Back in 2014 I called up Cal and talked about what the reels I had and what I planned on doing with them. I told him I was on a 10 day variety trip. I wanted to get my 16VSX blueprinted but I asked him about doing the same thing to my 30 and 50VSX. Those are my heavy heavy dropper loop rigs. He advised me that I shouldn't spend the money to have them worked over. That shows a lot of character. He could just as easily said I needed to get them worked over, but he didn't.
Tex

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Another vote for Kens Reel. Wes is the man..!!!

Reactions: dweston

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
As Kevin is usually quick to point out, you'll never meet two more genuine guys than Ken and Wes. Nothing but great service and advice. Picked up a new reel spooled with spectra at the Fred Hall show. After looking online, decided to go with Ken. Never looked back, no regrets.

And now, after viewing some of the troubles that are being reported, glad I took the time to listen.

Last edited:

The Reel Grind

Jul 26, 2005
san diego
Name
kane
Boat
258 Grady White Journey
I have used Kens Custom Reel in Oceanside for all of my fishing needs for over 20 years. Ken and Wes are stand up guys that will never take advantage of anyone and are sincerely generous. I would recommend them for any reel service/repair and anything you could need. Cal has blueprinted several of my reels including a Penn VSX 16, VSX 30 and Baker 30. After his blueprinting those reels can reel in a mack truck if needed, no need to go bigger for cows.