Kennedy fisher rods

Tarpun

Jun 27, 2006
FL
Name
Dave
Boat Name
20 Seacraft MA 1980
Biscayne Rod in Miami sold a lot of KF blanks for a lot of years. They a also had a line of KF fiberglass blanks made especially for them called KC custom named after Karl Carmen the owner. Finest glass blanks I've ever seen. Top shelf tod company. I believe they are still in business. Kenny Carmen was running it last I knew. Most knowledgeable rod guy I ever met.

Reactions: jonhjax
Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat Name
23 ft. crestliner
Ran across this old post today while looking for info about J. Kennedy Fisher rods. I stumbled across one at a swapmeet recently. It is marked "Custom made by 3 J's" "J. Kennedy Fisher Inc." "#928 RM2 25 to 50 LB line".
The rod is 8', one piece with a heavy metal reelseat and old hypalon grips. The rod feels a little like a D8 but the tip is lighter and it has a faster action than a D8. I assume the 928 is the blank number but does anyone know what the RM2 refers to. I was going to strip it and rewrap it with new guides and a deckhand grip but I think I will hold off for awhile until I decide what I want to do with it.

Upvote 0

PirateExplorer

BirdOfParadise
Aug 3, 2010
El Cajon
Name
Roger
Boat Name
NotMine
Gotta be a 528, best 7'9'-7'11" jig stick made. I still fish one and have one virgin blank left. D8's come next.

I posted this years ago an never actually came back to reply. My apologies Mike! I just sent you another PM regarding the same rod as I have a potential buyer. No need to answer on the the questions about the blank....just trying to gauge what these things are worth! Any idea of where to start would be fantastic. Let me know! Thanks in advance.

Reactions: mike mitchell
Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat Name
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
I have 3 KF rods that i love and I bought them years ago off Frank the rod man in mira mesa without even realizing whoat i wad buying , i have one 7 foot and 2. 8 foot rods that are about as thick of glass as you will ever see , KF was way ahead of the rod building game of the day and i still use my one of my 8 footers for white seabass fishing in Puertp San Isdiro, i own several Trulines along with 2 D 8s and i prize my KF rods more than all of my classics 3 of my Trulines were built by Dave Bell ypu scored picking up a K F

Upvote 0

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat Name
nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
Old thread, I know. i'm min search of one of those too, i flipper took mine off me with the excuse that he was just starting and wanted it sooo bad, an a couple of my Trulines too, wanted it for his fishing collection and flipped it a week later. a Rat! Never should have let him have my blank.

I'm looking for a 7 1/2', 8' to 9' JKF to replace that rod/blank.I got it from Blackie, well know Captain here in San Diego in the 60's-''70's. DAMN!! I've got a heavy 919, same color as the ones above, looking to trade for the one I'm looking for and I'll throw in a Original Truline OG7X65 I have, in addition to the 919, It's about 6'9" and Heavy!!!
I used in Guad. Island for dropper loop Yellow home guards, and baiting big Yellowfin, and it killed them, I have two, so one will be left.

P.S. Got it up for sale now, it's a 919.

PM me...

Last edited:
Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat Name
Lookin' for a trade. I'll trade a Truline D8 for the one I'm looking for now, a 928 or something similar. Or, I have a LB all Cherry colored Super Seeker CJBF85, I got in about '99 or '00, and never wrapped. Wrapped one of them, not the second one.

Upvote 0

eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Costa Mesa Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat Name
no mas
Years ago there was a place in this area called "Stanley Andrews Sporting Goods". They moved a lot of Kennedy Fisher rods built custom for them with the label "Ram Rods". If memory serves me correctly, they had a white, orange and brown wrap combo.
Was that one of the original Turners stores? After a divorce Shirley Andrews sold the stores to Jesse Turner in the early 80's from what I read...

Upvote 0

Mtnfshr

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 20, 2011
Thornton
Name
Chuck Mc
Boat Name
none
No. It never was a Turner's store. The location actually became something else after Stanley Andrews shut down.

Upvote 0

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat Name
I'm having JKF wrapped and kitted in my colors. I was told it's a 928, but after reading these posts it may really be a 528. It's 8', and 30-50. Going to use it to throw surface iron (too fat and old for the 9' rods). Rod is dark brown with the gold spots.

Any info would be appreciated.
Very late reply, but it's a 928, I have two fo them. I'm selling 7'7", sweet bend, one now one Trulines and Vintage rods...

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat Name
24'custom
Very late reply, but it's a 928, I have two fo them. I'm selling 7'7", sweet bend, one now one Trulines and Vintage rods...
Are 928’s parabolic 30lb rods with thick heavy walls and a small tip??
Is this about right?
890-(50) 6’8 Xfast taper
919-(40) 7’ fast
928-(30) 8’2 moderate (parabolic)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat Name
I am in search of a specific JK Fisher rod that I sadly let go years ago , It was 7' or so hype / cork tape with copper ,fuschia metallic thread base and second wrap . don't remember what I had on top maybe red or brown . Best bait stick ever 25/40#
From what I figure it may have been a xc 4070 ?
I am searching for a special bait stick , if anyone knows anyone that might have a jk to share please let me know .

Thank you .
A late reply, but I'm selling my set of JKF's and a friends's JKF's, that are the '70's beautiful brown "snakeskin" rods. many are about 7' length, Tuna/Yellowtail rods. One's an All Roller Troller. Best fishing rods I've ever used in 55 years and still strong. Interested? please send me a message here or text 619 850-1242

Upvote 0

Latest posts