AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
In the 8 and 9' Kencor jigsticks made a few years ago, there was one that was a green kind-of barber pole blank and a grey barber pole blank. Which is which regarding fiberglass, composite or graphite..thanks

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Not sure. Hope you get a solid answer

So fun. Kencor 4' ultra light for trout and back ponds LMB, Bluegill and SD feeder rivers

I broke mine at upper twin lake. Thanks for the kencor reminder. Noodle

Lake Poway. Either side could launch a light weight bait to the boat dock from the line. 4 footer fully loaded. No water bobber

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Not sure. Hope you get a solid answer

So fun. Kencor 4' ultra light for trout and back ponds LMB, Bluegill and SD feeder rivers

I broke mine at upper twin lake. Thanks for the kencor reminder. Noodle

Lake Poway. Either side could launch a light weight bait to the boat dock from the line. 4 footer fully loaded. No water bobber
Most of my fresh water light trout rods are Kencor. Tough to beat the action of those light glass rods.

Reactions: ZZZZZ

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
Thanks guys...never fished the small trout stuff. The saltwater stuff has my eye. Anyone know the make up of the longer saltwater stuff?

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
Kencor fan boy here ... for the orange surf rods

two years ago I bought one of them 9’ green barber stripped graphite spinner rods for I recall about $200, think it’s raTed for 15-30 And I used it for surface jigs small yellowtail

very disappointed, from cheap foam grips to ultra cheap reel seat that broke almost immediately

shortly after that I saw the same rod for $80 new

I would avoid the kencor green zebra rods, I am pretty sure they are made overseas and the components look and feel cheap, even the blank feels like cardboard composite

the real branded orange Zebra kencor rods are the original quality, but I was never impressed with their factory components

Last edited:

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
I believe the twist on mine is graphite wrap

I’m fishing saltwater and my taste these days is calstar grafighter - hard to compare the two brands

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
Just had a 9' grey zebra wrapped...feels awesome. Put a reel on it and tied it to my bumper...put a nice deep bend in it. Feels great..looking for a few more. Got any grey ones...? Thx.

Wrecksford

Almost A Member
Sep 14, 2006
Oside
Name
rb
Boat
Defiance 220
I had a dark grey/black 9'er. It was all glass. Forget the name of the model but it was fun for yellowtail. I made the mistake of throwing a 7x into a foamer of 120# BFT 2 years ago and the rod snapped after 3 hours of pulling. My buddy had the same one that also snapped somehow... We bought them at Day at the Docks like 15 years ago

kenstevens1

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 1, 2013
huntington beach /ca/us
Name
ken
Boat
none
Green no good. Green and black no good. Blue no good. Black and grey new and old version fine. Although I have never seen black and grey old version longer than 7 foot new version yes. Orange excellant rod. Seen a few orange jigsticks but never pulled on them. Orange can get very mushy if fished for 20 years.

Reactions: Cubeye

Produce Man

How you Bean ?
Jul 20, 2003
San Diego/Rolando Village
Name
Jay
Boat
14' Hewescraft
I think the G stands for graphite. I built a BPOS and it's all glass. Blank was a BBPOS9H I think .Good throwing 9' er!

Reactions: sealskinner

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    Gpos series have terrible grips and cheap reel seat. I want to have someone strip the old foam and reel seat on mine.