Kelp Patty fishing…floro vs. mono and topshots

Pnut

Sep 17, 2020
El Cajon
Name
Paul
Boat
none
Going on a 1.5 day trip this weekend. I know the boats are targeting the patties. I’ve typically used used 30 yards of topshot of mono in the past. However, I realized I was losing a good deal of yellows in the kelp. My question is should I ditch the mono and just use a short topshot of floro? I would assume it would cut through the kelp easier. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0

luckylogger6

May 19, 2010
Northern CA
Name
Joe
Boat
none
I was out last week with my son on the New Lo Ann and fished long 30lb mono to a 2/0 owner offshore hook. Got 8 yellows 10-15lbs

Sawyer yellow.jpg

Upvote 0

tuna sniffer

SD '63
Jun 16, 2005
La Mesa
Name
Mark
Boat
1 tin 1 glass
First thing is to set your drag properly using a spring scale. . Most like 30% of breaking strength. Sure, a short flouro leader to braid will give you a better shot at getting a fish out.
One tip many guys use is to dip the rod tip a foot or two deep as they are headed for or stuck in the kelp. For some reason it often makes them dive deep and away from the kelp.

Upvote 0

Dozer217

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2010
LBC
Make sure you're not letting the run too far before you set the hook and then have enough drag to stop them from getting back to cover.

Upvote 0

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
Name
Julian
Boat
Boat hoe
Best to use a small piece of floro 3-4 feet and let the braid cut threw the kelp when they run in but you can also try giving them slack so they think they can run back out. The fish is gonna run away from where the pressure is coming from.

Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
I go straight braid as kelt cutter if fish are not line shy. I fish straight braid for bass in kelp bed all the time.

Upvote 0